4.0 V6 Tappet noise / valve clearance

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

4.0 V6 Tappet noise / valve clearance

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Evning All

I now require so urgent advise regarding the V6 1GR FE with regards to the valve clearance.

So I got some serious noise while travelling at speed from the left bank (bank 2) on Obelix II.

towed vehicle home (thanks Arne) and tried to locate noise which seemed to come from bank 2. So off with covers to expose the cams checked valve clearances and found that there where a couple out of spec. so since I had the engine open decided to replace all the valve lifters.

So with the new valve lifters installed timing chains all set back to original positions as per the manual on this forum closed her up poured in new oil and started her up.

OH HELL now the noise is on both banks. Opened her up again and confirmed the timing marks and made sure that the oil is getting where it is suppose to be.

Closed her up again starts easier like she should noise slightly better but still way to load.

Will be checking the oil pressure tomorrow once i get a gauge.

So all you professional and weekend mechanics out the .......

HELP

Thanks in advance and even if it is a small thing please mention it it might be something we overlooked.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Re: 4.0 V6 Tappet noise / valve clearance

Post by Rigger »

I've had it that valve lifters make those noises even after being submerged in oil over night. Just keep on idling until they are quite is what i always do. If the oil is getting to the cams and lifters then oil pressure shouldn't be a problem
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Thanks rigger
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mylux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 4.0L V6 Vigo 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC249

Post by Mylux »

I am convinced that you have an oil pressure problem and that the original fault occurred as a result of oil pump failure.
Any feedback from the slim manne out there will be appreciated
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Quentin did you bleed those lifters properly.I remember when I replaced the lifters of my 4y the 1ste time I could not get the engine started.After I bleeded them the engine starts with the first turn.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

1Gr-fe engines has shims not hydrolic lifters only the 1Gr-fe in the Prado and FJ has lifters. If the oilpump starts to fail it could cause the vvti sprockets to make a rather loud knocking noise. Measure the oil pressure.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

MCHILUX wrote:1Gr-fe engines has shims not hydrolic lifters only the 1Gr-fe in the Prado and FJ has lifters. If the oilpump starts to fail it could cause the vvti sprockets to make a rather loud knocking noise. Measure the oil pressure.
How do you mean the 1GR-fe has shims bit then you say the 1GR-fe in another model has valve lifters, aren't they all the same? What you say the is that the 1GR in the Hilux and LC pick ups is different from that in the Prado and FJ. Only difference i know of is the first 1GR's only has VVti on the intake and the newer models has on intake and exhaust
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

The 1Gr's in the FJ , Prado150 and new gen. Hilux are completely different from the older models. Dual vvti and ,hydrolic lifters and much more complicated engine managment systems to comply with strict emission laws in Europe
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

MCHILUX wrote:The 1Gr's in the FJ , Prado150 and new gen. Hilux are completely different from the older models. Dual vvti and ,hydrolic lifters and much more complicated engine managment systems to comply with strict emission laws in Europe

+1

Correct.
Many different variants or derivatives on the 1GR-FE.
Indicated in model nubers as GRN210/215, GRJ's, GGN's and so forth...
more than twenty.. (New Revo not included)
Not even going to mention (some) of the differences here.
Too many..can fill a whole outhouse full! :laugh2:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz

Return to “The Workshop”