Electrical (earth?) problem 1994 22r

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Taz
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gormanston
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8D

Electrical (earth?) problem 1994 22r

Post by Taz »

I have just completed a timing chain replacement and when I got everything back together I noticed there was no electricals, (dash lights etc, failed to come on). Found a lug on the negative earth wire that leads directly to the fender panel was worn, so replaced that. Lights come on in dash, engine turns, but feels as though the battery is flattish. Battery is not flat, with 12v at battery terminals and also when measured earthing to the block. Voltage is a lot lower when earthing to a panel. Also, when trying to start the earth wire from the negative terminal to the side panel begins to overheat & smoke.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this???????
Boet Croukamp
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Hi-Lux 4X4 93'SFA
Club VHF Licence: X32

Re: Electrical (earth?) problem 1994 22r

Post by Boet Croukamp »

Replace the earth from the body to engine or better take it from the battery to engine.
Taz
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Taz »

The main earth from the battery to the engine seems fine, it is showing exactly the same voltage as there is across the terminals...no power loss there.

There are two earths coming from the battery...one to the fender (smoking, overheating), & the other (main) to the block. It is the one to the body that seems the problem...but why?
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi,

IIRC there is an earth cable from the engine to the chassis, then from the chassis to the body, and then from the body to the battery neg pole. All potential places for IR drop issues.

In any case, overheating and smoke points to high resistance, which will cause IR drop (which you only get when current is drawn, if you measure when no current is drawn all should measure OK). Like Boet said, install a welding cable directly between bat neg and engine, then you should be fine.

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Taz
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Taz »

Getting dark here now, so will have to check this out tomorrow. Will look at what has been suggested and see if it helps.

Thanks for the responses so far :)
Taz
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Taz »

I couldn't lay my hands on a new cable, so I cleaned up all the contacts around the block on the main earth lead, and....brooooooom she lives again :yahoo:

Thank you for the advice & help. :clap: :clap: :clap:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Taz wrote:I couldn't lay my hands on a new cable, so I cleaned up all the contacts around the block on the main earth lead, and....brooooooom she lives again :yahoo:

Thank you for the advice & help. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Glad you're sorted!!
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:57 am
Did you stay up late or got up early?? :lmao: :lmao:
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi

Return to “The Workshop”