Engine conversion.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Flip1
Town: Randfontein
Vehicle: Toyota 4x4 hilux

Engine conversion.

Post by Flip1 »

I have a 1989 Hklux 2.2 4Y engine at the moment. But I also have a caravan that puts loads of pressure on me. The engine is not strong enough so it is heavy on petrol. I want to try and put another engine in possibly diesel turbo, that still has to fit on the gearbox. Or an engine that needs minimal modifications. Has anyone tried it before and if so can give any pointers.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Engine conversion.

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Phillipus! :thumbup:

There are many motor conversions that have been done to these models and a lot of them using the original box. However be warned that the box and drive-train is not designed to handle the torque of the bigger motors. It would be OK if one were to always keep this in mind and drive very moderately, but with the intent of towing a caravan I think you will suffer damage without gearing down on inclines. Doing this would put you right back to where you started with the 4Y and negate the purpose of the conversion in the first place.

So in your case I would dismiss the V8's, V6's and straight 6 motors unless you are prepared to upgrade the drive-train (or at the very least, the gearbox). I would probably just live with the slow but robust and reliable 4Y, but if you're intent on spending some money, consider these options ;

• What tyre diameter are you running? If you're running on bigger tyres you could consider dropping down to 30" diameter which will improve your towing ability somewhat.

• Doing an EFI conversion to the 4Y which will give a small gain in power with similar or marginally better fuel economy. The beauty of this is that there is no need for replacing bell-housing, clutch, changing engine (and perhaps gearbox) mountings, engine management system, radiator, fuel delivery, wiring etc., etc., etc. .........

• If you want to keep it Toyota you could fit a 2.4lit 22R (petrol) and still use the original box but power gains will be small. Or fit a KZTE 3lit (diesel) with matching gearbox. Power gains and towing ability will improve dramatically but now you are looking at a more involved and more costly conversion.

• The best conversion for your needs IMO would be to fit a Ford WL 2.5lit (diesel) motor and keep the original box. Good power gains with improved economy and being a relatively simple conversion, probably the best "bang for your bucks".

• And then of course if you want to really spend some serious lolly, you can go the route of the Toyota 3.4 lit 5VZ (V6 petrol) or Lexus (Toyota) 4lit 1UZ (V8 petrol) along with suitable drive-train replacement.

So the real question becomes whether you want to go through all that hassle and expense for the sake of towing a caravan once or twice a year? Personally I think you would be better off either living with the 4Y or selling the vehicle and get something more suitable for towing in standard form. Consider also that except for fitting EFi to the 4Y, a motor conversion typically does not improve the vehicle's resale value (normally the opposite), so when selling you loose the cost of the conversion.

A lot of food for thought. Good luck on your decision. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Flip1

Post by Flip1 »

Hi Mud Dog.
Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I will certainly consider all my options before doing something drastic. If I do however decide to do the Ford conversion can you advice on the changes that would entail?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

IIRC George here on the forum did such a conversion and he would be more able to give the full and finer details and maybe even the costs involved. If memory serves, he did a mechanical injector pump on his which I assume would then require a lift pump as well. Otherwise you would have to fit an ECU (either OEM or after-market) for the common rail injector control. I'm thinking that an OEM ECU with common rail injectors would be the better option if you can lay your hands on one preferably the one that was originally with the motor.

There would be bell housing required to match the motor to the box and the clutch will have to fit the splines on the spigot shaft but also fit into the pressure plate on the flywheel. A spigot bearing will have to be matched and the spigot shaft itself might need some machining. The whole bell housing and clutch story is probably the single most critical part of the conversion.

Then of course it's engine mountings that have to be moved on the chassis, replacing the radiator with a dual core that can handle the heat of a diesel.The fan and radiator cowl need to be lined up and set at the right depth (one might have to space the fan forward or set it back). The sump might have to be modified so that it doesn't foul against the axle.

Front suspension / shocks might have to be beefed up a bit for the heavier motor, but I doubt it unless you still have the OEM leaf packs.

Exhaust will have to be adapted and an EGT sensor fitted. Fuel tank to be purged and diesel filter fitted to the delivery line. You might have to shift an item or two in the engine bay. Inter-cooler and bonnet scoop to be fitted. Then there's the re routing of wiring and fitting of ECU + wiring and glow plug relay. The cluster lights and gauges wired and maybe adapted for the engine (rev counter might be difficult). You might want an EGT gauge as well. The re-routing of accelerator cable - hopefully you get a motor with plenum and throttle body, otherwise you would have to source these.

There are likely to be some things that I missed, not having done such a conversion (and the lateness of the hour means the mind is tired - LOL), but it will give you an idea of what has to be done. It's never quite as simple as it sounds and some conversions are more involved and more problematic. Perhaps you will now understand better why I said to stick with the original 4Y or just fit EFI to it.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Flip1

Post by Flip1 »

Thanks mud dog i think i stik toe the 4 y motor
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: :winkx:

Look around for an EFI setup and get all the bits together. Once you have everything, do the EFI conversion - it will help.

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

EFI conversion on a 4Y makes an incredible improvement - the engine has more torque and constant down-gearing on hills is a thing of the past. Will still be no racer when towing a caravan though, but who cares? You have the perfect combo for touring and admiring the scenery.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Flip1

Post by Flip1 »

Thanks guys for all your help and advice. After reading all your comments and chewing it over I think I will stick to my 4Y.
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Flip

contact LouisZ (Louis Zanoli) here on the forum he has done quite a few of these conversions and will know where you can get such a system, he lives in Pretoria

Martin
Flip1

Post by Flip1 »

Hi. Do you maybe have a contact number for him?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Flip Louis cell nr is 084 250 5560
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Flip1

Post by Flip1 »

Baie dankie sal hom kontak en by hom hoor wat hy se.

Return to “The Workshop”