4y smell of pretol when drive

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bushpig68
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2.2 4y 4×4 hilux
Club VHF Licence: Bushpig

4y smell of pretol when drive

Post by Bushpig68 »

:surrender: can anyone give me advice please.. I bought a 4y 4x4 hilux galvanized chassis mubusa body hilux for my dad .. besides needing new brake lines my biggest problem at the moment is when u driving the cab smells of pretol. All original hilux parts before convection was done not by me years ago by friend before he die :(
Advise how to sort out .. bakkie is in Durban. Is it best to fix carb or change to a VW 1.8 carb and who can help in Durban. Thank for the help Craig
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4y smell of pretol when drive

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Craig! :thumbup:

Are you sure it's coming from the carb? Could be one of the fuel lines, the fuel pump or even the fuel filter. You should be able to see where it's leaking with the bonnet open while it's running. If its on the carb you would usually see a reddish residue on or around the carb. Needle and seat OK? The float level should be such that the fuel in the float chamber is exactly in the middle of the sight-glass on the side of the carb (there are arrow heads on the casing).

99% of the time it's worth sorting the carb unless the throttle butterfly shaft bushes are badly worn. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bushpig68

Post by Bushpig68 »

Thank you.. I will tell my dad to check. Love this site
Bushpig68

Post by Bushpig68 »

Ok just spoke to my dad .. he says when he opens the garage in the morning .. he can smell the petrol .. so he will start check fuel line ..pump and filter. Second thing his told me is when he stops a stop street the bakkie splatters missed and back fires. It's hard to pull off and he does pull off it first splatters then it takes off.. thinking carb needs saying
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Also check the fuel cap breather. Could be that there is pressure in the tank and thus in the lines. If the needle valve in the float chamber is leaking it will push into there and over-fill which could be the cause of the fuel smell in the garage. It could also cause the spluttering at stops. Once you sorted the fuel leak and carb, I would also check ignition timing.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”