My car still over heating after almost fixing every coolant related issue that

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
27bags
Town: Wonthaggi
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

My car still over heating after almost fixing every coolant related issue that

Post by 27bags »

Gday all I’ve got a 2007 3litre Toyota Hilux. So I’ve had my car for almost a year now and it has given me nothing but problems, first the cvs went fixed them, then water pump corroded, then alternator fried, then the thermostat went while all this happening my car was overheating this is why I’ve found theses problems but after getting it back for 3 weeks I went for a long drive to pick up a canopy for the back and on the way back it started over heating again, not at red was just sitting above half and then went halfway between half and at red. Took it back to my Diesel mechanic and he’s saying it could be a head or the radiator so I’m dropping it to his on Monday to see if it’s the radiator but why I don’t think it’s a head is cause it doesn’t over heat on small normal drives and has only happened on large drives. So basically I’m just seeing if anyone has information and advice on what todo as I’m on my greens and have spent so much money on just trying to fix her to then after but accessories on just getting really annoying now. Also to add in is that my coolant level has be way over the full mark could that be a problem for it’s over heating aswell ?
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: My car still over heating after almost fixing every coolant related issue that

Post by niclemaitre »

If your coolant level is overfull then it points to cracked head gasket allowing exhaust gas to pressurise the system. There's a quick test they can do at any radiator shop to diagnose
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Re: My car still over heating after almost fixing every coolant related issue that

Post by Die$eL »

Hi,

Firstly, although you mention coolant level, are you sure it has coolant in and not water? When last have you flushed the cooling system?

Please tell me you not one of those guys who fitted a big led bar/fogs blocking the airflow to the radiator?
Has the radiator been cleaned? The outside. Any debris/grass stuck in the fins?

It could be to do with headgasket but try to eliminate everything else before opening the motor.

You can get the cooling system pressure tested. Silverton radiators or the likes.
Real drivers use three pedals
27bags

Post by 27bags »

niclemaitre wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:09 am If your coolant level is overfull then it points to cracked head gasket allowing exhaust gas to pressurise the system. There's a quick test they can do at any radiator shop to diagnose
[the coolant level was raised cause I added water to it the heads have been put under press Twice thru the radiator and nothing has come back suspense ]
27bags

Post by 27bags »

Die$eL wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:12 am Hi,

Firstly, although you mention coolant level, are you sure it has coolant in and not water? When last have you flushed the cooling system?

Please tell me you not one of those guys who fitted a big led bar/fogs blocking the airflow to the radiator?
Has the radiator been cleaned? The outside. Any debris/grass stuck in the fins?

It could be to do with headgasket but try to eliminate everything else before opening the motor.

You can get the cooling system pressure tested. Silverton radiators or the likes.
[the car was only serviced the other week so it had new coolant in it cause had to replace the water pump but originally when I brought it it was water in it the radiator is to be replaced cause it it quite corrodes on the bottom tank ther isn’t any seen derby on the radiator but some parts are warmer then others so maybe the coils are blocked but yea you are right eliminate everything before opening the motor, thank you mate appreciate it

Return to “The Workshop”