22R Misfire

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

22R Misfire

Post by raider »

Good day Gents,

My 1996 SFA 2.4 started to idle very ruff and its over fueling. It drives fine but at idle it sounds like its cammed and wants to switch off, you can also smell the fuel.

It only has 114 000km and i hardly use it but i done my regular minor service (filters, oil) and after about a week of use it stared to misfire. Is there any serviceable item on the ignition side? All my plugs are burning plug which could be a weak spark issue?

You comments will be appreciated.

Kind Regards
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: 22R Misfire

Post by pietpetoors »

Sometimes when it over fueled or flooded plugs will get wet and it is better to replace them. But you then still need to find the reason for over fueling.
If you do not use it often it might be a needle and seat that is not sealing properly. For that you will have to open the carb.

Or maybe first thing to check, when it is hot, at opperating temp, remove the air cleaner pipe from the carb and check to see if your choke is open. It should be open even if the engine is switched off. If it is closed it will also cause over fueling. It should be electric choke, so check wiring.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”