KZ-TE with Colt pump

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

KZ-TE with Colt pump

Post by JohanW »

So after much to and fro, this and that, endless discussions with like-minded friends, pros and cons list etc. Its time to take the plunge. On Thursday my KZ will be going to Francois @ 4xlux for a mitsubishi colt 2.8 injector pump (4m40) conversion. This is a copy of the Bosch VE pump licensed to ZEXEL.

WHY? because it will cost in excess of R14k to recon the original KZ pump. Got quotes from various places and even considered removing the pump myself to reduce the labour cost.

The big "advantage" of the electronic 1kz pump over a manual one is timing adjust. The ecu using the inputs from the intake air temp, crank angle, fuel temp, manifold actual pressure (MAP) sensors and throttle position sensor, dynamically adjusts the timing. Retarding it and advancing it. This gives better economy or more power when you need it. BUT since toyota is know for their conservativeness the real world gains over a full on manual pump is minimal. You need a piggy back chip and a proper tuner to fully harness the electronic goodness. BUT this is only works if your pump is in tip top shape. After 312k km mine isn't anymore... So asking a tuner to up the performance is a bit of a waste.

Since I have a front mount cirrus intercooler I did end up fitting a chip round 285k km. It made a difference, the power was more but at 92.5kw and 333N/m. I won't exactly call it a rocket. But it goes well and egt's stay under 680 deg C. At 300k km I fitted new injector tips too. Made the economy a bit better.

The big deciding factor however was fuel economy. My economy was in a slow and steady downward decline. When I bought my KZ at 228k km it was in a terrible state, but it did at least run in the 8.7 - 9.2 km/l zone. Now on 312k km the last tank gave me 7.56km/l. My Fuelio log and chart shows a steady downward decline over 74 fillups and records from Sept 2014. Didn't keep record before that :blushing: So it was time to act. My fuelio log also tells me that since sept 2014 I have spent more than R50k just on fuel alone... So there is substantial savings to be had.

So after a lot a research:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1kz-t-n ... ap.536516/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Mitsub ... uel_system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Bosch_Pump/-Rebuild" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/77-fj40 ... 496/page-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/v ... 46&t=28231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/s ... -4m40-pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sourced a completely rebuilt colt pump with a new housing and all for about R5k.

Here is George's thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34941&hilit=horses+back#p417461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the cons of fitting a manual pump like this is killing your engine. It now becomes very easy to add more fuel and get sky high EGTs. Thus it makes sense to have a very comprehensive monitoring system. Like a madman or my own Arduino based system:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=40776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will update the thread as soon as I drop the vehicle off and get it back. It will be going for a dyno too.
Last edited by JohanW on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Re: KZ-TE with Colt pump

Post by Derren »

Very interesting, possibly something for me to consider for the future too. Nothing done to the injectors yet and my fuel pump is still the original.
I also have the front mount intercooler now which Francois had installed via a third party (the third party were disastrous but resolved now). I have a chip from the previous intercooler that I had.

I think I will start tracking my fuel consumption.

Looking forward to updates on the thread.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

I think that increase in your consumption may have more to do with that heavy foot of yours exploiting the extra horses...
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

niclemaitre wrote:I think that increase in your consumption may have more to do with that heavy foot of yours exploiting the extra horses...
Yeah maybe :tongue: but I doubt its gotten heavier over the course of time :surrender:
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

Very interesting Johan.
Keep us posted :)
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

Bakkie dropped off at 4xlux, looking forward to getting it back.

Timing was messing about again this morning on the way there. The ecu seems to retard the pump at idle (stop start traffic) then it is supposed to advance it again under load. My pump seems to struggle to advance again, staying too retarded. This gives the bakkie a sluggish feeling. Leading to a heavier foot and a lot more unburnt fuel and high EGT.

Very impressed by Dacon Diesel in Strand. They gave me a completely new rebuilt colt pump for R5k. A recon on these pumps costs about R3.5k alone, then you still need to supply a pump.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

:subscribed:
Image Link Broken
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Johan
Jy gaan nie spyt wees nie.

Die ouens is geneig om hom baie "oop" te stel.Dan trek hy lekker maar EGT's is baie hoog en hy rook dan swart wolke.Ek het myne by Isak van Dynotech laat "tune" hy stel hom baie meer konserwatief maar EGT's is laer.

