IFS Rear Prop Shaft Leaking Grease

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

IFS Rear Prop Shaft Leaking Grease

Post by drew3 »

Hi all

I have had a constant issue with my IFS, experiencing a thud/clunk when releasing clutch. It only happens when i am not carefully amd release the clutch pedal quickly, but is not existent when I release it slowly. Several people have told me that I need to pump my prop shaft full of grease to make sure it is fully extended.

So I have been doing this on a regular basis, but I am having to do it very regularly. It gets rid of the thud for a short while only.

This morning I climbed under the car and did the same thing, but hung around for a while and saw that slowly but surely a lot of the new grease I pump in seeps out at the universal joint, and the fully extended shaft returns back to the way it was - not fully extended.

A little concerned this thud/clunk might be doing damage to my rear diff or the diff splines. Am I going to have to get the propshaft refurbished to solve the leaking grease issue?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: IFS Rear Prop Shaft Leaking Grease

Post by Mud Dog »

Pumping it full of grease is not the answer and it will have to find it's way out somewhere, if not at the slip-joint, then at the universal end. The slip-joint is there to allow for length variation as the axle moves up and down in it's arc. The thud you hear is due to wear somewhere - this could be the universals, the slip-joint, the centre carrier bearing or even in the diff itself. Do you grease the universal joints as well? Dry uni's can also cause this.

Climb in underneath (in neutral and motor off) and rotate the prop by hand to determine how much play there is - 5mm rotational play either way would be pretty normal. If it's excessive, try see where it is .... for example, hold the prop on each side of the slip-joint and try rotate in opposing directions. Do this at the centre uni as well, the end uni's at the diff and x-fer box you will have to hold the shaft flange.

If it's excessive anywhere in the prop, have it refurbished and balanced. If it's in the diff, you might get away with having the backlash set. Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: IFS Rear Prop Shaft Leaking Grease

Post by drew3 »

Mud Dog wrote:Pumping it full of grease is not the answer and it will have to find it's way out somewhere, if not at the slip-joint, then at the universal end. The slip-joint is there to allow for length variation as the axle moves up and down in it's arc. The thud you hear is due to wear somewhere - this could be the universals, the slip-joint, the centre carrier bearing or even in the diff itself. Do you grease the universal joints as well? Dry uni's can also cause this.

Climb in underneath (in neutral and motor off) and rotate the prop by hand to determine how much play there is - 5mm rotational play either way would be pretty normal. If it's excessive, try see where it is .... for example, hold the prop on each side of the slip-joint and try rotate in opposing directions. Do this at the centre uni as well, the end uni's at the diff and x-fer box you will have to hold the shaft flange.

If it's excessive anywhere in the prop, have it refurbished and balanced. If it's in the diff, you might get away with having the backlash set. Good luck. :winkx:
Thanks Mud Dog. Much appreciated. I will take a look under there today.

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: IFS Rear Prop Shaft Leaking Grease

Post by drew3 »

drew3 wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:Pumping it full of grease is not the answer and it will have to find it's way out somewhere, if not at the slip-joint, then at the universal end. The slip-joint is there to allow for length variation as the axle moves up and down in it's arc. The thud you hear is due to wear somewhere - this could be the universals, the slip-joint, the centre carrier bearing or even in the diff itself. Do you grease the universal joints as well? Dry uni's can also cause this.

Thanks Mud Dog. Much appreciated. I will take a look under there today.

I put grease everywhere that I can, including the universals, which also leak grease. Do you think I am overdoing the grease? They have always leaked though. I have owned the car for the past 25 000km. I can see that the transfer case has been opened before, with red gasket maker squeezed out where the propshaft joins.

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Nah, I always grease until I see it starting to push out a little - there aren't any grease seals that you can pop on the uni's or slip-joint.

If I'm not mistaken, the X-fer is chain driven on the 2.7 - could be that it was replaced due to stretching or the shaft seal may have been done due to leaking. Either way, if it's all OK and working, I wouldn't worry about it. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Willem van Schalkwyk »

Hi Mud,

I have the same problem but it is excessive backlash on the diff.
How do you set this?

