Hi Lux V6 Auto How to select neural without battery power.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jan Holtzhuizen
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Hi Lux 4.0 DC

Hi Lux V6 Auto How to select neural without battery power.

Post by Jan Holtzhuizen »

I have parked my 2007 Hi Lux V6 auto in a very tight spot for storage. Selected neutral, disconnected the battery and pushed the car by hand right up against a wall with its bonnet below a low shelf. I selected Park and removed the ignition key. I immediately then realized that I am not able to get the selector out of park, into neutral, in order to push the car back before connecting the battery again.
Can someone please offer advice. Regards. Jan - new to your forum.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hi Lux V6 Auto How to select neural without battery power.

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Jan! :thumbup:

One of three possible options that I can think of (whichever may be the easiest for you). Starting with the two more difficult ones, either remove the shelf so that you can open the bonnet - or - disconnect the drive-shaft at the diff so that you can push the vehicle back (IMPORTANT - mark the position of the slip joint before you disconnect so that if it comes apart at the slip joint, you reconnect in exactly the same rotational position again to ensure that that the universals are back in phase).

The easiest would be to get a jumper battery and connect the black jumper cable (-) to the body / engine block and the red (+) cable to the terminal on the starter solenoid that has the thick red cable (be careful not to touch the body or the other terminal .... it would be better to connect this one first). You can even start the vehicle like this but in your case I wouldn't because the motor will probably die the moment you disconnected and moving it with the jumper still connected is taking a serious risk ... if the (+) cable comes off the starter while moving it or with the vibration of a running motor and it falls onto anything it can arc and be a fire risk ... everything around it will be earthed (-).

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jan Holtzhuizen

Thanks Andy for your input.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Let us know what you did. Like I said the easiest would be to get underneath and connect a jumper battery so that you can take it out of park.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BushMad
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: '01 Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC130

Post by BushMad »

Morning Jan,

All autos should have a shift lock release (to allow you to shift the 'box out of park in exactly this type of scenario), some hidden better than others! Toyota tends to put it above and to the right of the shifter.

I'm not familiar with your specific 'box but it should be a visible button in the top right corner that you hold to release the shift lock and allow you to put it in neutral.

Hope you come right!
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: HILLCREST
Vehicle: 12 4.0 V6 4x4.

Post by ROOKIE »

BushMad wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am Morning Jan,

All autos should have a shift lock release (to allow you to shift the 'box out of park in exactly this type of scenario), some hidden better than others! Toyota tends to put it above and to the right of the shifter.

Hope you come right!
As above, the shift release looks like that attached, press the little button in and while holding the button in move the gear lever. I have circled the little button that needs to be pressed.

NOTE: this is a pic from the internet. I don't have those hideous floor coverings in my truck!
Attachments
Hilux shift release (Medium).jpg
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Jan Holtzhuizen

Thank you guys. I will only get to the car in a while but I thought that I may jack up the rear axle to be in a position to pull it back to reach the battery. My gear shifter does have a small "gear lock" button top left side of the leaver, which I have not ever used. On a previous occasion I did the same thing and somehow got it out of park. That is why I did it again but could not immediately find a way to release the shifter. I will certainly follow the advise to hold that button down whilst shiting out of park. Thanks again. Will report back when next I go to collect the car.
Kalahari Harry
Town: Hillcrest
Vehicle: Hilux V6
Club VHF Licence: n/a

Post by Kalahari Harry »

Look for shift lock button, all (or rather all automatics) have it

Return to “The Workshop”