Maak ook net seker hulle kry jou rev counter reg.Myne werk maar hy wys revs heeltemal te hoog.
Jy kan agter op die instrument cluster die revs meter stel.Ek moet nog die cluster weer uithaal.Een of ander tyd.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

george wrote:Hi Johan
Jy gaan nie spyt wees nie.

Die ouens is geneig om hom baie "oop" te stel.Dan trek hy lekker maar EGT's is baie hoog en hy rook dan swart wolke.Ek het myne by Isak van Dynotech laat "tune" hy stel hom baie meer konserwatief maar EGT's is laer.

Maak ook net seker hulle kry jou rev counter reg.Myne werk maar hy wys revs heeltemal te hoog.
Jy kan agter op die instrument cluster die revs meter stel.Ek moet nog die cluster weer uithaal.Een of ander tyd.
Dankie vir die opvolg George. Ja daardie rev counter is 'n moet. Sal hom definitief op die dyno sit en bietjie tune. Ek het gelukkig reeds 'n intercooler op en 'n vet downpipe. So dit behoort die egt's in toom te hou.

Daar is ook 'n boost controller op my turbo wat my toelaat om die turbo druk ook aan te pas. As deel van my DIY EGT gauge se bou het ek die lesing vanaf die OEM MAP sensor gekry. So ek kan die druk mooi stel.

Werk jou aircon nou?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Werk jou aircon nou?
Jip. AC kom net aan as revs bo 800rpm hardloop. My rev counter het om een of ander rede net helfte van rpm gewys. Dis hoekom hy nie wou werk nie.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

Picked up the bakkie from 4xlux this morning. Francois did a excellent job. Looks like a factory install. And boy does it pull. Its got a bit of a power smoke on pull away, but clean through the rev range. Still needs to go on a dyno but the timing already looks and feels close to perfect. Idle is smoother than my old pump. EGTs are lower at cruising speed (120km/h) than my electronic pump :shock2: this should translate to better fuel economy too. :yahoo:

Turbo pressure I upped a bit to 15psi or just over 1 bar. This keeps the top end egts down.

Rev counter... Ja this is reading a bit low. It is however reading. Currently sitting a 500 rpm at idle. So a bit of adjusting in the instrument cluster is needed. This I will probably do tonight.

The 34 km I drove from the workshop to my work is not enough yet to conclusively say this was a success. But it sure feels so.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you want to do this conversion. You need a engine monitoring system. Otherwise you will stuff up your engine. It is very easy to inject way too much fuel and get EGTs up 1000 deg C and holes in your pistons. I would strongly advise that it only be done on a intercooled engine.

Pictures to follow shortly. :mrgreen:
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

So last night I managed to fix the rev counter. It is now working perfectly.

To fix the rev counter do the following:
1. Strip it out of the dash.
2. Carefully unclip the clear front acrylic cover.
3. Unclip the black bezel
4. Peek past the rev counter chart and look for the blue adjusting pot
5. Drill a hole in the white plastic body of the instrument cluster. You need to be able to fit a small screw driver through the hole to adjust the pot. So your hole placement and alignment needs to be perfect. Be careful not to drill into the area where the cluster connector clips into.
6. Turn the pot 40deg clockwise. (Just less than a quarter turn) The adjustment pot is very sensitive.
7. Plug cluster back in and check that the reading is correct at idle.

And here are some pictures :thumbup:
Attachments
DSC_0361.JPG
DSC_0365.JPG
DSC_0364.JPG
DSC_0362.JPG
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

Now for some pics of the professional install done by Francois @ 4xlux. :thumbup:
Attachments
DSC_0357.JPG
DSC_0356.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0354.JPG
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by KZTE Nut »

JohanW wrote:
Turbo pressure I upped a bit to 15psi or just over 1 bar. This keeps the top end egts down.
Johan how do you adjust the turbo pressure ?
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

KZTE Nut wrote:
JohanW wrote:
Johan how do you adjust the turbo pressure ?
With a boost controller.
http://nxsmotorsports.com/manual-boost- ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a warning, you can blow a top gasket and few other bits by adding too much boost. Turbos are designed to operate within a certain pressure range. Once they go out of their design range they produce a truck load of heat and no real extra pressure. This often leads to fatigue failure and high egts, since you are now adding a lot more heat into the system.

The ecu on the kz will also start limiting fuel in what it thinks is a overboost situation. Anything over 12psi and it will start cutting fuel. Negating all the gains of extra boost.

