4.0 V6 Fuel Tank Breather Hose

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SACruiser79
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 4.2D Pick-Up

4.0 V6 Fuel Tank Breather Hose

Post by SACruiser79 »

Hi Guys

I have been driving diesels all my life and had a 3.0 D4d previously and I remember it had a breather hose on the fuel tank which spilt diesel out once when the attendants overfilled the tank.

I recently joined the petrol club and bought a 4.0 V6. I love the power and everything about it, but something strange happened earlier today. I filled up both tanks, it has a long range tank. Then I drove to work, but they are working on our undercover parking at work so we all had to stop outside in the sun.

After about 3 hours, one of the gardeners called me to come see and there was petrol running out under my Hilux, right by the left rear wheel from the fender. I opened the fuel cap only to find it running out under pressure from the fuel cap so I opened the fuel cap and immediately a lot of air pressure and fumes came out and I heard two thumps from the fuel tanks as the shrunk back to normal from the air pressure coming out of them.

This had my quite worried and wondering. Does there petrol Hiluxes also have a overfill hose or breather hose in the fuel tanks? I cannot think it has because, petrol evaporates so I would think if there was a breather, the petrol fumes would evaporate out there, making it firstly dangerous and secondly, you will lose a lot of petrol over time. Diesel I can understand on the other had as diesel does not evaporate as it is more oil based.

So, what happens to petrol tanks in the sun when the pressure builds up? Where does that pressure go, or is it fine for them to be under slight pressure? But just obviously not when they are too full and the petrol then leaks out?

Is there even a breather or overfill hose on the petrol or is it just mine that doesn't have one or it was sealed when they installed the long range tank?

I bought it with the long range tank, so I am not sure what make it is or who installed it.

Any help from the petrol experts?
Masekind
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Re: 4.0 V6 Fuel Tank Breather Hose

Post by Masekind »

Die non return valve op die brandstof prop is uit gehaal om die druk daar te laat uit gaan so as alby tanks prop vol is en dis warm druk die petrol daar uit of as jy teen n helling stop. Die premere tank het n breather maar die LR tank sit gewoonlik hoër as die breather holte op die tank dan is daar petrol in die breather holte en met altwee tanks se druk stoot die petrol by die carbon filter uit wat agter jou battery sit as die brandstof prop se non return valve reg is. Ek het n paar mods op my tank gedoen maar kan nie vir jou se wat het gewerk nie maar het nog nie weer petrol gemors nie
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
Masekind

Post by Masekind »

Hier is die carbon filter, as jy n nuwe prop op sit maak net seker die overflow pyp is nie bo die alternator nie, rotte het myne korter gemaak en die petrol het op die alternator gemors

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
2015-02-20_134632.png
2015-02-20_134632.png (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Mine did the same. Also secondary tank issue.
Do not overfill.
James Cameron
toyo v6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 v6

Post by toyo v6 »

Sterkte daar met die oplosing ek het net die standaard tenk en as ek hom oop maak blaas daar so boetjie lug uit nie eers genoeg om n kers dood te plaas nie. Hoe weet ek dit, ek het dit eendag getoets met n kers.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

toyo v6 wrote:Sterkte daar met die oplosing ek het net die standaard tenk en as ek hom oop maak blaas daar so boetjie lug uit nie eers genoeg om n kers dood te plaas nie. Hoe weet ek dit, ek het dit eendag getoets met n kers.

HaHaHa Jy moet lekker wees .
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Masekind

Post by Masekind »

toyo v6 wrote:Sterkte daar met die oplosing ek het net die standaard tenk en as ek hom oop maak blaas daar so boetjie lug uit nie eers genoeg om n kers dood te plaas nie. Hoe weet ek dit, ek het dit eendag getoets met n kers.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Return to “The Workshop”