Dankie Baie!
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Willem van Schalkwyk wrote:Hi Mud,

I have the same problem but it is excessive backlash on the diff.
How do you set this?

Dankie Baie!
How can you tell that it is backlash? No play sat any of the universals?

Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

I have done all the checks and my universals were replaced about a month ago.
The prop shaft has no play and when you turn the wheels I can seen the amount of play between the prop and the diff. I seems to be to much.
I must add that my hilux (not bakkie) :twisted: is standing on 330K km and 130K km of that is with a supercharger on.

The diffs and boxes never been opened.
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

So Google is your friend.
Doesn't seem to be to difficult unless you get it wrong.
Thanks everyone!
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Clunking is classic worn centre bearing.

Lay underneath and press the popshaft up, there should be zero play on the centre bearing.

Grease is always gonna leak out of universals, centrifugal force enol.

Rich :cooldude:
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Dadz Toy wrote:Clunking is classic worn centre bearing.

Lay underneath and press the popshaft up, there should be zero play on the centre bearing.

Grease is always gonna leak out of universals, centrifugal force enol.

Ja thanks I was just looking at the centre bearing and I can definitely push up on it. But it looks like it is sitting high if I can put it that way. I can almost fit my finger inside between the shaft the housing of the centre bearing.

Image Link Broken

But it seems that there is no rotational play between any of the universals or between the shaft and either flange. But it rotates at the diff and transfer case. How do I measure how long the play is? And what is acceptable here?

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That carrier bearing is poked. About 5 to 8 mm rotation of the prop is OK, not too critical if it's more,but then you really notice it when taking your foot off the pedal or vice versa - clunk, clunk.

Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dadz Toy »

How much do the Stealers want for an IFS Centre Bearing?

Note: whilst some Okes refer to it as a "carrier bearing", don't use that term with the Stealers, they'll not have a clue what you're talking about!
Centre Bearing net!

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Mud Dog wrote:That carrier bearing is poked. About 5 to 8 mm rotation of the prop is OK, not too critical if it's more,but then you really notice it when taking your foot off the pedal or vice versa - clunk, clunk.
Thought as much thanks. However I think the play is more than 5/8mm. But I don't notice any clunk whatsoever when releasing the accelerator.

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Dadz Toy wrote:How much do the Stealers want for an IFS Centre Bearing?

Note: whilst some Okes refer to it as a "carrier bearing", don't use that term with the Stealers, they'll not have a clue what you're talking about!
Centre Bearing net!

I was just quoted R 2800 by my local Toyota for a centre bearing (assembly) for my 2001 IFS.... I had to ask the lady if she was sure twice. That sounds ridiculous. Or is that normal?

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Propshaft Centre here in Klerksdorp replaced the centre bearing on Hound Dog, total bill fitted was less than 20% of what you were quoted. This was three years ago, still going strong.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Family_Dog wrote:Propshaft Centre here in Klerksdorp replaced the centre bearing on Hound Dog, total bill fitted was less than 20% of what you were quoted. This was three years ago, still going strong.

-F_D
Ja I was quoted R 450 to replace the centre bearing by a local CV-PROP Shaft place (Ellisras). To refurb the whole shaft was less than what Toyota quoted me on the centre bearing part alone... But they are now closed until January. Good thing I don't drive much.

Just a little concerned about getting a poor quality part.

Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dadz Toy »

A centre bearing for my SFA in Cape Town is R2500 from the stealers.
I just bought one from Masterparts for R550.

It won't last that long but I only drive trails these days and the last generic I bought was on since 2013.

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Replaced the centre bearing this afternoon. The old one had basically seperator from the carrier housing.

Bought a generic part from Midas. Got a nce discount and only paid R 270 for the part. Could not find a replacement locknut but made due with the old one. Definitely suggest you use a bearing puller to get the flange off.

Test drove and have found no clunk/thud noise at speeds up to 80kmph. Will check again when I'm off the reserve on tar again at 120. Tried to make sure I lined everything up properly, so will also have to see if I get any vibration at higher speeds.

Thanks for the input guys.

Return to “The Workshop”