cylinder head rebuild

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: lusaka
Vehicle: toyota hilux ln65 4x4 dlx s/c

cylinder head rebuild

Post by faiyaz »

hello everyone, planning on rebuilding the cylinder head on my 2L engine for my hilux, its leaking really badly from the back of the engine, i think previously the cylinder head was not torqued to the correct spec. Is there anything i should put on the engine block or cylinder head before fitting the head gasket, ive heard that some people put grease , oil or shellac . Or should i just fit it on a clean engine block, no chemicals. any other pips and tricks for this lengthy procedure ? thank you!!!
hilux raider ln65 4x4 s/c
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: cylinder head rebuild

Post by Mud Dog »

The best is to fit a good quality gasket to clean surfaces. If the mating surfaces have been scoured for some reason, leaving scratches or if there is minor pitting from corrosion (deep pitting is another problem), then it might be advisable to use some form of gasket cement. The problem with using these products is that subsequent gasket removal becomes a bit of a mission. Using an aluminium paint (non bituminous) on the mating surfaces immediately prior to assembly works quite well in place of gasket cements. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

ok ill only know once I've removed the cylinder head tomorrow, if its all smooth then will fit it with no cement etc, thanks !!
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

When you have the head off, make sure to check that the head and block mating surfaces are level and flat. Use a steel rule across the surface and check for gaps.

A warped head can cause the same thing so check carefully and if you find any gap have the head skimmed flat.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BKRITZ
Town: GEORGE
Vehicle: HILUX SFA 2.4 diesel

Post by BKRITZ »

ALUMINIUM SPRAY AND INCREASE TORQUE SETTINGS WITH 10NM
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

ok cool i checked that, they are flat , would copper spray do the same job ? mind you its a paper type head gasket and has a coating of like grey rubber on it
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

Deciced to remove the bonnet makes things abit easier if you climb in :laugh2: , the exhaust valves had heaps of carbon/gunk on them, piston 4s was the worst, is this normal(managed to clean them up with a bench grinder and scraper)? On the pic of the cylinder head you can see where the head gasket failed where there's oil. Compared to all 4 of the pistons piston 3 had the most soot on it, pistons are not shaking so rings must be ok. however once i cleaned off the old gasket material the side where the head gasket was leaking turned out to have some pitting :( hoping it seals well.
Attachments
DSC_0144.JPG
DSC_0143.JPG
IMG-20170630-WA0007.JPG
PicsArt_07-01-10.04.34.jpg
IMG-20170630-WA0009.JPG
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmmm ..... that pitting around the water galleries doesn't look too wonderful. The aluminium paint will certainly help but I think a light skim of the head would be in order. I'm not one for unnecessary skimming, however in your case it might be recommended - it will also eliminate any warping issues that may be present.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

ok, its been skimmed before, i think there's a minimum thickness the cylinder head has to be, will try and research what the minimum amount is and get it skimmed hopefully, thanks for the help!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hopefully just a light skim will do it.

Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

The question you need to ask yourself is if you want to be doing this all over again in a year or two. If it lasts that long. I always say that seeing as I have done the work it does not make sense if you do not do it properly. A good engineering shop will immediately be able to tell you if the head can still be skimmed.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

true!ill do that thanks, yup cleaning each and every component is a pain!

Return to “The Workshop”