SFA Allignment

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

SFA Allignment

Post by pampoen »

I took the bakkie to have wheel alignment done today and the guy didn't know how to set it properly. Apparently all you can set is the toe on the front axle. The Camber and Caster was set when the bakkie was built. Looking at the alignment machine I was shocked to see how far out of alignment it was.

My question is there a way to some how shim the alignment back to normal? I have booked and will leave the bakie at Riaans alignment in Somerset West, they can straighten bent axles (Just a note of interest, the one techie was saying that the new jeep wrangler axles are build like tin, he said they've had to straighten quite a few already.) We had a good laugh. :cooldude:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Re: SFA Allignment

Post by dd6 »

It is only the toe that can be set. You will have to put in offset bearings on the spindle to be able to set camber.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Toe in / out can easily be adjusted on the tie-rod.

Once a banjo housing / solid live axle housing has been bent, it is next to impossible to get it 100% true again - metal stretches. They might be able to get it pretty close but it will never be perfect. Only trial will tell if it's going to be OK and not run bearings or seals.

Castor and camber are set values on the SFA and besides modification, offset knuckle cone bearing or shim adjustment, these are only altered through rugged use / abuse. I would wonder why yours is out of spec.

Castor can change a little as a result of after market suspension fitment or collapsing spring pedestals (AKA spring perches). The topic of rectifying the pedestals has been discussed a few times here and is not a difficult thing to do. If you have this problem and want to straighten them out again, I would suggest reinforcing them as well at the same time. For castor, rather than rebuild the axle if it's not necessary, one can shim the pedestal and although it works fairly well, this is not ideal.

WRT the above said, if the camber is out of spec (IIRC it's tolerant to 1° off 90° on the negative side and 1½° off 90° on the positive), then the cone bearings in the knuckle can be replaced with offsets that rectify the incorrect camber. I don't know if these are commercially available or if you have to have them made up by a competent engineering works.

Having said all that, it reverts back to what the cause of it all is - if it is indeed a bent axle then much of that will come back into spec after the "straightening". The shop that you've taken it to sounds like they know what they're doing, so I would let them have a look at it first and advise you accordingly before doing anything. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.

Return to “The Workshop”