SFA Front Discs

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

SFA Front Discs

Post by Bliksempie »

Why is it such a hassle to get hold of the original front discs for my 97' SFA? Most well known part centres does not pick up the correct size. Gemini Spares apparently does have in stock, but also at a hefty price. My hilux is fitted with solid discs, and the diameter is 257mm. According to various spare shops, this is incorrect according to their systems and that it shows ventilated ones. Did some research today on the forum, and most guys recommend the Power Brake conversion, which I totally agree with, but not within budget range for me now. Getting rid of the shudder can be resolved by skimming or replacing. But the first option is so not my solution, as it will not last during 4x4 trips when doing water crossings.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: SFA Front Discs

Post by JohanM »

Robbie,

ATE discs and brake pads should be available. I replaced a set of discs and pads last year on a SFA Hilux 1997 model. Got it within 2 days from ordering through Autozone.
Johan Marais
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Dankie daar Johan. Sal more sien wat ek vandag kon regkry.

When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Robbie hoekom upgrade jy nie met Land Cruiser ventilated dics en KZTE calipers nie.Dit is bloot n bolt on en jy het beter remme aan die einde van die dag as die standard non ventilated dics
Attachments
DSC04328 (Small).JPG
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Dit ook raak gelees vandag van jou vorige posts. Dit beteken ek moet 'n ander brake booster ook insit. Wat het jou kostes beloop destyds?

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Robbie ek ry nog met die standard booster. Sou jy upgrade na n kzte booster kan dit net n bonus wees maar beslis nie nodig nie.Ek het destyds R2200.00 vir die dics en calipers betaal.(dics pads uitgesluit)

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Sal my kop vanaand op die kussing laat rus daaroor. Dalk nie slegte idee nie.

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Kan jy onthou watse model Cruiser Discs daardie is?

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Bliksempie wrote:Kan jy onthou watse model Cruiser Discs daardie is?

Cruiser FJ 75

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Dankie daar

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Dawie, laaste vraag. Ek het klaar nuwe skoene gekry vir standaard SFA. Is dit dieselfde as die KZTE s'n of moet ek dit ruil?

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bliksempie wrote:Why is it such a hassle to get hold of the original front discs for my 97' SFA? Most well known part centres does not pick up the correct size. Gemini Spares apparently does have in stock, but also at a hefty price. My hilux is fitted with solid discs, and the diameter is 257mm. According to various spare shops, this is incorrect according to their systems and that it shows ventilated ones. Did some research today on the forum, and most guys recommend the Power Brake conversion, which I totally agree with, but not within budget range for me now. Getting rid of the shudder can be resolved by skimming or replacing. But the first option is so not my solution, as it will not last during 4x4 trips when doing water crossings. Image

Power Brakes is advertising a special on their kits in the 4x4 Community Forum. Don't know if this includes the SFA or not, but I am very happy with Bulldog's brakes that were converted to a PB system some time ago.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Robbie nee jy sal ander dics pads moet kry.Ferado FDB797 of ATE 577

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Family_Dog wrote:
Bliksempie wrote:Why is it such a hassle to get hold of the original front discs for my 97' SFA? Most well known part centres does not pick up the correct size. Gemini Spares apparently does have in stock, but also at a hefty price. My hilux is fitted with solid discs, and the diameter is 257mm. According to various spare shops, this is incorrect according to their systems and that it shows ventilated ones. Did some research today on the forum, and most guys recommend the Power Brake conversion, which I totally agree with, but not within budget range for me now. Getting rid of the shudder can be resolved by skimming or replacing. But the first option is so not my solution, as it will not last during 4x4 trips when doing water crossings. Image

Power Brakes is advertising a special on their kits in the 4x4 Community Forum. Don't know if this includes the SFA or not, but I am very happy with Bulldog's brakes that were converted to a PB system some time ago.

-F_D
Thanks Uncle Eric, I'll have a look on their forum

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

The Legend wrote:Robbie nee jy sal ander dics pads moet kry.Ferado FDB797 of ATE 577
Dankie Dawie. Sal seker deur die loop van die dag my mind opmaak. Eers vir Barrie van Ultimate bel en hoor wat prys sy Callipers.

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Robbie... ek en Dawie het dieselfde tyd daai conversion gedoen op ons bakkie met die FJ75 cruiser calipers. En dit is genuine bolt-on met geen ander veranderinge nie behalwe vir die back plate wat jy sy een puntjie moet ombuig met 'n tang.

Daai wa van my stop nou soos ek wil hê hy moet en trek ook nie na 'n kant toe nie.
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

O ja... wou nog sê... kry pryse by Alpha Discs ook. Hulle het baie goeie gehalte teen baie goeie pryse: http://www.alfabrakes.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To God be the glory
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Dankie Cassie. Ek wag maar net tot die son behoorlik opkom voor ek begin met die bel werk. Dink tog ek gaan julle roete stap.

