Fuel pump experts help please'- V6 Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Fuel pump experts help please'- V6 Hilux

Post by Mornes »

Hi guys,

If there are any fuel pump experts out there, i would appreciate your input please.

I have a 1gr fe Hilux (4.0 V6) fitted with a TRD supercharger. It is a known problem of the V6 engine to have a problematic fuel pump, causing poor starting, high fuel consumption and surging at mid range RPM. There are factors that make it worse such as long range tank shavings etc. but in general i think the pump is inadequate, especially for the supercharger that runs off higher flow injectors.

I have replaced my pump 3 times now and am convinced that the pump just is not good enough for my application, especially at lower rev range under load where the pump is still operating in it's low speed setting.

I have by-passed the fuel pump resistor circuit and this seems to resolve the issue. No surging, improved fuel economy.

My question is tow fold.
(a) can i continue to run the pump at its 2nd stage full speed permanently, i.e. full speed all the time
(b) is there a pump upgrade available

Thanks!

Morne
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: Fuel pump experts help please'- V6 Hilux

Post by JAMES399 »

I'm not a fuel pump "expert", but Underdog Racing Development sells a line of fuel pump upgrade kits. I used their Tacoma 2.7L kit on my 2.4L '03 Hilux without any problems. Call them and talk to their tech support people. They are very helpful.

https://www.urdusa.com/fuel-pumps/

- JAMES
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

best solution is to get a better pump but in the meantime you will have no issues running it on the bypass circuit at full pressure. It will just not last as long as normal
Image Link Broken
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Disel electric sells Bosch pump and they have different flow rates. I suggest you call them and explain the problem and let them suggest a pump with higher flow rate.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

Thanks gents.

Does anybody know what the standard fuel pump gives in terms of flow rate? i know pressure is around 2.8/2.9 bar.

Some of the performance fuel pumps available are 255/265 liter per hour.
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

ATS supply automotive racing components. https://www.ats-motorsport.co.za/
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Morne,

The average fuel pump for most engines supply around 150 - 200L per hour. I have read that most TRD superchargers use the standard pump, but there is upgrades available for it should you be running the high boost pulley.

Walbro pumps should be able to advise you on what flow rate will work for your HIlux as they supply replacement pumps that replace the OE one in tank without any modifications.
Johan Marais
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

Thanks Johan, I have the pulley upgrade and it makes sense that the problem is now more pronounced. I will search for the Walbro pump option to see where I can source it.

Thanks again.
Morne' Smuts

Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Willem van Schalkwyk »

Hi Morne,

I have the only solution for this problem.

Take the charger off. I will organise the transport to drop the charger at my place me. I will dispose of it in a responsible manner :cooldude: :twisted:
Put your old intake back and you fuel pump should not be an issue anymore!

Pm me your address for pickup.

Regards,
Willem
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

Willem van Schalkwyk wrote:Hi Morne,

I have the only solution for this problem.

Take the charger off. I will organise the transport to drop the charger at my place me. I will dispose of it in a responsible manner :cooldude: :twisted:
Put your old intake back and you fuel pump should not be an issue anymore!

Pm me your address for pickup.

Regards,
Willem
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A cold beer is the best you will get out of me...Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Morne' Smuts

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Mornes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm I have a 1gr fe Hilux (4.0 V6) fitted with a TRD supercharger.
Morne, I am also planning to force feed my V6 Prado at some stage, hopefully by the end of this year. :siffler: That is why I knew about the pumps....
Mornes wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm A cold beer is the best you will get out of me...Image
That cold beer does sound good though... :thumbup:
Johan Marais
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

JohanM wrote:
Mornes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm I have a 1gr fe Hilux (4.0 V6) fitted with a TRD supercharger.
Morne, I am also planning to force feed my V6 Prado at some stage, hopefully by the end of this year. :siffler: That is why I knew about the pumps....
Mornes wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm A cold beer is the best you will get out of me...Image
That cold beer does sound good though... Image
Walbro will not work on the Hilux unfortunately, the pump body is different and I would prefer not to modify the canister setup if I don't have to; too much of a mission to take the pump out.

I have found a fuel pump of the right pump body shape on e-bay. Its a Denso pump and used for the TRD model specifically. Battling to get pump flow specs but I'm hoping the model description of EFP 265 refers to 265 liter....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Morne' Smuts

Return to “The Workshop”