Faulty fuel guage with Long range tank. Promblem solved

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Faulty fuel guage with Long range tank. Promblem solved

Post by Bliksempie »

Hello fellow members,

Can anyone please help me with this irritating matter. Last night again I ran out of petrol, and had to ask my angry wife to bring me the necessary containers. :blushing:

On my 97' 2.4P the fuel gauge shows Half when the tank is full. As the tank gets half, the needle shows empty. I just removed the tank, and inspected the VDO for any defects, but none visible on the unit. Usually I filled the tank every time and went according to kilo's driven, but with the economy nowadays I try to cut back a bit on my traveling expenses and only put fuel as I need it.

Is there a way to re-calibrate the system, or do I need to get a secondary income to avoid this embarrassment? Please help :beg: :beg:
Last edited by Bliksempie on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Faulty fuel guage with Long range tank.

Post by The Legend »

Bend the float until it shows correct on the fuel gauge.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Nothing wrong with the float. I did the test by switching the ignition on and moving the float, it does not reach full on the gauge. When the tank is on half, it shows empty on the gauge. Is there no way I can calibrate the unit, as it is because of the Long Range tank?
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Lollie wrote:Bend the float until it shows correct on the fuel gauge.
Dawie, hy wil glad nie vol wys op die gauge nie. Ek glo dit is die oorspronklike VDO wat hulle op die LR ingesit het, maar hy praat nie saam met die meter nie. Dit maak my kop effens plat.

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Re: Faulty fuel guage with Long range tank. Promblem solved

Post by Bliksempie »

Eventually the problem is sorted. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Removed the tank, inspected the VDO and couldn't find the problem. That was when I decided to take out the Cluster. I then manually moved the VDO to the full position and waited a few minutes for the needle to set. After that, I removed the needle on the fuel gauge and put it back to the full position on the fuel gauge. I then moved the VDO to the empty position and just to confirm whether the needle drops to empty on the gauge. It did. :thumbup:

The internet couldn't give me an indication on how to calibrate the unit and hope this information can help fellow forum members on how to do it yourself.

And a word of advice... I did all this myself, and the scars are visible this morning. "Lekker Perdesalf en 'n setpilletjie is my voorland vir die volgende week." :blackeye:

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Glad you got sorted. :thumbup: Enjoy the "setpilletjie" :twisted:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

Robbie22 wrote:Eventually the problem is sorted. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Removed the tank, inspected the VDO and couldn't find the problem. That was when I decided to take out the Cluster. I then manually moved the VDO to the full position and waited a few minutes for the needle to set. After that, I removed the needle on the fuel gauge and put it back to the full position on the fuel gauge. I then moved the VDO to the empty position and just to confirm whether the needle drops to empty on the gauge. It did. :thumbup:

The internet couldn't give me an indication on how to calibrate the unit and hope this information can help fellow forum members on how to do it yourself.

And a word of advice... I did all this myself, and the scars are visible this morning. "Lekker Perdesalf en 'n setpilletjie is my voorland vir die volgende week." :blackeye:
My dad did a similar fir on his old two door golf's speedo.
It was out by over 20km/h and under at that. was driving 140 when the gauge showed 120.

Drove 100 on the highway according to the GPS and remover the dial and installed it at 100.

Worked like a charm...

Glad you got sorted... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”