Oxygen sensor 4.0 v6

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Oxygen sensor 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Morning all....
My V6 recently decided to show the engine check light and upon investigation it has the fault code P0037.
The description of the code is oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2, meaning the sensor just before the second catilytic converter and not the one closer to the manifold.

Has anyone had to replace one yet and if so were you able to source a less ball wrenching price other than the stealers who want R2500?

I did find a very old post which mentioned Midas at the time but they don't stock anything and Gemini want the same price as Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Oxygen sensor 4.0 v6

Post by Mars »

Did you check the wiring to the sensor?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Scott, worth a shot in the dark here, have you tried to remove the sensor and just clean all the carbon off it and put it back and see if it actually helps?
Johan Marais
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Morning Gents

I have checked the wiring and all is good. I will take it out today and give it a clean and see what happens.

I was able to source a generic sensor from Mintrams (they will order) for almost half what the stealers want.
The only thing of course is whether it will work or not.

As soon as the exhaust has cooled a bit I will go take it out.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Scott remember to keep the battery disconnected for approx 30 minutes to give the ecu time to reset and hopefully clear that fault code stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johan Marais
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Johan, I gave it a clean but alas it is broken as there is no resistance or continuity measured across the two black wires.

It seems though that all these sensors are the same for all cars and the guys tell the difference by the number and colour of the wires. So sourcing a cheaper option is a little easier. The only problem is that the connector that comes with a new one might be different and need swoping with the old one.

Cheapest I can get for now is R1350

Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Be Careful when swapping the wires as the one type is for before the first cat and the other is for after the first cat. I made that expensive mistake. But Speak to Parushaa at Halfway Honeydew and tel her you are from the Hilux Club and she will give you the maximum allowable discount. I have found that her pricing matches and beats Mintrams and Autozones and that is for OEM parts.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I found a second hand one and tested it with a multimeter and all was good. Put it in the truck and fault is now gone.

Cost R300 and worth a try in my book

Thanks for the tip on Halfway, I have bought from Parusha before and yes her prices are always good.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”