Maximum towing capacity for the 4Y Hilux Raider

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Maximum towing capacity for the 4Y Hilux Raider

Post by Stallion »

Good morning to you all.

Hope all well at your ends by the grace of the Almighty.

I refer to the above subject.

What would be the maximum towing capacity in tonage for the Hilux 4Y engine? Both in Tarmac and off road.

I have a friend's DAF Euro 3 Horse itself without the trailer, that needs towing from one yard to the other. This is full tarmac, and is approximately a distance of 6 to 7 kms.

Would it be wise to Tow with the Stallion?

Your assistance will highly be appreciated.

N.B. The truck is 7 tons.

Regards
Shermohamed
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Maximum towing capacity for the 4Y Hilux Raider

Post by Tim86 »

Hiluxes have been known to launch ships so it'll be fine.

Low ratio first gear with front hubs unlocked (2wd).
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

The maximum towing capacity for the Hilux SFA models 22R & 4Y and diesel models are rated at 1400kg.

Trying to move 7 tons can be done, but be very careful with low range and hubs unlocked. You can damage the hubs or drivetrain. Also the transfer case is strong, but I would not do it if it was my own vehicle. You might damage something now and only later discover the damages.

That said, if the road is fairly level and the truck is easy to get going, it should be doable for a very short distance. Just bear in mind that in low range you will have a lot more torque so go very gentle on the gas pedal and stay in the lower gears, don't rush it.

I would first try getting it to move with first gear high range, if it is on a level solid surface. The Hilux do have a relative short and strong first gear. If its to much Low range is a good idea to ease the strain, but I would be very gentle with that load on the vehicle's drivetrain.
Johan Marais
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Thank you Tim and Johan,

If I got you correctly, you meant to engage the transfer case but with the front hub locks on the free position?

If that's correct, it wouldn't damage the transfer case?

After Johan's response, I'm feeling reluctant to do this.

The terrain has one up hill, short, around 2 meters, but quite steep, and the rest is slight ups and downs, but on tarmac.

Regards
Shermohamed
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Personally I wouldn't do it.

Your tow ball, tow bar and chassis rails are not built for such massive loads and something is almost certain to fail. Besides that and the strain with possible damage to your vehicle's drive-train, there is also the safety aspect to consider. The horse needs to have to motor running to have any worth while brakes and so there is a hazard with every downhill you encounter. Even if you use a solid towing arm, you will have very little brake control over that 7 tons pushing you along.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Thanks Mud Dog,

The truck cannot be started as the engine is to be overhauled, therefore the truck won't have any brakes on her at all.

Guess I better ask my friend to get a breakdown truck to Tow her.

Thanks guys.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good idea.

Just as a matter of further interest, I have torn chassis rails and almost sheared the mounting bolts in the past just towing another average size truck because the driver of the towed vehicle was inexperienced and allowed slack in the tow rope which then jerked as the slack was again taken up. The tow bar / back bumper is actually not mounted to the actual chassis rail, but mounted to extension legs of the chassis. Those extensions are of a lesser strength that the actual chassis material.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Not only can you cause damage, but it is also illegal to tow anything more than half your vehicle weight, If it is NOT braked.
If it were braked, it should still not be heavier than the towing vehicle...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Thank you guys, your responses are really of assistance and I sincerely appreciate them.

I got my friend to get another breakdown truck that towed the DAF to the other yard.

Good to know about all this.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Regards
Shermohamed

Return to “The Workshop”