SFA Front window holder

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

SFA Front window holder

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

The front passenger side window fell into the door yesterday. The little channel that grips the bottom of the window and connects it to the raising and lowering mechanism is rusted to hell. Any one know where I can get a replacement? The raising and lowering mechanism doesn't come with the channel.

Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: SFA Front window holder

Post by Tim86 »

I would just make one Nic, those pieces all seem to rust to bits as they trap water so nicely. Maybe try Arrie in Steelpoort, its a bit drier up there -zero8two 3five7 6zero23
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Thanks. That's Plan B. Plan A is see how many limbs Toyota want for one
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Common problem with the older vehicles, especially when they are not garaged. Every time it rains or you wash the vehicle, some water gets past the upper rubber seal and runs into that cradle.

I had a similar problem and was unable to source a replacement so I just made my own from some heavy gauge tin sheeting. Can be a bit of a bugger to form it - I used a bending break to get the first bend, but had to create the second one over a profile - I think I used a piece of 8 or 10mm steel plate and used a hammer up and down the length until I had a channel. I used the old cradle to position the mounting lugs. (Best would be to braze them on.)

What I did find however is that the original seems to be some type of spring steel that grips the glass and rubber insert pretty tightly. My home made unit didn't do that well enough and the glass kept slipping before I even fitted it, so I secured both the rubber and the glass with Sikaflex - I suppose silicone will also do, but that tends to hold moisture.

Good luck.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Possibly stainless would harbour enough spring. The Glasfit guys use a bonding product similar to SikaFlex when replacing these windows - it allows for some horizontal alignment prior to setting. Put the glue in the channel, hold the window closed in place and do the winder up ensuring the channel slides over the lower window edge. Leave like that to dry. It also pays to play with it a bit prior to applying the glue to get the best cradle position and reduce the possibility of the window sticking as it opens or closes.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Replacement from Toyota is R150. Which is cheaper than buying a sheet of 1mm steel because no one in Stellies has offcuts.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Not bad at all. No one has offcuts anywhere haha.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The dealers still have them?? :blink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Apparently so. I'll post the part number when I get mine
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Mud Dog wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 am The dealers still have them?? :blink:
Yes they do , I also get two of them from the stealers.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

I replaced mine a few months ago. Exactly the same rust scenario. Forget trying to make one, unless you can bend super strong spring steel. My rubber inserts were also perished to hell and gone, so had to replace those as well. Stealers have them, no problem, but not for R150.

6990189109 - channel - R181.23 excl VAT
6997135020 - Filler FR Door Front & Rear - R153.61 excl VAT

I tried making a rail and using Sika to hold the glass in, lasted all of 10 minutes. Gave up and bit the bullet. Those channels are STRONG. You have to remove the glass from the door and whack it on with a rubber mallet. I tried to fit it with the glass in place and exert pressure by winding the window up tight. Not an effing chance.

Good luck, it's a bollie job taking the glass out.

Cheers,
Peter
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Looks like the forum deleted my mild swear word and replaced it with "bollie". No idea what that means, but it was a worse job than that
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

dax021 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:53 pm Looks like the forum deleted my mild swear word and replaced it with "bollie". No idea what that means, but it was a worse job than that
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

dax021 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:53 pm Looks like the forum deleted my mild swear word and replaced it with "bollie". No idea what that means, but it was a worse job than that
:laugh2: .... Not deleted - if you open the original text (edit button) you will see that your original wording is still there. It's a censoring function whereby a word deemed to be vulgar or offensive is replaced when the post displays. I personally have no objection to the word you used, but then I'm essentially English speaking and don't know if it has a stronger vulgarity for Afrikaans speaking members. Either way, we respect the opinion of the moderator who initiated the censoring, so we leave it in place. The word "crap" however seems to be acceptable. :D:

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Andy, personally, I am not a fan of censorship, but then I understand and respect the rules and as a guest on this very useful forum, I will be more careful. At least I now know 1 word I can still use. :mrgreen:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:winkx: :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”