Transfer Box "Clank" on G52 5 Speed Gearbox

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 82 Hilux 4x4 S/C

Transfer Box "Clank" on G52 5 Speed Gearbox

Post by Zatopec »

Hello All

Looking at the picture, holding both ends of the input and rear prop shaft side output shafts and turning them in opposite directions there is lots of play and what feels like jumping or skipping a spline. something is loose/worn out inside and its not good. I noticed this when the transfer box was still bolted to the gearbox and turning the flange in any direction

I thought it was the rear prop shaft output side flange splines that was worn out so I removed it. Using 2 vise grips I found the same play/ clank or skipping of splines so I can safely eliminate the flange as the problem. I am not a fundi on this type of stuff and was hoping one of you guys came across or know of something like this.

I am on a tight budged, if someone can help me to diagnose the problem it will be a huge help and I am sure I will be able to fix it myself....

Thanks
Attachments
Gertjie 214.jpg
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Re: Transfer Box "Clank" on G52 5 Speed Gearbox

Post by pampoen »

You sound like you know what you are doing. Open it up and take a look. It already doesn't work so whats to lose? I know the transfer part is fairly simple in theory, perhaps in reality it isn't but common sense should get you over most obstacles.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Zatopec »

pampoen wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:42 pm You sound like you know what you are doing. Open it up and take a look. It already doesn't work so whats to lose? I know the transfer part is fairly simple in theory, perhaps in reality it isn't but common sense should get you over most obstacles.
I am going to have to open it up eventually - I am actually hoping someone had a similar issue. Any advice will make it a lot easier...

Do you perhaps know where i can find a parts diagram/internal outlay of the components inside the TB
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Zatopec »

Thanks Tim. This is going to be most helpful. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Rodney

those G52 gearboxes are prone to breaking a tooth on the fifth gear ,mine did it ,do not khow if that is causing the noise on yours
Engines for Africa in Selby ,sell the gearboxes ,they may have T/cases ,3 years ago gearbox brand new was R5500.00

Martin
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Those old X-fer boxes did develop a bit of free play as they got older .... just normal wear and tear I guess. Pretty sure it can be reconditioned, but if it's not too bad I would just leave it and live with it.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”