Toyota Hilux quote Worrying

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Renierdw
Town: Groblersdal
Vehicle: Toyota 2.5 SRX D4D S/C

Toyota Hilux quote Worrying

Post by Renierdw »

I bought a 2014 Toyota Hilux 2.5 SRX D4D single cab for my business with 213 000km on the clock. It has a full service record with Toyota. A week ago when driving, the vehicle started smoking (white smoke) and lost power the bakkie started and ran but it had no power and it was smoking a lot. I took it to an RMI registered motor engineering shop in town. The day we took it to the engineering shop, as we took it off the truck one of the mechanics came to help us. I explained to him what has happened and he took a look at the motor and said the turbo is reconditioned and resprayed and the turbo is leaking oil and one of the pistons was burned a hole in and lots of comments. The turbo wasn’t resprayed it is a new turbo and it is chromed and not sprayed and there wasn’t any oil in the intake pipes. And at that stage I had to load the bakkie back on the truck but no I left it there for a strip and quote. Now they send me the following report.
After inspection of this engine, we found that the injectors were over fueling and cause fuel dilution. Diesel was detected in the oil and that cause the white smoke.

Our suggestion:

We suggest replacing the piston rings, big end bearings and injectors. The cylinder head needs reconditioning and the block must be honed. Due to the diesel in the oil system, the turbo must be replaced.

See our complete quotation on these suggestions
With the limited knowledge I have this doesn’t sound right. They indicated that the quote will be in excess of R 80 000.00. This is more that half the value of the bakkie. And the comments of the mechanic it seems that they basically looking for stuff to make money. Something doesn’t seem right to me.
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Re: Toyota Hilux quote Worrying

Post by dd6 »

This seems a bit extreme. I wonder what their sequence of diagnostics where. I'm not an expert but why not start with new injectors and clean oil? Did they find the compression low? Then the new rings would make sense. The turbo can surely be repaired and not replaced? Just my opinion.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Toyota Hilux quote Worrying

Post by Thabogrobler »

Klink wyd.

Hoe lank gelede het jy die bakkie gekoop? Binne die eerste 6 maande moet die handelaar Pa staan vir enige gebreke maar as jy die enjin laat oopmaak het sonder om die verkoopshandelaar.kans te gee om te herstel mag dit maar moeilik gaan.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”