Metal on Metal noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Chris Swartz
Town: durban
Vehicle: 3.0 Fortuner 4x4

Metal on Metal noise

Post by Chris Swartz »

Hi,

I have a Fortuner 3.0 4x4, 140 000km - experiencing a loud metallic screeching when vehicle gets hot. Happens after at least 40km of moderate driving. Originally thought it was brakes or calliper alignment. sounded as if coming from front left wheel. Brake pads replaced, calliper and retaining spring checked - ok. Noise is fairly constant but a little louder under acceleration, but makes noise with clutch in; in any gear and even coasting or braking slightly.

Dealer suggested universal joint was seizing up - universals replaced. Noise still there.

Gearbox guys found play on gearbox output shaft - bearing collapsing and some damage on gear cluster. Spigot shaft and bearing replaced. Noise still there !!

Next was wheel bearings - left front was not looking too good - front set of wheel bearings replaced. noise still there.

Any similar experiences out there? :surrender:

Thanks
Morne Fourie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Montagu
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Re: Metal on Metal noise

Post by Morne Fourie »

Did someone check the centre drive shaft bearing? I am not a mechanic but once had a similar problem with a hilux.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Chris! :thumbup:

Just to clarify, this only happens when the vehicle is moving, either coasting or under power? (Stationary with motor running the screech is not there.)

If this is the case, the problem is drive-train related. If the sound appears to be coming from the front left, then that's where one should be focusing without disregarding other possible options.

I'm not familiar with these vehicles but check that there isn't anything fouling against the half shaft/s or even the propshaft, Is the ADD system working as it should? CV joints OK? does it have a freewheel type hub that's electrically operated - this OK?

Perhaps once it has been driven, is hot and making the noise you should get it up on a hoist and run it in 4WD with the wheels off the ground, then get in under there to pinpoint the origin. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

I worked in Ghana for a while and had the same issue on a Fortuner but a LHD.

It drives you utterly bonkers!! :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
...............a very long story very short!
sprayed q20 where the shaft goes into the gearbox side, noise gone.........for 5 minutes and then it was back again.

Removed side shaft from the gearbox and cleaned out the seal area on the gearbox side, STUFFED THE SEAl/dust cover inners with grease. as far as I can remember it's a double lip seal and we filled the area between the lips with grease.
That seal/cover goes dry with the heat and then it starts......................O donner.... I could have set fire to it I was so irritated with that squeal. Happy as a pig in sh!t when we finally solved it.

Good luck ;-)
Image Link Broken
Chris Swartz

Post by Chris Swartz »

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful responses! By way of answering some of your questions:

1. Morne Fourie - no centre bearing on Fortuner rear prop. it is a relatively short shaft. not sure about arrangement from transfer case forward

2. Mud Dog - only happens while moving, agreed drive train related. definitely not CV noise (no clucking noise at all when turning). What is ADD system you refer to? In terms of hub - Fortuner 4x4 is permanent 4x4 60/40 split to rear in HH, 50/50 in HL and then the usual low range and rear diff lock - so assuming hubs are always locked? We have had the vehicle on the lift in drive and are looking at the transfer case today - will let you know!

3. Knuppel - removed rear shaft when on the hoist, noise was still there - that's why we looking at transfer case and forward today. I will mention your post to the technical manager today, Thanks!

I have gone back to the dealer due to the ongoing nature of the problem. however my wallet is getting raped! Thanks for taking the time to give me your views. will keep you posted
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Chris Swartz wrote:Hi,

3. Knuppel - removed rear shaft when on the hoist, noise was still there - that's why we looking at transfer case and forward today. I will mention your post to the technical manager today, Thanks!
Ok, Maybe I explained like an Idiot

Front side shafts.
The inside of the front side shafts where they enter the diff( Not gearbox :blushing: ). That is where the squeel is generated......Trust me! ( I stripped the four wheel drive system many times to find that, 6 month process)

Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

ADD system = Auto Diff De-coupler. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

That diff actually never completely decouples, the one side is always driven.
Image Link Broken
Chris Swartz

Post by Chris Swartz »

Thanks Knuppel,
I have forwarded suggestion on to Dealer - hopefully we get on top of this now. Where do you get the exploded diagrams above?
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Chris, they are TOYODIY.COM images. Sometimes if you are not a member then you cannot see them and only the part numbers are visible. For me this is THE best site to get part numbers and info from. There are similar sites but they are less user friendly IMO.
Image Link Broken
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Knuppel wrote:Chris, they are TOYODIY.COM images. Sometimes if you are not a member then you cannot see them and only the part numbers are visible. For me this is THE best site to get part numbers and info from. There are similar sites but they are less user friendly IMO.
+1 :thumbup:

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Any news on what the problem was ?
Image Link Broken
matthew6682
Town: Subang Jaya
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 2.5

Post by matthew6682 »

Hi Chris !

Hi Chris Swarta,

Good day!

I have a 2011 Toyota Fortuner(KUN50) 2.5 diesel turbo engine, auto trans with 4WD model. I found my car is happening very similar problem as your mention in your early above post. I sent my car to the most experience service 4x4 workshop/garage at my area, but they cannot really found out the right root cause of the 'Metal on Metal noice". I agreed their suggested to replaced everything on my front brake system, & even remove the front drive shaft(left & right side) to check everything in single details. Result is, I still can't solve this irritablitity sound from undercarrage of my car until now.

Since your post from 2016, I strongly believe you have already solved this 'Metal on Metal sound' issued. I hope you or other members which are from this forum can help/advise me this..

Thanks!

Matthew
from Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.

Return to “The Workshop”