Toyota Fortuner LCA replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
vvl mal
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Toyota Fortuner LCA replacement

Post by vvl mal »

Morning gents

So im at a crossroads with the Control arms on my 06 Fortuner 4x4. The upper and lower control arms both need bushes replaced.

I have 2 options:

1. Keep the OEM LCAs and UCAs and replace the bushes. I was considering going poly but this will also work out expensive. Also i was told that when removing the old bush, the bush would need to be burnt out, thereby weakening the metal.
2. Fit aftermarket (Teknosa) upper and lower arms (which comes with complete with bushes and balljoints etc.) The complete LCA from Teknosa is R980 per side and the UCA is R440 per side.

I would lean towards replacing the bushes on the OEM arms but the OEM bushes at Toyota are out of my budget at around R680 per bush.

What are your thoughts on replacing the arms with the Teknosa items? Has anyone had any experience with these?

Help will be appreciated.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Toyota Fortuner LCA replacement

Post by JohanM »

Ziyaad,

I will not recommend Poly bushing on your Fortuner suspension. The guys in Australia says it makes the ride very harsh. Also Poly tends to wear the metal also faster and they flex less due to being much stiffer.

I would go for OE as expensive as they are. I dont know anything about Teknosa but funny names and suspension that includes ball joints is a no go for me.

Google ball joint failure Toyota suv's

It is not funny when they go and you can and possible will write your car off. Ball joints are a hard working component on the vehicle and even some Quality japan after market parts have failed badly in Australia which is very similar conditions to ours.

Rather save up and start by doing the bottom first then the uppers later as the wear on the upper bushes are lower rate then bottom.
Johan Marais

Return to “The Workshop”