Improving articulation?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Limey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Improving articulation?

Post by Limey »

Geez, I feel like a post whore!!! Does anyone have any tips and ideas on improving the articulation in my Hilux. Its a 1982 Lux... leaf spring up front and in the rear.

I'm looking for cheap ideas, so any will be helpful!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Improving articulation?

Post by BenHur »

Start of by making yourself a longer set of shackles at the rear. Make it with more then one set of holes so that you can move it up and down a bit till you get it the way you like it. Remember that your shock will at one stage limit downward travel so a longer travel shock might be needed.

Once you are happy with the rear you can look at something similar up front. The only other thing that you need to look at there is that the angle on the universal joint not become too big.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Bennie will that change the ride hight at the back too?
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Jip and with the increase in height comes an increase in upward travel before the suspension travel is limited by bump stops.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Cool I hope so coz my van is a little low at the back even though the springs are fine
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Limey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Limey »

Bennie, the shackles on my truck have already been done - it just seems that the springs arent very supple - they arent soft enough.... note that these are leaf springs...

What else is there to do?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Then you need to look at the blades itself. post a few pictures of them so we can see and maybe some of the okes here can supply advice
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

How's this for articulation :shock:
promo%20flex2.jpg
Outerlimits%20wild%20weekend%2005.jpg
See the story at: http://downunder4x4.net/dgr.html
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes that truck does have a little articulation, however it is a specialized vehicle, the guy most probely puts it on a trailer to the venue where he uses it, when a person wants more articulation on their vehicle, there are always the pros and the cons to consider and thus you will have to make some decision's what is best for your application, on the one side you might want more articulation, but to do this you will have to remove some of the blades from the spring packs, try looking it this way, have you ever tried bending a piece of steel that is the same thickness as the spring pack.

Thus if there are less blades this will mean that the spring can bend more, however a negative point here to remember is that you will not be able to load your vehicle as much when you remove blades.

Have you asked yourself why do I want more articulation on my vehicle?

There are also other ways to make a vehicle perform better that you can consider as well.
Will you be using this vehicle a lot for tar driving?

Do a body lift make up some nylon spaces, drill some 10 or 12mm holes through them, use the existing rubber body spaces as well and then add these 45mm extra spaces, but to fit these spaces there are a few other mods you have to do as well.

Thus once you have done a body lift, fit some bigger tyres and some 8 J rims, you will then see a vast difference in the performance of your vehicle, you will have more ground clearence under the diff pumpkins.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”