3RZ Injectors

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

3RZ Injectors

Post by Rigger »

Ek is opsoek na 4 injectors vir ‘n 2.7 3RZ IFS Hilux. Waarmee vervang mens hulle? Gaan Bosch vandag bel, enige ander opsies. Die agente is bietjie duur.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Re: 3RZ Injectors

Post by ismail »

I also had to replace no3 on my 3rz hilux, tried all over and the agents was the only option.

Everyone looked as me as if I was mad looking for those things "cause they never break". but turned out when cold the injector would go open circuit hence miss firing and not reading the signal from the ECU.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rigger »

Thanks Ismail
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rigger »

If anyone wondered, R1437.50 per injector at Gemini parts and its OEM injectors.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Thanks for the info, good to know :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

I have had my 2700i 10years and now having injector issues for the third time. The same symptoms each time misfire on a hot start(engine off for +/- 15 minutes), it doesn’t do it cold or say a few minutes after switching off like filling up with petrol.

2010 177000km No 2 took a while to figure out it was an injector, I had them cleaned first but misfire was still there but once I checked resistance no 2 was way out of spec and readings were very unstable. Should be 12 - 16 ohms at 20C

2014 243000km No 3

2018 330000km No 1 this one was tricky same symptoms but cleared after a few seconds of starting and ohms was okay cold and warm but 15 minutes after shutting off a hot engine the resistance is out.

Gemini quoted me R 1100 excl VAT each for all 4 for that price I think I will replace them all, especially seeing no 4 has also done 330000km! on it and probably also pack up soon and no 2 150000km on it.

I remember reading that 2 & 3(on 4 cylinder) are more likely to go first because of heat soak when engine after engine is shut off(less cooling the centre than outter cylinders) as the fuel evaporates it leaves deposits on the injector.
The build up of deposits causes the coil to malfunction.

I going to start using Chevron Techron concentrate every 5000km or so to clean deposits, these seems to be very highly rated in the US.
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for the info Stephen. Diesel injectors I can understand giving problems due to the high pressures that they run at, but petrol injectors in my experience very seldom give hassles, so it's interesting to hear and also the cause (evaporative fuel deposits on the coils).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

Here is the description of the heat soak:

"When the engine is shut off, the injectors undergo heat soak. Fuel residue evaporates in the injector nozzles, leaving the waxy olefins behind. Because the engine is off, there is no cooling airflow moving through the ports and no fuel flowing through the injectors to wash it away, so heat bakes the olefins into hard varnish deposits. Over time, these deposits can build up and clog the injectors. A vehicle may have low mileage, but short drive cycles and increased heat soaks can clog the injector.

Since the formation of these deposits is a normal consequence of engine operation, detergents are added to gasoline to help keep the injectors clean. But if a vehicle is used primarily for short-trip driving, the deposits may build up faster than the detergents can wash them away. On four-cylinder engines, the No. 2 and No. 3 injectors are in the hottest location and tend to clog up faster than the end injectors on cylinders No. 1 and No. 4. The same applies to the injectors in the middle cylinders in six- and eight-cylinder engines. The hotter the location, the more vulnerable the injector is to clogging from heat soak. Throttle body injectors are less vulnerable to heat soak because of their location high above the intake manifold plenum."
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks! You live and learn. :thumbup: Just yesterday I was telling someone with misfire issues on a petrol motor that the injectors are unlikely culprits - I'll have to tell them about this. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”