engine slow to crank

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

engine slow to crank

Post by Mikie »

I need a little advice and possibly a point in the right direction

My 2006 3.0d4d has developed a slow engine turn when starting, I recently had the clutch replaced so not sure if it might be related to something there
I had the 2 year old battery tested and its fine, my mechanic has advised that my injectors need replacing, could bad injectors cause a slow turn of the engine on starting?

The only thing that makes sense to me is the cables connected to the starter being properly secured to the starter or the starter itself on its way out
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: engine slow to crank

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds more like a voltage drop to the starter. They would have removed it to do the clutch so that's the first place I would look. Make sure the bolts are tight and that it's properly grounded and check the connections at the back of the starter. Also check the battery terminals are making good contact and that the positive cable connection for the starter at the battery is good. Same with the negative cable connections to earth and to the block, the latter often develops a bad connection at the block.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Thanks Andy

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I did notice that the starter has some old oil caked all over it, obviously from spillage when the oil filter, just above it is replaced.
Possibly a bad connection down there. Guess what I am doing this weekend
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't leave it too long ... a voltage drop to the starter puts a massive load on the armature and field coil ... can actually burn them out. That is of course if it is a voltage drop, but it sounds like it to me.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am Don't leave it too long ... a voltage drop to the starter puts a massive load on the armature and field coil ... can actually burn them out. That is of course if it is a voltage drop, but it sounds like it to me.
Oh Geez thanks for the warning
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A poor connection will cause that area to heat up. Often you will see a discolouration of the cable insulation or even the connector lug, that is if it's been a problem for some time. It might help you to locate the bad connection/s. You could also go feel the cables immediately after a crank to see if you pick up any hot spots .... best to do it when the engine bay is cold.

Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Once again, thanks Andy

It points to that, especially after the clutch was redone
If the starter has to be pulled off for that, I have no doubt its a bad connection
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Starter has to come off for the clutch job. It could well be that it wasn't properly reconnected, but don't rule out all the other possible connection areas I pointed out.

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Start with checking the earth from battery to engine. Maybe they forgot to put it back or dit nou round it properly.
Easy wy to test is take a jumper cable, connect one end on the negative of battery and other end on any metal part on the engine where it will make good contact.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Great tips, thanks guys
Another thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes it starts perfectly, still pointing to a bad connection somewhere

Return to “The Workshop”