Alternator or Starter Motor?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Limey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Alternator or Starter Motor?

Post by Limey »

I have a problem that I cant start my truck. I can bump start, no problems. I turn the key and the starter barely turns, and then nothing. Turn the key again, and click click click - nothing.

Tonight, driving home, my lights just started dimming, getting dimmer and dimmer to the point that they werent there. As well as the dash lights.

Now I'm wondering - is it the alternator not charging the battery or is it the starter motor giving out? Even - is it the battery saying bye bye!? The truck runs fine once I bump start, just dont try turn on any electrics - indicators etc dont work.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Alternator or Starter Motor?

Post by Niel »

Had the same problem on my VW and the Corolla and on both occasions it was the generator (VW) and alternator not charging the battery. Give the battery a good charge with a charger drive it and it goes flat again you know it is the alternator
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Once the engine is running it does not need much to power to keep it running, so a jump start would then be enough to get it going.

What you described here is most definitely the alternator not charging the battery. Have it checked out soonest. In the meanwhile charge the battery as Niel said and avoid driving too far from help and not at night using the head lights.
Limey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Limey »

Where might be the best place in Cape Town to replace? And how much might it cost? I can replace it myself, just need to find a new one...
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Limey

Maybe it is just the brushes that is worn out or the voltage regulator. Take out the alternator take it to the local spare shop and ask them for new brushes and the voltage regulator (which might be a single unit depending on the altenator). It should be a question of two or 3 screws to get it replaced.
Bosvark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 2200 D/C AUS specs

Post by Bosvark »

Did you do any water driving,i had the problem,some water in my starter,took it of and cleaned it,lot of rust build-up.Working vary well now.Water is a pyn in die ...
n vark bly maar n vark
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Limey
I had the same problem and this is how I went about it.

The place to start would be to check the charging output of the alternator. Use a multi-meter and check it at the battery first, it should be charging at around 13.6volts with nothing on. If it is lower than that then you need to check the output at the alternator. Dont just assume it is the alternator. I did and I was wrong. :oops:

In actual fact it was not the alternator but the wiring!!!!!! There was a break in the wiring loom somewhere and all that was needed was a newly run wire from the alternator positive to the battery and presto it works again. :D
If the output at the alternator is too low or non-existent then take it out and replace the voltage regulator. check the brush size and maybe change them too. If needs be then take it to an electrician to change but it is fairly simple to do at home on your bench.

I actually replaced my alternator as well and when enquiring about a new VR and brushes i found that for a few extra bucks I could get a NEW Bosch, which I did and now I have the peace of mind that my alternator is 100%. :mrgreen:

What ever you do, check your EARTHS as well. They have a tendancy to corrode and cause major prolems.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Limey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Limey »

Hi all...
Just for everyone, an update - checked all the wiring, checked earths, voltage etc. Battery was on 11.4, and with the motor running, it didnt go up or down... So checked the alternator and it was toast - after 20 odd years on my old tank I'm pretty sure it would be.

Went off to get a new one, fitted in half an hour, but damn, what a mission to change the pulleys! Thats when I remembered the BMW logic of using a hammer on everything.

So now it works perfectly. The old alternator looks rather rusted on the inside, so I am assuming it was just old age that made it die.

Thanks for the help all.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I had my alternator serviced (new bearings, brushes,regulator and comm skim) for R350-00.

I also had charging issues and only got 12.2.volts at the battery. The alterator was putting out 13.8 volt at the +Alt terminal. The wiring from the alternator to the fuse box then to the battery was the problem. Big volt drop (1.6volt). I stripped the harness, and found really bad factory joints and coneections in the harness. I ran a new 10mm2 cable between the alternator and the fuse box then battery and now have 13.8 volts even under a test load of 45A.

As I did the engine swop, I now have this alternator for sale if anybody wants it. Never used after the service. From 4Y motor.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

And last week, I also had some altinator problems, due to water contamination, the front bearing was stuffed, had a look at the altinator in the engine bay and said, "Stuff this, Monday morning I will take it to my mate Terense and get him to take it out, overhaul it and put it back, he has his own Auto- Electrical business

Cost of complete overhaul R0000000000.

Have been dealing with him for the last 12 years and he is my friend and we help each other all the time.

:|
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Sounds like a bargan :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Niel

Post by Niel »

Good to have friends like that are you willing to give us his number :?: :) :)
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

083 264 1509 if ever you are passing through Queenstown and you experience an electrical problem, give Terense a call, he is the type of person if he does not have the parts, he will make a plan.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks Simon

Return to “The Workshop”