Boost pressure and fuel volume go hand in hand. They need to be balanced. Too much of either and you are looking for expensive trouble.
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

Some results: After 787km, my fuel economy has improved to 8.44km/l. This is on a urban cycle and lots of "tests". Tests being flat foot driving up hills and shouting more power Jeremy Clarkson style while watching the egt gauge. :cooldude:

On my test hill this morning (start from stationary at bottom of lord charles hill on the R44) I comfortably managed to get to 123km/h with EGTs just below 700 deg C. Previously I only managed 110km/h with similar EGTs.

Roughly 10% improvement in power and 1km/l gained in efficiency. Pretty happy with the result.

A dyno run and some tuning is still on the todo list. Will also give report on some open road driving when I get to do some. :thumbup:
Desert Fox
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Rosh Pinah
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Desert Fox »

Hi Johan, your fuel consumption sounds great
I recently bought my 2004 KZ-TE in Cape Town with just over 165k km, it has a 40mm lift kit and 31" BF Goodrich A/T tires...i only get 7km/l when traveling at 115km/h (on the clock), this is probaly closer to 110km/h.
In Sep 2014 it had Chip installed and freeflow exhaust by the previous owner at SAC.
Does this all sound normal or should i be getting better fuel economy?
any suggestions?
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Derren »

Hi Desert Fox, my feedback.
I have a 2001 KZ-TE, a 50mm lift, and 31" Cooper ST Maxx tyres. I also have a chip and an intercooler.
If I measure fuel usage using the speedometer then I get 7km/l. However when I driving at 110km/h on the speedo, I am doing 120-122km/h true speed (on the GPS). So if I use the GPS distance travelled to work out fuel consumption, I get 7.8km/l and that is based on actual kilometers travelled. If you go back in time and find the original reviews for a KZ-TE fuel consumption was 8.2 to 8.5km/l.
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Hilux4x4.co.za Club
Desert Fox
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Desert Fox »

Hi Derren , will send you a PM, dont want to Hijack Johan's post
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

I haven't had time to respond, but will in time. Continue with the discussion here. It is relevant.
Desert Fox
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Desert Fox »

Sharp thanks Johan, this was my message to Derren

Hi Derren
I dont have an intercooler, (just a chip and freeflow) SAC says it costs R9000 and at the time the extra cost just did not justify it for me as I first wanted to see if the fuel consumption might not improve if I am back at coast level where the chip setting was adjusted for, but to no avail, it stays pretty constant at 7km/l and drops to about 6.5km/l when towing.
I will however check with the true GPS distance to see if my clock is not out and if so by how much.
About the speed i was going at, i checked it using a GPS and at 115km/h true GPS is about 107km/h.
So it seems the question is, intercooler or not?
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Derren »

Desert Fox wrote:Sharp thanks Johan, this was my message to Derren

Hi Derren
I dont have an intercooler, (just a chip and freeflow) SAC says it costs R9000 and at the time the extra cost just did not justify it for me as I first wanted to see if the fuel consumption might not improve if I am back at coast level where the chip setting was adjusted for, but to no avail, it stays pretty constant at 7km/l and drops to about 6.5km/l when towing.
I will however check with the true GPS distance to see if my clock is not out and if so by how much.
About the speed i was going at, i checked it using a GPS and at 115km/h true GPS is about 107km/h.
So it seems the question is, intercooler or not?
Hi Duan,

The intercooler might make a difference but it won't be huge. I had no worthwhile difference before and after fitting the intercooler and chip from SAC (back in 2005/2006).

Given that your true speed is more than the clock your fuel consumption is probably more like 7.5km/l which I know isn't that great but unfortunately the KZ-TE was never a fuel efficient diesel.

I get a steady 7.8km/l or so on the open road with some mix of town driving. If I just use it daily for work which isn't far, then it drops to 7km/l if I drive calmly.

Where will SAC fit the intercooler? Is it still underneath or in front of the radiator? I would say you should do intercooler only to improve the life of your KZ-TE engine rather than fuel consumption.
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Hilux4x4.co.za Club
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by KZTE Nut »

Johan

How is it going with your KZTE with the Colt pump in the few months since your last post ?
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

I run a toyota 5L t pump and I am sure my fuel consumption is not that bad but setup is different as running sfa box and diffs.
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Intercooler make a huge difference when running a manual pump. Before i fitted my intercooler, uphill the egt went past 650 deg very quickly and kept on rising. After intercooler fitted egt was lower under same conditions and would even level out by staying constant to a sertain speed and gear, where previously the temp would keep on climbing with same conditions. My boost is at 0.7 bar.
One life, one dream, one toyota
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by JohanW »

I haven't forgotten about this thread... A lot has been happening my side and a small mountain of work awaited after a 3 week Botswana trip.

