Diagnosing new sound

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

Diagnosing new sound

Post by Ryperd »

There's a new sound coming from the engine, gearbox or drivetrain somewhere on Ryperd (4Y SFA), and I'm struggling to figure out where it's coming from. The sound is hard to describe, but I'd say it sounds similar to something brushing up against a fan blade (like a tick-tick-tick-tick-tick sound). It's not a squeal or a hum or a grinding sound (I'm trying to figure out what it is before it becomes a grinding sound). I seem to hear it only at low speeds and not all the time, even at low speeds. I've heard it in first, second and I think also third gear. If I hear it, pressing in the clutch seems to make it go away. The sound is definitely towards the front of the vehicle (in front of the driver's position). I've taken a look in the engine bay and underneath the vehicle, and I can't see anything that looks to badly wrong.

There's a bolt on the side with an electrical connection (what's this for?) which is leaking a bit of oil, but I tightened that up:

There's a bit of oil splatter around the clutch (I think it's the sump which doesn't seem to be perfectly sealed):

Also a bit of oil around the plugs, but I don't think that's too serious:

What worries me is that the sound started soon after I was towing a trailer with 2 pallets of bricks downhill (not too steep), using the engine for braking. There were no dramatic sounds or indications of something going wrong, but the strain could have caused something to go. If so, what would be likely points of failure?

My next plan is to change the oil in the gearbox, and look out for any bits of metal that drain out. Any other suggestions of what to check? I'd like to figure out what this is before I do any long-distance driving...
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Diagnosing new sound

Post by pietpetoors »

Maybe loose springs in the clutch plate?

If it is in neutral and you rev the engine just slightly up and down can you also hear it?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Sounds alot like tappets with too much clearance but you saying it disappears when depressing the clutch rules that out.

And the plug on the gearbox is the reverse light switch
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Rigger wrote:Sounds alot like tappets with too much clearance but you saying it disappears when depressing the clutch rules that out.

Martiens the 4y tappets is not adjustable.It has hydraulic lifters.
"
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Rudi the oil on the engine I would say come from the spark plugs seals.When you remove the spark plug you will see there is an aliminium "bucket" with a rubberseal on the top of it in the head .Replace all four rubber seals.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rigger »

The Legend wrote:
Rigger wrote:Sounds alot like tappets with too much clearance but you saying it disappears when depressing the clutch rules that out.

Martiens the 4y tappets is not adjustable.It has hydraulic lifters.
"
Thanks for the note. Not that clued up with the older engines :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The Legend wrote:Rudi the oil on the engine I would say come from the spark plugs seals.When you remove the spark plug you will see there is an aliminium "bucket" with a rubberseal on the top of it in the head .Replace all four rubber seals.
+1

Also cut the spring washers off the plugs - they damage the bottom of the aluminium sleeve which then also starts leaking.

The oil between the block and bell housing is most likely a weeping rear crank seal - easy to replace next time you have the box out (like for clutch replacement). It's not serious yet (besides leaving oil marks on your driveway) but if it somehow gets onto the clutch plate (not likely at this stage) it will start slipping.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Oil Bucket seals for spark plugs +1

Time to check your seal on the Front Input shaft bearing, Toy part#90311-30014. These seals gets forgotten, last 2 I done was so brittle and caused a lot of gear oil to leak. These usually are mistaken that it will be the crank seal.

Check the crank seal if you strip down. Look what happened with this 1 I done last Sunday. You see the crank seal is dry and on the bell housing its totally wet.
Attachments
input shaft seal.jpg
input seal.png
input seal.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
crank seal.jpg
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Forgot to mention your sound will be the release bearing. All the dirty sand etc on it of the oil leak will make a sound.
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Thanks for all the replies!

I had a long post written, but somehow it got lost so this one will be shorter.

Pieter, it only makes the sound when I'm moving. I took it for a short drive this morning to test again, and it actually does sometimes make the sound with the clutch in (and in neutral), just not as much. It's usually when there's a change in torque (releasing the accelerator or clutch) that the sound is loudest. It also sounds like an external sound now that I listen to it, so I'm thinking the UJ attached to the transfer case might be the problem.

Dawie, Andy, Louis, agreed about the plugs and buckets. It's time to replace the plugs anyway, so I'll just do everything in one go. It's not very clean at the moment, but it shouldn't cause problems.

I think if it's not the UJ, then it's probably the clutch. It's not slipping yet, but I've done 270,000 without any clutch issues, so it's probably due. That might be the next lesson in my mechanical training, otherwise I might see if Louis has a gap to make this the 3rd input shaft bearing he's done lately! :siffler: ;-)
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

I sprayed some Q20 into the UJ and the sound seemed to get better, so I think I'll replace that and see where we go from there.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Pump some grease into those universal joints and slip joints on both shafts, there should be grease nipples on them. The front shaft has a double cardan joint at the x-fer box, so there are two nipples there. The front shaft should also not be turning unless you are moving with the hub locks engaged or are moving and have the X-fer box engaged.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

I replaced the two front u-joints on the rear shaft (the back one I replaced recently). Also checked the centre bearing while I had the prop shaft off. It seemed to be in good nick, which is nice. The sound is definitely gone, so I don't have to do the clutch just yet :celebrate: ! I think the moral of the story is that if there's a strange sound from the drive-train, it's almost certainly one of the universal joints (unless it isn't)...

I tried pumping some grease into the universals, but the nozzle I have is too fat to fit onto the nipple properly - the grease just goes around the nipple no matter how I push it on. Is there a special grease gun attachment for universals, or is this just operator error? I went to a few spares and tools places, but it seems that I already have the standard fitting, and they didn't know about any smaller nozzle.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Your grease gun nozzle is probably the correct size. It could be that the old grease has solidified with age and dirt inside the nipple - remove the nipples (they just turn out) and soak in petrol for a few minutes and then blow out with compressed air before putting them back. :winkx:

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rigger »

What i always do is grease the universals before i put the shaft back because then you can turn the yoke so that the clearing is big enough for the grease gun to fit in. But this advice means nothing to you now :lol:

Return to “The Workshop”