Fuse blowing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Fuse blowing

Post by Dawid »

I recently travelled on a corrugated road at higher speed than usual. It was very bumpy and I then noticed that the whole instrument cluster, except for the mechanical speedo, was dead. The rev counter, heat guage, indicators, oil light, coil light stopped working. The head lights still worked, as well as the hazards. I also noticed that the battery was not charging when tested with a multimeter. The engine still starts and runs fine, although it swings a bit longer before starting (glowplugs maybe not working either).

I found a blown fuse inside the cab. It was a 20A fuse but I later discovered it should be a 15A fuse. The fuse holder cover called it the "engine fuse". After replacing the fuse, all was fine until 3 days later when it popped again. I inspected the wiring, and tidied up some which looked suspect. So far, a week later, it hasn't done it again. Any idea where to start looking for damaged wires etc? :crazy:
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Fuse blowing

Post by Mr_B »

Dawid,

It sounds like you may have already solved the issue... just have to charging system tested at a battery centre for peace of mind! The alternator voltage regulator(with brushed attached) may need replacing possibly... a battery test centre will be able to tell u that... Suspect wiring can cause all sorts of unwanted problems when you really don't need them... so check out the wiring carefully, look for any unsoldered, dry and uninsulated joints... remove any chocolate block connectors... the right way to do an electrical joint is... strip the 2(or more) wires back to where to inner wire is clean(not oxidised, if it remains oxidised, replace the entire wire)... slide an appropriate size/width piece of heat shrink over one side of the wire to be joined... solder the wires to be connected 100% neatly... check the connection is 100% with a multimeter... slide the heat shrink over the soldered point and shrink the heat shrink... then if needed insulate with rip sleeve and insulation tape(to seal off the rip sleeve).

B :thumbup:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: :thumbdown: hey, mine is doing the same, I only found the starter motor wire a bit loose. Everthing seemed fine untill i went to bass lake and on the hill it blew the fuse again. I have checked all the wires, repalced all the fuses, i kept the old ones as spares, and check all the bilbs to see if one was loose. Dreading having to go to an auto lec as it is going to cost.
If you found the cause let me know. I noticed the rev counter takes a dip if riding on rough road. I have resorted to using a 20amp fuse when offroad, and then change it back to 15a when I drive tar. The 20 amp does not blow.
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dawid »

Mine hasn't done it again. It blew the original 20A fuse twice. I replaced it with a 15A after realising it should not be 20A. Originally I thought I found the problem with the loose positive cable to the starter motor, but it happened once after removing the extra cable. I'm keeping a close eye on it.
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dawid »

So far so good..

I drove the same gravel road the problem started initially on Sunday and the fuse hasn't blown again.

The only wiring repair I did, was to fix a bad joint above the gearbox on the driver side. The wire was naked and only twisted together. I soldered the joint and covered it with heatshrink. Not sure if is maybe the reverse light sensor?

I am still carefull when driving too far at night since the battery stops charging when this fuse pops.
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: Tx, I havn't been offroad since, the wire was it under on the gearbox or in the cab?
John
ImageImage
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dawid »

It's on the gearbox. If you lie down on the ground on the driver side, you will see it. Not saying that was my problem, but it might be.
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: I will have a look, I have already been through the engine bay and all the lights, took the bulbs out again this week end,, and cleaned off dirt, make sure they are not loose. I will check maybe that is the cuplrit.
The previous owner installed the radio himself, so I wnat to check all the wiring for that,this week end.
John
ImageImage
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

After taking out all my blubs and cleaning and making sure they not loose, I went on Saturday to Berakah. The fuse does not blow anymore. The right front indicator bulb was loose when I took it out and had dirt in. I think this was the culprit. :lol:
John
ImageImage
Cubz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1989 D/C EFI 4x4 Botswana spec .

Post by Cubz »

Helooooooooo Almal

Ok the same happened to me on 2 trips ( Rustewinter ) (and some where else)

Look nexto under altinator ,(altenator wire) there is a wire that is held to altenator so that it is not loose in engine bay
it is held with one of those metal clips coverd with silicone ,

Look and you will see the wire and silicone clip is worn out and making a dead short ,

I cover it with electrical tape and cable tie'd it back to place .
mafufunyana
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Vaal Traingle
Vehicle: '95 SFA Hilux DC, 7MGE, 33" bf muds, rear locker, longrange tanks, outback roofracks, arb bullbar, ipf lights, warn winch, old man emu suspension, dual battery, just solar's solar panels

Post by mafufunyana »

Can you guys pease help me???
I've got the same problem with the alternator not charging and rev counter not working, but my alternator,t belt and filter warning lights are on the whole time. I'm not sure what fuse you guys are talking about all my fuses seems to be okay.
What I did find is that the wire that goes to the top of the gearbox was loose I did solder it back on and insulated it. If it is possible can one of you post a pic for where the fuse for the engine is. Thanx

Return to “The Workshop”