Most electrical not working

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
graham7555
Town: MELTON MOWBRAY UK
Vehicle: Hi lux 3.0 D4D

Most electrical not working

Post by graham7555 »

Hi all, new to this forum, but hoping you guys can help me out.

Like a clown I was rushing yesterday morning, instead of fitting the two new batteries to my Hi lux, I thought I would jump it off, and then swap them when I got time later. Alas more haste, more mistakes, I got jump leads the wrong way round. The result is a Hi lux that runs and drives and has hazards, but not a lot else, no wipers, windows, Hevac, horn, cruise etc etc.

I have done some digging, I had two smal blade fuses blown, ECU-B 10A No.24 and No 25 Rad 15A, also above the small fuses is a clear plastic cover on top of two rows of fuses all joined together, like 2 rails, the 100A Alternator fuse is blown. How do I go about replacing that?

And have i done something serious to the rest of my electrics?

Any thoughts?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Most electrical not working

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Graham! :thumbup:
I'm not familiar with the fuse box positions and lay-outs of you vehicle but the fact that it's running is a good sign. I would say to check every fuse and replace what's blown and take it from there to see if something is no longer working, but I doubt that will be the case. You can get replacement fuses from Midas, AutoZone, Diesel Electric and of course the agents.

Let us know how it goes. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Hi Graham
Have a look in the fuse box in the engine bay - right adjacent to the battery. There is a big main fuse there and a number of other fuses which would probably have blown.
graham7555
Town: MELTON MOWBRAY UK
Vehicle: Hi lux 3.0 D4D

Winter pack woes with a dose of stupidity

Post by graham7555 »

I tried this post without enough information, I have the winter pack on my Hi lux and it would seem that, as well as an extra battery, the fuses and fusebox are different, also I haven't seen this rail system before, anyway I was hoping this new information would spark a bit of detailed knowledge.

Original post:-

Like a clown I was rushing yesterday morning, instead of fitting the two new batteries to my Hi lux, I thought I would jump it off, and then swap them when I got time later. Alas more haste, more mistakes, I got jump leads the wrong way round. The result is a Hi lux that runs and drives and has hazards, but not a lot else, no wipers, windows, Hevac, horn, cruise etc etc.

I have done some digging, I had two smal blade fuses blown, ECU-B 10A No.24 and No 25 Rad 15A, also above the small fuses is a clear plastic cover on top of two rows of fuses all joined together, like 2 rails, the 100A Alternator fuse is blown. How do I go about replacing that?

And have done something serious to the rest of my electrics?

Any thoughts?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lets keep this topic in one thread. I have merged the 2nd thread with this, the original one. :winkx:

Graham, I've edited your profile to include "UK" in your location so that the guys can see that you might have a different spec vehicle (we have a "Mowbray" here as well in Cape town).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Hi Graham

That 100A alternator fuse is the one I am referring to. My Brothers D4D had a failure on the Alternator which caused it to blow and that is why I recognised the symptoms you are experiencing. It is possible to remove that main fuse. It has a screw holding it down which need to be removed and there is a clip as part of the fuse you need to release- closest to the body. You can reach them if you remove the battery to provide space to work. You need to cut the cable ties holding the harnesses and the wires leading to the fuse in order for you to be able to pull out the fuse. If you look at the replacement bridge block it will also be evident on how it is secured. Sorry for a somewhat cryptic description. If you inspect the setup closely you will see how it comes apart

Hope you come right.
Kader
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux D4D

Post by Kader »

graham7555 wrote:Hi all, new to this forum, but hoping you guys can help me out.

And have i done something serious to the rest of my electrics?

Any thoughts?
Hi Graham, I have the same issue as of yesterday. Did you find a solution for your electrical issue please?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Return to “The Workshop”