How to clean a radiator??

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

How to clean a radiator??

Post by Tim86 »

Just bought 600 bucks worth of Toyota coolant, ran some radiator flush through, tested thermostat, flushed system with water and then had a look down the radi through the cap and saw that many of the vertical tube openings are completely blocked! Had to prise out bits of calcium and sludge to open the ones I could get to. My new coolant aint goin in there!

Can anyone advise on how to clean all the gunk out? I will take the radi out, flip it and flush but is there any chemical I should soak it in to dissolve the sludge and calcium such as vinegar or caustic soda/sodium hydroxide? SFA radiator so copper and solder.

Thanks!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: How to clean a radiator??

Post by Mud Dog »

Never had to go further than radiator flush, but if that's not doing it then IMO caustic is not the way to go - besides being highly corrosive it's a powerful alkali and AFAIK so is calcification. I reckon that an acid would break down the calcification but it's also corrosive and will probably attack the solder joints.

How long did you leave the flush in for?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

I left it in for 3 days, drove 12kms, got motor up to operating temp twice. Slightly longer than the Wynn's bottle instructions in all cases. Prior to flush the coolant had a slight green tinge, after flush and when drained the coolant was proper dark khaki / rust orange coloured so the flush definitely helped, just not enough to remove the more solid, gunky bits. Like clay with quartz pieces in;)
Last edited by Tim86 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I would take the radiator in to one of those radiator services places. They know what they are doing and if they stuff it up then you have some recourse.
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: MISGUND WESTERN CAPE
Vehicle: 1993 2.4d Hilux 4x4 SC

Post by DELILA »

Wynn's do a good job. I would give it a second dose and drive for longer than just 12 kilos. Drive around so that the engine can heat up properly. You can drive for at least 100 kilos. Coke also do a good job. Fill radiator with coke and leave a in for at least 12 hours then flush a few times. Remove thermostat and connect a hose to bottom hose of engine and let water run from bottom to top off engine. Do the same with radiator. Flush until water is as clean as tap water.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Just note that while coke might work, it's acidic and full of sugar. I wouldn't run it at operating temp too long with coke for fear of glazing from the syrup and sugar.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Tend to agree with Marnus .... take it to a radiator shop to be cleaned safely .... maybe they use an ultrasonic bath.

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Yes Wynn's does seem to, these chunks may take a bit more time to dissolve so will give it another go as you recommend (flush and pure water for a few km's shouldn't hurt..?) - wasn't sure if leaving it in too long may cause damage so drained it after only a few km's. Will do the bottom to top motor water flush. Also will swing by Radiator King here in CT and see what they have to say although still want to do the cleaning myself. A google search reports flush active ingredients to predominantly be sodium citrate or phosphoric acid, which is also in coke. I'll give the coke a go with the radiator out.

Thanks for the advice.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

I agree with Andy on the sugar base in coke.
I'd rather go with (white) vinegar.
It's not strong enough to damage the metal but it does do a number on scale.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Just a quick sideline question... what does one do with the flushed out coolant.
recently there was an article where there was green antifreeze looking liquid flowing directly in the ocean here in cape town.
Since it is reported there does not seem to be any treatment before going into the ocean on atlantic seaboard side, and i live quite close to that area, i'm afraid flushing down drain at my house will end up going direct into the ocean... killing all the fishies i love to catch :-(
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good question. Read here bottom of pg7 and top of pg8 ... http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/ci ... icad22.pdf

It doesn't appear to be readily biodegradable but bacteria in pond scum and sewerage achieve total degradation in 2 weeks. If the sewerage flows directly to the ocean, it's going to get there long before the day is out, but in most cases it will pass through some kind of sewerage plant before then after which time I suspect that it will be mostly broken down.

So as strange (I was going to say "fishy") as it sounds, it will appear that the best is to flush it rather than to allow soil contamination.

pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

Try white vinegar. It cleaned my radiator perfectly. Leave it in for about 24 hrs and shake it if possible. Does the job well.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I have also done the vinegar trick. Works well but I might be OCD regarding cleaning.

I flushed the rad, did the vinegar and then removed the radiator and gave it a flush/soak with a acidic alu cleaner in and out. Now it is as clean as I like it.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Filled the radiator with vinegar, blocked the openings and pickled it for two days whilst turning infrequently. Put all back together and filled system with tap water and Wynn's flush only and drove for about 150km's. This is what really seemed to do the trick. When draining, the originally clear water and flush mix was a dark, rusty brown. Upon removal and flushing of the radiator, it was evident that the flush had partially dissolved some solids as there was quite a lot of new sludge that had settled to the bottom of the radiator.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”