Convertion from 22R to Diesel on a 1995 Hylux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Fish Daiwa
Town: Mossel Bay
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 2.4

Convertion from 22R to Diesel on a 1995 Hylux

Post by Fish Daiwa »

Hi Gents I am a Newbe

I have a 1995 double cab Hilux 2.4 Petrol we all know they are very heavy on fuel consumption and my 22R needs to be changed, I am thinking of fitting a Diesel engine in the 22R place

Can anyone give me some info on what diesel engine with ok performance and good fuel consumption that fits straight on the gearbox with minor modifications like exhaust, engine mountings, radiator

Sorry just to ad its a 5 speed gearbox

Really hope to get some info thanks Gents :?:
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Re: Convertion from 22R to Diesel on a 1995 Hylux

Post by Rigger »

Straight fit would be a 2L or 3L but i am not sure if the bell housing and other parts like exhaust manifould is a straight fit. Otherwise I see alot of guys install the Ford WL engine but that is a conversion and you asked for straight fit so just mentioned it
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

You can get a kit for the guys in Capetown Allen Venter or Francios to fit WL2.5 Ford into Hilux
seems to be very successful conversion ,they have done quite a few ,you have to use the local engine though not imported version ,some part of imported motor is on the wrong side
these motors are becoming scarce though or have very high mileage ,when i wanted to fitted my Hilux with one could not get even a sub assembly from Ford

Martin
Fish Daiwa

Post by Fish Daiwa »

Hi Martin do you have contact details of the guys in Capetown

and thanks for the info just to make sure is it the 2.5 TDI I had a Ranger in the past 2006 model with 2.5 tdi in and it was a very good engine
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

That is correct, its the 2.5 Tdi. There is also a normal aspirated WL but try to get the turbo version
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The 2.5tdi WL is a great engine, but the conversion still doesn't come cheap!

Get some real fuel consumption figures for the WL before forking out for the conversion... it may be cheaper in the long run to stay with the 22R, or possibly fuel inject it(if you can find the parts required!).
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi

do not have any details at the moment they are however on this forum ,maybe you can send them a PM
i calculated conversion if i did it myself ,and used aold engine which had to be repaired it would cost around
R45000.00 rand maybe more now,i needed more power to tow caravan ,engine in my bakkie was fine

Martin
Fish Daiwa

Post by Fish Daiwa »

Hi Martin

I got hold off Allan did speak to him about the WL 2.5 conversion going to cost me with engine about 50K, but then its a job very well done, I had a 2.5 Ranger before and the engine was amazing very good fuel consumption and performance was very good, so I think its the best choice to go for , just looking for a engine now there is a lot of import in Sa and not so much non imported one but it is not that you wont get one luckily engine price + - 25k Conversion done by Allan 25k will post when it is in :celebrate:

Return to “The Workshop”