Recovery off rear bumper bracket

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Recovery off rear bumper bracket

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

I need to replace my rear bumper to add recovery points and to add some protection. I currently have the standard tissue paper installed.

I'm thinking about building my own bumper. Will my current brackets be strong enough to perform recovery off?
They look something like this...

Full Size
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Re: Recovery off rear bumper bracket

Post by Dowe Koos »

For myself, I rather have a 8mm thick plate than these on your photo.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

yea i'm kinda doubtful as to their strength. where could I get something better in the Northern Suburbs?
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Get 8 or 10mm plate laser cut rather
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

that's not a bad idea. how much does that cost?
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

I had something similar made up for my front bumper and both identical brackets came to around R350 total. You can then weld spacers around the recovery hole in the bracket to make it more resistant to being torqued.

Third pic down is the bracket I had made: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39900&p=472088#p472088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can make the diagram yourself in SketchUp or some kind of CAD it will be cheaper than if you give them the existing bracket and they have to do the drawings themselves.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

that looks pretty decent. i'm concerned about matching the existing holes in the chassis to the drawing though. or should I rather drill the holes myself?
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC239

Post by Jurgen10 »

Dowe Koos wrote:For myself, I rather have a 8mm thick plate than these on your photo.
+1 thousand , million, seventy five hundred and two

Please do not use the standard tissue paper bumper fittings , they are almost as thin as the bumper and will fail when you don't want them to.

I used the standard fittings as a template to drill the holes on the 50 x 50 x 5 angle iron I used for brackets when bulding my rear bumper, and I don not intend using the 5mm brackets as recovery points... their job is just to hold the bumper up :)

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=40806&p=480536#p480536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Who knew that when one buys a 4x4 it becomes a big boy's Mekano set :mocking:

I intend on using something of substantial girth. Also want to double-up, put a bracket on both sides of each chassis beam.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

StuckInTheMudd wrote:that looks pretty decent. i'm concerned about matching the existing holes in the chassis to the drawing though. or should I rather drill the holes myself?
Measure carefully with a vernier. They will most likely be some whole number in mm apart. The centers will be the distance between the holes plus one hole diameter apart.

It's more the shape that you should worry about since it is shaped like that to avoid various fittings etc.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

SketchUp is damn easy to use if you spend a little time figuring it out. There is a plugin for the free version that exports to .dxf files that the laser cutters use. All the time I've invested in learning how to use it properly has been repaid many times.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Use 8mm plate, minimum. Reinforce the recovery holes - this can be done by welding a short (about 12mm) piece of thick wall pipe into an oversized hole. You should also weld a reinforcing gusset (with appropriate holes) over the rear chassis rail legs - all good and well to beef up the bumper mounting brackets but then the weak point becomes the chassis rails - they're only about 2½mm gauge on those extensions and I've seen those holes tear / elongate first hand. Also use suitably rated bolts. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

ah yes. good advice.

perhaps a stupid question, are steel square bars strong enough for recovery purposes?

and would filling it with sand be a good idea? I want to destroy anybody riding into me :)
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't recover off the bumper itself - use the brackets for that. The 'danger' in beefing up the bumper rails is that there will be little or no 'give' on impact and the damage will transfer into the chassis. It's also unnecessary weight on the rear overhang. Use something like 2mm - 2.5mm gauge but brace the section between the mounting brackets from behind if you're going to tow with it.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Mud Dog wrote:Don't recover off the bumper itself - use the brackets for that.
oh right! Is there any need for those rated recovery hooks/points then?
Mud Dog wrote:The 'danger' in beefing up the bumper rails is that there will be little or no 'give' on impact and the damage will transfer into the chassis.
You've got a point there. That got me thinking. There are shock absorbers for bumpers. Worthwhile? Or am I getting to complex now?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Friend owns a panelbeater workshop.

He has built MANY custom rigs over the years.

Bracket from the chassis rail - THICK steel, attach your recovery points at this point. Firstly it is the strongest point, secondly it is directly in line with the chassis rail, thus no bending and twisting

from there his bumpers are a "measily" 2mm steel. Way thick enough for light bumps, but it is still the soft part that absorbs a mild impact - thus protecting your vehicle !

Remember in a mild to heavy accident something WILL bend. If your bumper is too strong it will be the vehicle doing the bending ....
Changes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HC 285

Post by Changes »

Just fit a Bundu Gear bumper from Neil at 4x4 Direct and all issues and problems solved.... :-)
Do not BRAND bash...!!!
Landi is not a brand.. :lmao:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

StuckInTheMudd wrote:oh right! Is there any need for those rated recovery hooks/points then?
Definitely! Every single link / point / component must be rated. Ideally the single weakest point in the set-up should be in the recovery strap itself so that there is no chance of any metal bits being flung about in the event of a failure. The kinetic forces released during a failure can catapult a recovery hook / shackle right through a wind-shield and a seat inside the vehicle - imagine it hitting a bystander or vehicle occupant.

StuckInTheMudd wrote:You've got a point there. That got me thinking. There are shock absorbers for bumpers. Worthwhile? Or am I getting to complex now?
Yep, that's going too far - all well and good for the front but not for the rear if you're going to tow and certainly no good if it is placed so as to form part of the recovery components.

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Changes wrote:Just fit a Bundu Gear bumper from Neil at 4x4 Direct and all issues and problems solved.... :-)
That would certainly be the easiest option, but whole point of this exercise to is not spend 7-10k :naah:
ChrisF wrote:Friend owns a panelbeater workshop.

He has built MANY custom rigs over the years.

Bracket from the chassis rail - THICK steel, attach your recovery points at this point. Firstly it is the strongest point, secondly it is directly in line with the chassis rail, thus no bending and twisting

from there his bumpers are a "measily" 2mm steel. Way thick enough for light bumps, but it is still the soft part that absorbs a mild impact - thus protecting your vehicle !

Remember in a mild to heavy accident something WILL bend. If your bumper is too strong it will be the vehicle doing the bending ....
Some more good advice :) should I perhaps use my existing tissue paper then? Just reinforce the mountings and put a square bar inside it...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

NOPE ! :)

The "bracket" must be the STRONG part - remember this is where your recovery points are.

It is the "face" of the bumper that has to be softer to do the bending, before the vehicle bends ...
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

ChrisF wrote:NOPE ! :)

The "bracket" must be the STRONG part - remember this is where your recovery points are.

It is the "face" of the bumper that has to be softer to do the bending, before the vehicle bends ...
That's what I meant, perhaps I didn't explain properly. :oops:

I meant weld strong brackets onto the chassis (with recovery points), then a square bar onto that and my existing soft bumper over that.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Rather a thick wall square tube than square bar.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

could you send me a photo of what you're referring to please? I'm not familiar with these things. We may even be referring to the same thing.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

This is what I did in 2010 for the AAWDC fun day

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12595&p=227555&hil ... ts#p227555
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

StuckInTheMudd wrote:could you send me a photo of what you're referring to please? I'm not familiar with these things. We may even be referring to the same thing.
Square bar is solid material - square tube is hollow tubing. :winkx:

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Mud Dog wrote:
StuckInTheMudd wrote:could you send me a photo of what you're referring to please? I'm not familiar with these things. We may even be referring to the same thing.
Square bar is solid material - square tube is hollow tubing. :winkx:
Aaaah. Then I meant square tube. :oops:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

StuckInTheMudd wrote:
ChrisF wrote:NOPE ! :)

That's what I meant, perhaps I didn't explain properly. :oops:

I meant weld strong brackets onto the chassis (with recovery points), then a square bar onto that and my existing soft bumper over that.
ooops. my bad.

Return to “The Workshop”