I will reply to each question above in time since they warrant extensive replies.

I unfortunately/fortunately (I still wonder sometimes) sold the vehicle. A lovely '09 d4d auto with about a R100k worth of extras crossed my path and things happened very quickly. All about a week and a half before my trip.

My KZ wasn't even advertised, just mentioned it to a couple of friends. The idea was actually to only sell it in Aug/Sept. Within two days money was in my account and paperwork settled :blackeye:

The new owner was shown every bit of extra and the entire conversion. And was ecstatic about it. Even sold the entire engine monitoring system with it.

So what I'm trying to get across is that this is a worthy upgrade. I do miss being able to leave black marks on the tar and even a proper chirp and mark when shifting into second after that. I don't know of any other KZs that can do that and still run sub 750 deg EGTs with 7.5km/l in town. :cooldude:
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Mine can do that. 10 km/1l without canopy and 8.5 km/1l with canopy.
One life, one dream, one toyota
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Nico

Waar kan ek jou bel?
Wil gesels oor jou SFA / KZ setup.
My nommer is 082 419 2359
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/cab 3.0KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: HC355

Post by Matewis007 »

Sub, ek wil weer terugkom en kom lees
Tallentkasirayi
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: Kzte 3.o

Post by Tallentkasirayi »

Hie ,i got toyota 1 kzte 3.0l .iI struggling with diesel pump so i deceided to replace with mitsubishi 2.8 diesel pump ok.i want to know about timing is it corespond to toyota and which pipes must not connected.

Thankx very much from your advice as i see some of people posting good comments about colt pump on toyota
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Tallentkasirayi wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:30 pm Hie ,i got toyota 1 kzte 3.0l .iI struggling with diesel pump so i deceided to replace with mitsubishi 2.8 diesel pump ok.i want to know about timing is it corespond to toyota and which pipes must not connected.

Thankx very much from your advice as i see some of people posting good comments about colt pump on toyota
To install the Colt pump you MUST know what you are doing, failing that you will have more trouble than you want.

In other words, it is not a DIY job.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Hi all.
I am in the process of fitting a 2.8 Colt pump to 2L2T engine. What I have:
1992 d/c sfa used to be 3Y. Std gearbox and diffs. 31x 9.50 Destination mud terrains and 25 mm body lift.
2L2T Austrian engine.
On 3 filups I got 7.3 km/l and lots of black smoke during acceleration up to 1900/2000rpm. Engine would really struggle below 1750 rpm and would not easily go above 3200rpm. On sliight down hill it would go over and reach 140 on speedo wich could be out and sfa' are not built for such speeds any how. It would then verry quickly lose speed on level road again and even come down to third gear and 60 km/h on inclines.
On fidelling whit the timing , advancing and retarding , I managed to break a gasket seal and the pump sprung a leak between the boddy and govenor housing.
I stumbled apon a Colt 2.8 pump laying idle in someones workshop and after explaining my situation it was mine.
I have been speaking to Allen about pros and cons and timing and such.
Also fitting egt and boost guages , more to be safe than to get max performance.
Any advice will be much apreceated.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Up date. Been isolated for 2 weeks. Got down with something , ????????
Got the Colt pump on the 2L2T. Timing marks like with the Toyota pump.
Pump timing at 1mm lift at TDC.
No smoke.
Lots of power when boost and boost feul comes in at 2000 rpm.
Even less power below 2000 rpm.
Ben From Brandwaght Diesel advised me to adjust a set screw on the diaphrame to up the feul delivery below 2000 rpm by half a turn. Every thing feels fine. My test hill outside of town. Toyota pump starting at 120 km/h down to 80km/h. Colt pump starting at 120km/h down to 115 km/h.
Egt stays below 560'C
Just filled her up to see what feul economy is like.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Just one other interresting thing.
The pick up from the rev counter. The Colt and Toyota ones are different lenghts , but the same thread. The Toyota sender is one milimeter shorter so I machined one millimeter off of the back of the Toyota sender to have it go deeper into the Colt pump. Revs are spot on.

Return to “The Workshop”