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Jy sal nie spyt wees nie. Ons het ons sin deur Hoppie (Allan Venter) in die Kaap gekry. Of hy dit nog doen weet ek nie so mooi nie
To God be the glory
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Ek het vir Hoppy al n mail of twee gestuur. Laat weet bietjie as jy iewers Calipers vir n goeie prys kan optel. Ek moet ook nou die booster op myne vervang. Hy werk nie meer so lekker nie. Ek het nou al rondgebel vir die KZTE calipers en die pryse is hoog. R2200 - R2400 rand n caliper.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Family_Dog wrote:

-F_D
Received a Quote just now for R4189.50 from Power Brake. :shock2:

Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Borntofish »

Waarvoor was die quote?
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Borntofish wrote:
Waarvoor was die quote?
Hier is die mail wat hulle my gestuur het:

For your 1997 Hilux D/C 4x4 we offer the following brake upgrade:

Powerbrake AT Series high carbon Slotted Discs (front axle pair / AT932) @ R2439.60 VAT incl (in stock)
Bendix Ultimate brake pads (front axle set / DB288U) @ R1749.90 VAT incl. (in stock)

For more information on the AT series discs and Bendix Ultimate pads, please visit the following link below which will direct you to the relevant page on our website:

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/category_s/3364.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Robbie probeer N1 4x4 daar omi hoek v jou huis af daar waar ODWH en Megaworld is. Hulle my laas R700 'n disc gekwoteer vir LJ 75 discs.

Hulle pads is effe duuur...ek het by gwagen gekoop in Zambesi daar oorkant Crossing waar Metro Home is.

Ek noggi die upgrade gedoen nie; ek maar net skoene en pads vervang; en hulle kan ATE bestel maar jy moet vra vir dit.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Re: RE: Re: SFA Front Discs

Post by Bliksempie »

Stef wrote:Robbie probeer N1 4x4 daar omi hoek v jou huis af daar waar ODWH en Megaworld is. Hulle my laas R700 'n disc gekwoteer vir LJ 75 discs.

Hulle pads is effe duuur...ek het by gwagen gekoop in Zambesi daar oorkant Crossing waar Metro Home is.

Ek noggi die upgrade gedoen nie; ek maar net skoene en pads vervang; en hulle kan ATE bestel maar jy moet vra vir dit.
Dankie Stef. Het reeds al daai ouens om my probeer. Self Tokia Spares daar in Breed straat ook. Sal maar besluit wie gaan my sak die beste pas.

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Robbie, I did my SFA brake conversion some 10 years ago at a cost of R2800 or thereabouts. Allowing for increases, RoE etc, that probably is not too bad. Did you mention you were from the forum?

Costs aside, when you have the need for an emergency stop, it is money well spent. The conversion is excellent and Bulldog skriks for niks in the braking department these days. I did have occasion to put the brakes to the test in an emergency shortly after installing them and I was very pleased with the handling and efficiency of the brakes.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Uncle Eric. I indeed mentioned our forum as well as the 4x4 Community forum. In any case, I got the original parts today, and will opt for that at this stage. Way cheaper and enough for now.

mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Robbie

Ek het die Powerbrake discs en pads opgesit net voor ons Drie Provinsies to gegaan het
Ek het ook die calipers laat diens met nuwe seels ,die verskil was die R6000.00 elke sent werd
Die brieke het geen shudder meer nie en die bakkie trek ook na een kant toe nie.
Martin
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

mcw wrote:Hi Robbie

Ek het die Powerbrake discs en pads opgesit net voor ons Drie Provinsies to gegaan het
Ek het ook die calipers laat diens met nuwe seels ,die verskil was die R6000.00 elke sent werd
Die brieke het geen shudder meer nie en die bakkie trek ook na een kant toe nie.
Martin
Martin,

Ek sal glo dis die moeite werd, maar net nie binne my budget op hierdie stadium nie. Het gister maar gewone (nuwe) discs ingesit. Het sommer die bearings ook vervang met Platinum series. Was nogal 'n mission om die ou bearings uit te haal. My hande is maar seer na so paar keer raakslaan met 4 pond hammer :blackeye: . Definitief nie nie vinnige werkie nie. Baie groot verskil in algemeen, en sal maar eendag daardie roete stap.

Bearing kit = R718
Ferodo Discs = R632
Ferodo Pads = R450

Total = R1800.00

Groete daar.

mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Robbie

Lees die Powerbrake webwerf wat hulle se oor die regte manier om disc en pads inteloop (bed) so die Engelsman(Niel) sal se
Dit was vir my nogal interasant ,ek dink as ek dit met die eerste stel gedoen het was daar ook nie n probleem nie
ek het dit eers gelees nadat ek die disc gekoop het

Martin
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Hi Guys,
I have a new set of front calipers for the IFS, if interested you can send me a PM.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Neil may be a stupid question.Does the KZTE and IFS use the same calipers?

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

The Legend wrote:Neil may be a stupid question.Does the KZTE and IFS use the same calipers?
Morning, yes they do.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Borntofish »

Thunder02 wrote:
The Legend wrote:Neil may be a stupid question.Does the KZTE and IFS use the same calipers?
Morning, yes they do.
Do you not get two different types for the IFS, 2 pot and 4 pot calipers?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Werner

The standard SFA calipers have one small and one big port.While the KZ-TE calipers have two big ones.Not sure of the IFS

Return to “The Workshop”