94 SFA Rear Wheelbearing replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Smi01466
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 94 Hilux 2.4 4x4

94 SFA Rear Wheelbearing replacement

Post by Smi01466 »

Good day. Can someone please give advise. 94 Hilux(local diff) rear wheel bearing replacement. I got the drive shaft out but cannot get the drum backing plate off to replace the outer part of the bearing. I have removed the 4 nuts at the back of the drum backing plate. hit it pulled it sledgehammered it but nothing seems to help. I dont want to do the welding/grinding trick. Any other ideas?. Thanks
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Re: 94 SFA Rear Wheelbearing replacement

Post by dax021 »

I went through the same exercise some time ago. All matter of hammering had no effect. Eventually made up the puller in the photo and it came off easily.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

I see no photo went through. Let me try again. If this doesn't work, I give up
Smi01466

Post by Smi01466 »

Thanks Peter. Still no photo. I did saw a DIY puller on the forum with 50mm pipe to remove the inner part of the bearing. I actually build this one but had no success to remove. Had to take it in anyway to press it out. I used this same tool as sledge hammer to remove the backing plate on the vechile, but not sure if it is removable. The manual is not clear. I think thats for imported diff. Thanks anyway
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Post a pic of your problem.
You shouldn't have to take the backing plate off to replace the bearing on the local diff - I did mine the other day.
Smi01466

Post by Smi01466 »

Hi Tim. Cant get the photo loaded. How do i replace the outer ring then? According to me there is no grip to use some sort of a puller
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

If you mean the outer race, the perimeter portion of the bearing that the needles run on - it is pressed into the end of the axle housing, and you will need a bearing race puller which will have three prongs with hooks on the end, inserted into the race and grip onto the small lip proud of the axle housing inner face, or something of the sort. Mine came out by hand so have not had to use such a tool. Send the pics to 07two 7nine7 87nine3

Return to “The Workshop”