D4d turbo noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

D4d turbo noise

Post by muki »

I've noticed a increase in turbo whistle lately. The van doesn't feel down on power and there is no smoke from the exhaust. Any idea what it could be?

Ps I'm assuming it's coming from the turbo as the noise seems to be accelerator/boost dependant.

I have checked the boost pipe which seems to be fine. Toyota looked at my van for about 10 mins then stated I need a new turbo. Is there anyone in cpt I could take my van to in cpt to have a look and second opinion?

Van is 2009 hilux with 166k. Egr blanked, 76mm exhaust. Uniq chipped by ksd.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Last edited by muki on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: D4d turbo noise

Post by Mars »

First put some Wynns turbo and injector cleaner in the diesel and see if it makes a difference. The topic of whistling turbos on the D4D has been discussed before. Just do a search on the forum. My colleague's one has had an audible whistle since new. Mine has a very slight whistle only audible under certain circumstances. At one point it was getting a little louder but it is back to normal now.
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

How dirty is the air-filter ? I had it once and found that my air-filter was dirty (dusty roads ?) and i can only guess the lack of air was causing lower pressure/air density around impeller and that caused the whistling.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

That is a very interesting observation Mervyn.

Return to “The Workshop”