Brake shoes for new shape hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Brake shoes for new shape hilux

Post by lukestrugnell »

Does anyone know how much these should cost.
The stealer wants to charge me R1000 including fitment, sounds a bit much but maybe im just used to sfa prices?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: break shoes for new shape hilux

Post by BenHur »

Luke

Do not know exactly how much the pads would cost my Pajero is about R600 for Ferrodo Ceramic's, but fitment is as simple as removing the wheel taking out one or two clips and pins and pushing back the brake cylinder and replacing the pads. Should not take you longer than 10 minutes per side including wheel removal time.
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: '10 Pajero Sport

Post by Rampie »

lukestrugnell wrote:Does anyone know how much these should cost.
After doing Berakah on Sunday Ramkat had virtually no brakes left. Interesting riding the last part of the trail in limp mode...

Anyway the total cost for replacement, included over R900 worth of labour, skimming discs and drums, and new pads front and rear was R3 000.

I just pitched there on Monday without appointment and they helped me out, the workshop even stayed open till 6h45pm to get it done and washed.

For service like that I kept my mouth shut, smiled and paid up. Thank you Toyota Klerksdorp!
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Rampie wrote:
lukestrugnell wrote:Does anyone know how much these should cost.
After doing Berakah on Sunday Ramkat had virtually no brakes left. Interesting riding the last part of the trail in limp mode...

Anyway the total cost for replacement, included over R900 worth of labour, skimming discs and drums, and new pads front and rear was R3 000.

I just pitched there on Monday without appointment and they helped me out, the workshop even stayed open till 6h45pm to get it done and washed.

For service like that I kept my mouth shut, smiled and paid up. Thank you Toyota Klerksdorp!
Pleks loop koop jy die pads, vat die bakkie vir Anker brake & clutch, en jy kon so R2000 gespaar het. :D:
ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I just got some new shoes for my LUX.
They were R99.95 on special!
And fitting them is childs play.
They

look

this

↓ ↓

SHOES.JPG
:D :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ou Bloues
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 Auto

Post by Ou Bloues »

Because the Powerdisk and the Toy parts cost the same, I went and replace all with the powerdisk product. It could be that my previous set was very bad, but the power disk do have better braking distance and cleans better in 4x4 conditions, and the :claimed to last 30% longer with 30% better braking power, they take all your details when putting it on, to see if this in fact is true when you have to replace again.
If you don't believe in yourself, how can someone ells ?
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Re: Brake shoes for new shape hilux

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

I know on my old corrolla, 2004, the brake pads were more expensive, and they just warned that they are a special make. They sais not as hard as old shoes, so if you put in cheap brand, harder that will cause the disc etc to wear faster.

Don't know if this is true or not. :think:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't know if this is true or not
A bit of a juggling act I think. Harder pads = quicker wear on discs but slower on pads, softer pads = slower wear on discs but quicker on pads. Same would apply to shoes / drums. Personally I would opt for a softer pad / shoe because it usually = better braking power and it's cheaper to replace shoes / pads as opposed to drums / discs on most vehicles. There are of course exceptions, particularly if the pad / shoe makes use of a wear sensor.

M2CW
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: '10 Pajero Sport

Post by Rampie »

ToyX4 wrote:
Pleks loop koop jy die pads, vat die bakkie vir Anker brake & clutch, en jy kon so R2000 gespaar het. :D:
Hi Riaan
Dis so, maar ek dog die hele remstelsel het daar in die moddergat agter gebly toe die manne my moes uit snatch. ""Moewiese toeval"" dat voor en agter skoene gelyk kan opraak sodat die trok amper niks remme oor het nie..... maar ek se niks.
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

Just an update:

went to HiQ orange grove and shoes were R350 including fitment.
Decided to skim the drums too as there was a small lip, that was R350 so in total R700 which I reckon was good, as opposed to the stealers R1000 just for shoes!
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

:thumbup: As long as you fited brand name shoes, which I belive Hi-Q should do.
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)

Return to “The Workshop”