Weird Suspension Behaviour (Knocking Noise)

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Weird Suspension Behaviour (Knocking Noise)

Post by Giovann »

I was driving my hilux on some gravel roads, I notice the front/right is making a very weird oscillating noise when driving at 40kmh+ going over any type of riff/pot whole/rough stuff... It only does it on the right side, the left side is completely stable, civilized and quite over even deep pot wholes. Its not making the ride particularly jittery or jerking the car in any one direction, I can hear it a lot more than I can feel it.

Any ideas on what it could be, I suspect that it could be struts. When I push down on the rights with my body weight it jiggles for a bit after maybe 2 - 3 times after compressing where as the left comes back and stays there.

If its struts how much would it be replace, its 07 D/C Raider 4l V6...
Last edited by Giovann on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Weird Susspension Behaviour

Post by ChrisF »

07 model. what are the kilos ? Original shocks and other bits ?

Condition of the shocks ? This is the item supposed to arrest any oscillations ...

Wheel balancing ? As this is the item normally inducing the oscillations ....

if not these, then bushes in the suspension .....

I see you are in Cape Town. Do yourself a favor and drive to Bellville, Stikland, straight to First Allignment Centre. Johan Tires KNOWS his stuff !! :)
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Weird Suspension Behaviour

Post by Giovann »

The car has 150kms, everything on it is standard... Had wheel alignment and balancing done recently, so it cant be that. Until now I never suspected the shocks of being worn on the road its behaves perfectly, its just when you hit anything remotely rough...

Will make a turn @ First Alignment do you know if they open on Saturdays?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

I dont think they are open on Saturdays. :(
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Eish is there anyone in the CBD I can go to? Otherwise will have to make a plan.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Couldn't make it to First Alignment, thing was bothering me so much that I just pulled into supaquick after taking for a test drive they recon its definitely not normal behavior , but they couldn't find anything wrong at a first glance. Going to take in tomorrow for a more detailed look make, check for any signs of wear on the components.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Ok had the car by toyota service center, they say I have a worn boot on my drive shaft which is resulting in the noise I couldn't notice any play on the drive shaft my self, and worn cvs normally making like a ticking/creaking noise as opposed to the thumping noise when they worn.

The noise I'm hearing seems to come only when I drive over bumps and stuff... I ask them just to check my engine mountings if they sure the issue is not the suspension...
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Weird Suspension Behaviour (Knocking Noise)

Post by Giovann »

Managed to get 1st Wheel Alignment, they said the sound is coming from the shock advised that it be replaced. Since they didn't have stock of the iron man shock they usually sell I went an had a new set of monroes fitted, with no luck... The noise is still there, so now after spending thousands of $ and having the car @ 4 different places I'm still stuck with the same problem and no one knows what it is. :frustrated:
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7 4x4

Re: Weird Suspension Behaviour (Knocking Noise)

Post by Big Z »

I have a similar issue,also 4L V6. Its a clunking on the drivers side mostly, you can hear more than you can feel it , best p[lace to hear it is drive up on a shallow pavement at a angle you will hear it clunk. Looked at all shocks and tighten all bolts...still need to check shock mounts/rubbers where the are housed. Also upper and lower control arms- bushings...if they warn it also might give this noise. I don't think its the CV's or Shocks as its a very distinctive noise which I havent heard on old cars with warn shock or cv's. I also stay in Cape Town and very skeptical about going to "guys" to they can't find anything definite so they "hope" by replacing shocks or something. I know sometimes its a process of elimination but if its a mechanical problem should be easy to spot if you know your stuff and some guys just take chances.

Return to “The Workshop”