Best clutch to use on Lexus v8

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: 1989 Hilux dc 4x4 lexus

Best clutch to use on Lexus v8

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Hi all.
What suggestions may yous have. As when i put my foot down. You smell clutch burn. Clutch looked new when it was installed.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Best clutch to use on Lexus v8

Post by Mud Dog »

What box and what bell housing is on there?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

D4D clutch works well apparently; friend of mine is going to do the one on his Lexus; R7k includes the proper bell housing
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Image Link Broken

Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Finally found a pic of the box nd bellhousing before installation.
Mud dog has referred me to someone. Will post more when ive seen him. Thanx stef

swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

I now have the Gilo engineering Bellhousing which goes with a 2.7 vvti cluth kit.
I used to have a Fana bellhousing with Dyna truck clutch, but had to change it when the scew bellhousing destroyed my gearbox.
11223903_1015660555153294_8687823642883558651_n.jpg
11745450_1015661288486554_7531650188805223652_n.jpg
The black one is from Gilo.
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Sometimes wonder if its not just easier and less p.t to just install ford v6. No ecu problems.... 2 cams not 4. Less valves less fuel consumption... etc etc.... sigh

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The Essex V6 was a popular conversion in it's time, but it's a very old motor and spares are now a major problem. Stay with the Lexus - once it's set up properly, it's trouble free. If I'm not mistaken, Dylan has a Gilo Eng. bell for lexus to SFA box lying loose, but before you consider that, let him confirm what you already have, get his advice and decide from there.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Update....
Saw the chap... reckons my box is packing up. Apparantly turbotoys were selling bellhousings which wernt skimed properly. Hence my 4th gear jumps out which runs on the main output shaft from motor.
Lots of play on right front wheel where the shims were missing. Need full bearing set.... ai ai ai
Need another job....
Need more money....

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish! Not good news, but you're not the first one here to have box problems as a result of a bad bell.

Perhaps you can do one thing at a time as the budget allows. If it were me, I'd get the axle done first and since you're in the engineering game, you might see your way clear to doing it yourself ..... it's not rocket science, but you might be without the vehicle for a day or two.

The box can be sorted later (it's already damaged). Just get the right bell from Gilo Engineering and take it all to Mayfair Gearbox & Diff Centre. In fact, take it there first before spending any money and ask their opinion if you should stick with the SFA box or change to a KZ box. Ask to speak to Owen Bridger.

Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

It is the kz box i have. Guy i bought motor from said he messed up 2 sfa boxes with this motor..... who knows... maybe also a "skew" bellhousing

Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Ive downloaded and printed the manual how to service the diffs etc. Sure i can sort that out.... my worries is the box. Mumming quite a bit. But quite when clutch depressed. Sounds like release bearing but as soon as you pull off it sounds like it grinds...
Where do i post if anyone has a gilo made bellhousing and another kz box. Or do you suggest to just get new?

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A box can be rebuilt / reconditioned and cheaper than new. Speak to Owen first ... he can get you a bell or maybe even skim yours to spec. The man is pretty clued up.

The SFA box was never intended to handle the torque from a V8 and a heavy foot with that power breaks it, so maybe not necessarily the bell.

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Spoke to my buddy yesterday...so he's going for the Fana bell housing & new flywheel for R7k and then a new D4D clutch, the 260mm version.
That is apparently the recipe that works.

So far he messed the clutch (quantum 230mm) and the sideshafts twice; gearbox no issues...it is the KZ Surf box. Diffs still original SFA petrol ratios.
To recon a gearbox with a complete cluster is about R14k - R16k

Return to “The Workshop”