Heating a bearing to fit it

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Heating a bearing to fit it

Post by pietpetoors »

I recently fitted new bearings to the Touareg's front diff and heated it to fit it. The first one I heated too much and it became blue.
Will that definately cause it to fail?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Heating a bearing to fit it

Post by Mud Dog »

I think that it might just. Doubt that it would have warped the race but may have slightly altered the hardness of the steel, in which case it won't last a long as it should. I would say to just run it and see what happens. It shouldn't collapse, but would become noisy quite a while before it actually lets you down completely.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Ya,the blue-ing usually suggests that you've changed the temper of the metal. It's better to cool the shaft to shrink it rather than heat the bearing to expand it
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

niclemaitre wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:52 am Ya,the blue-ing usually suggests that you've changed the temper of the metal. It's better to cool the shaft to shrink it rather than heat the bearing to expand it
That's exactly what my concern would be. But then who knows just how much it may have changed the temper and the bearing could be fine for many years to come. the way I see it, if it has become a little 'softer' it will wear quicker than it should but other than that it should be OK ..... it's running in oil, so it's well lubricated and that will help a bit.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Tool Steel Color vs Temperature
2000°F Bright yellow 1093°C
1100°F Slight red 593°C
1000°F Very slight red, mostly grey 538°C
0800°F Dark grey 427°C
0575°F Blue 302°C
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thank you. 302 degrees is not much , but I guess it should be enough to soften it.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Pieter. I have done a lot of bearing changing in my life. With Bearing heater, oil bath and hot plate. Blueist colour was the norm to tell you bearing is ready to fit. No metal molecule change unless you cool of with water, air or oil. So you are safe.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
blom
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Post by blom »

Rule no 76
Thy shall not heat a bearing more than 138 degrees to fit
just replace it piet
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

SKF site says to heat bearing 80 to 90°C more than the shaft but not to heat bearing more than 125°C. Also not to use a gas torch but rather a heat gun or bearing heater. Read more here ....

http://www.lubsys.com/knowledge/knw_heatmnt.htm

Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Hi Piet. You have probably already assembled the whole shebang? I suppose it depends on what you intend doing with the car. I certainly would not want to be in the middle of the Kalahari and have the bearing collapse. On the other hand it was probably only the thinner wall on the outside of the races that turned blue so it may be allright.

For me it is more about having the confidence to go anywhere than the actual state of the bearing. I hate driving somewhere with that constant worry that something I know is not 100% might fail. So if it was me I would replace it. I might add that it would not be the first time that I would end up stripping something to check or "fix" something that I worry about having screwed up.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thank you Marnus
Will rather replace it. Each little noise now worries me.

Return to “The Workshop”