SFA freewheel hub overhaul (manual locking hubs)

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

SFA freewheel hub overhaul (manual locking hubs)

Post by Ryperd »

When I was overhauling the front axle on Ryperd at the end of last year, I noticed that the freewheel hub on the one side needed some attention. The outer part which comes off with the hub cover and control handle was all fine, but the parts attached to the hub body itself looked like some replacements were needed. The inner hub was not rotating nicely in the centre, and looked like it might come loose entirely if it was given enough of a bump. There was also what looked like a bit of spring sticking out where I don't think it should.

Anyone know what parts are needed for the overhaul, and where to get them? Gemini have fully assembled hubs for R2850, but I think I'll only need to replace a few of the rings and springs. I would think there should be an overhaul kit which has everything required, or do I need to order all the bits separately?
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: SFA freewheel hub overhaul (manual locking hubs)

Post by Mud Dog »

Rudi, check with the dealers - they should have parts / kits available and sometimes they even manage to surprise you with reasonable prices. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hullo Rudi
the freewheel hubs on my SFA were also very sticky and i took them to pieces and cleaned and rebuilt them ,they worked very well after that (yes ,Niel if in remember to lock them)
one side also had the spring sticking out sideways ,remove the other side with out disturbing the spring and use that to as a template.The manual are not very clear ,the spring is screwed into a groove on the hub

Martin
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

I removed the old freewheel hub body and took it apart. It looks like what I thought was a spring was actually the bushing that was completely worn down - only half of it was still there (I'll try to add a photo when I get a chance, but the hub on https://youtu.be/dxSBcAyt2WA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; looks similar to my original hub). I visited the dealers, and they said they only stock the complete freewheel hubs, not sub-components. They did indeed surprise me with their prices, but not quite in the way that I hoped. R6,500 for one freewheel hub! :shock2:

I took the original hub to Gemini in Joburg, and they confirmed that they also only stock the complete hubs. I'm not sure what they were referring to with the R2,850 price previously, because they gave me a complete freewheel hub for R800:

I was hoping to take out the necessary inner parts from this one and reuse the body from the original hub, but it seems that the replacement part doesn't have a bushing, it's just a solid piece. I used the original inner gear, but the rest of the hub is the replacement part. I used some MS grease (graphite grease?) to lubricate the moving parts and put it all together. It moves okay, but doesn't rotate quite as freely as the working original one on the other wheel. I'm guessing that it just needs to bed down properly.

So I've now replaced the frewheel hub, but I'm not sure I can trust the new one. It just doesn't feel as solid as the original. Anyone have experience with average freewheel hubs, and in particular the one in the photo (it is, of course, made in China)?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Rudi I do not want to disappoint you,but I will not use that "made in china" hub lockers on my SFA.They are gonna drop you when you need it most.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

I spoke to N1 4x4 and they also stock the cheap Chinese hubs but they only use them as a container of spares for the inner parts and reckon the chrome hub body is no good. That was my idea too, but unfortunately the Chinese part doesn't have the bushing that I need to replace. They also stock the original hubs for R1,600, so I think I'll need to pick up one of those (their prices for the Chinese parts were also cheaper than Gemini in case anyone else is looking for hubs).

Here's what's left of the bushing that I took out:

Just out of interest, why are there no bearings in the freewheel hub? Are they not needed to reduce rotational friction?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No bearings needed - all they serve to do is to create a selective link between two moving parts (stub axle and hub) both of which already run on their own bearings. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

In case anyone else is considering replacing their freewheel hubs and come across these cheap Chinese parts, take a look at this picture first:

Notice how the hub body has cracked above each of the nuts (which were tightened to spec). No offroad driving was involved - this was just a quick drive down to Bergville over the weekend, tar all the way. I didn't have time to replace it with the higher quality freewheel hubs, so I figured it should be fine for a short trip without any rough stuff. Not so much.

I still have to open it up to see if there was any damage to the side axle shaft, but at least I am confident that the cheap hub was the weakest element in that system.
pung.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 2.4 sfa hilux

Post by pung. »

Hi guys im just browsing thru your trouble shooting. I had also done over my previous luxes hub and the one was completely out of order. I then replaced it with the old Isuzu 250d 4x4 hub. its exactly the same difference and worked well there after. got the hub for about r120 at some scrapyard. GOOD LUCK

Return to “The Workshop”