Noisy Clutch Hilux D4D

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Predator
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux d4d 4x4

Noisy Clutch Hilux D4D

Post by Predator »

Hey everyone.

I recently bought a 2006 Hilux d4d 4x4 with around 190 000km.
The actual gear lever is "loose / warn" in the sense where even in gear, the entire gear lever is "loose" and swivels from side to side while in gear.
The agents say I need to replace the entire gear lever and can not just replace the bush. Others say I can replace just warn bush??

The other issue is that there is a "rattling / rumbling" sound while the car is in Neutral. As soon as I depress the clutch the sound goes away... When you leave the clutch again, then the sound returns. The clutch feels fine and does not slip or shudder.

I have taken it to various meechanics and have been told that I need to replace the clutch, and other opinions are that it is a problem within the gearbox itself? Gearbox company of the opinion that it could be the "springs" on the clutch that is loose and causing the rummmmmbling sound when the car is in Neutral.. No need to replace the clutch until it starts to slip or shudder..

Any thoughts or advise??

Predator
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Re: Noisy Clutch Hilux D4D

Post by Pumba »

Hou net die cluch in :twisted:
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Riaan, Just be patient and one of the brighter guys should be able to answer your question...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Post by Pumba »

Wat meeen jy "brighter" :blackeye: die geraas is mos weg dan :siffler:
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Hallo Riaan

The gear lever is a two part unit with an outer sleeve fitted (pressed) over the actual lever going into the gearbox. Mine is also loose and I replaced the nylon bush on the ball of the gear lever which fits inside the gearbox where it pivots but it was immediately clear that it is not the bush as the old one was not worn at all after more than 240 000 k's and the lower part of the lever going into the gearbox has almost no play at all. It is the rubber bush inside the outer part of the gear lever that may have worn/collapsed a little causing the gear-lever to feel loose. I could not find a way to remove the outer part of the gear-lever without damaging it so I put it back as is and it is actually fine. Since putting it back it has not gotten any worse and thinking about it the lever was always "loose" even from brand new. If you go to the trouble of removing the gear lever you will see exactly what I mean. I don't think you need to worry about that. This issue does not relate to the noise in the gearbox.

I am quite convinced that it is in fact the clutch pressure plate causing the issue and you are probably going to end up replacing the clutch.

Look at my post here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36846
Predator
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Predator »

Hey Mars.

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.
The Agents say you need to replace the entire gear lever and can't just replace the bush. Go figure. .
Some of us "petrol " heads just love looking and driving our steeds, but don't know much about how they put together - Hence the comment to just keep the clutch in. LOL. Thanks bro! !
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

The rumbling noise is the bearings , cluster shaft and input shaft on the gearbox
Predator
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Predator »

Hey MCHilux.
Thanks for your input.
I have taken the truck to 4 different professionals and 2 said clutch and 2 said gearbox. .
To go on a guess can become very costly!

How can I be 100% sure before spending money on either new clutch or gearbox repairs? ??

PREDATOR
Predator
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Performance chip

Post by Predator »

ey all the Toyota-holics.

I recently fitted a Performance Chip to my 3.0 d4d Hilux bakkie, primarily for more power when towing.

During my first towing trip, the bakkie went into Limp Mode 3 times, while driving in 3rd gear up a long steep hill. (Vehicle was "labouring". My large offroad trailer weighs around 1ton).

The supplier says it is NOT the chip (that connects directly to the Injectors) but it could be the Turbo which has carbon build up and causes the bakkie to go into Limp Mode under strain. .

Huh?

Anybody have an opinion? ?

Predator
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Did your bakkie do the same before the chip?

If not, you know where to start looking :siffler: :siffler:
Predator
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Predator »

The plot thickens. ..
On my return trip, I unplugged the chip and it went into Limp Mode again and the Diesel Fuel light also came on.
Toyota Diagnostic pointed to Air intake manifold sensor? ? Whaaat? Has not happened during normal daily driving.
Towing again during school holiday, will monitor it then.

Return to “The Workshop”