Issue with front fog lights

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Javier
Town: San Jose
Vehicle: Hilux

Issue with front fog lights

Post by Javier »

Hi, I have a 2012 Hilux 3.0 D4D and when I press on the brake pedal, the fog lights turn on, as soon as I release the pedal, they turn off.

Has anyone had this same problem?

Thanks in advance!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Issue with front fog lights

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Javier. :thumbup:

I'm thinking you have a bad earth / ground somewhere or the brake light ground is making contact with the fog light ground at some point in the connections or harness. Toyota like to wire their vehicles using a negative (ground) switching. Also look under the dash at the brake pedal mechanism to check that no wires are being pinched by it or that there are no wires that are rubbing up against it - if your fog lamp wire gets grounded by the pedal action, it will also activate the fog lamps by closing the circuit.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Javier

Post by Javier »

Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

I also just noticed that one of my brake lights no longer works, so I'll have to replace the bulb.
I dont know if a bad bulb would cause this issue, but I will replace it and update.

Thanks again.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Check the connections and cabling behind the brake light and also underneath the rear end. Might not be a fused bulb. Sometimes with an older vehicle the bulb socket corrodes and makes poor contact.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Javier

Post by Javier »

Update: I opened the lights and removed one bulb from my brake lights and stepped on my brake pedal, and the issue did not come up. Put the bulb in the socket again and removed the bulb from the other side, same thing, issue was gone. So I swapped the bulbs, the old ones seemed ok, side by side with the new ones they seemed exactly the same, but I replaced them none the less and now everything works perfectly.

Maybe the contacts inside the bulb were screwed up.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Happy to hear that all is well. It just concerns me that there is another underlying issue - a faulty brake light on it's own should not have caused that. Keep an eye on it and also inspect the wiring under the rear for any damage. :winkx:

Return to “The Workshop”