Spotlights on Rollbar?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider

Spotlights on Rollbar?

Post by JaMMeX »

Ok, some might shut me down for this, but here goes:

Since in the early days of the Back to the Future movie, where Michael J Fox get given that black toyota truck from his folks (movie 1) I allways thought 4 Spots on the top rollbar looked radical.

Now I would like to fit 4 spots to my truck, has anyone done this, pro's and con's? etc? How to fit them etc

2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

4x4mods.co.za | Carmods.co.za | Ferroli Performance Centre
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Spotlights on Rollbar?

Post by CasKru »

It is illegal :? but if you put covers on them and can proof that they are wired on a separate switch, they don't seem to mind m2cw.

PS: I feel the same... at least 4 lights on top :D:
To God be the glory
Turbo
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brackenfell Cape Off-road Country
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8

Post by Turbo »

It looks cool,but me think it can get in the way or get damaged when you go bundu-bashing
.Only when we are no longer afraid,do we begin to live
www.capeoffroad.co.za
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

Agreed, it looks super cool but I'm not sure it's worth paying that much just too look cool :shock:
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Spikevz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Toyota Stout Hilux 4X4 1980, Hilux de lux 1974 rw, Corolla

Post by Spikevz »

Can be used on farms and private routes. Got illegal spots on myself. Works great on game viewing!!
Toyota Stout Hilux 4X4 Driver
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

IT is almost a must when driving off road at night.
To God be the glory
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Most of the Sir-e-azz Contenders at the Bridgestone Night Challenge had roof mounted lights.

Sure work lekker and one of them was telling me that:

he did get pulled up at a road block but only had to demonstrate that they were on a separate isolator, they didn't mind that they didn't have lens covers on. :o:

He'd just read the Thread on the 4x4Comms sight so he was struggling with bowel control enol but to no avail he got off scott-free :roll:
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Yeah I'll have them on a seperte switch for sure jut need to work out what the beat way to fit them will be!
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Connect them directly to the battery via a 30A relay that's activated by your switch. Be sure to have good connections throughout and be sure that you have a fantastic earth on the roll bar ... Put a seperate earth strap on if neccesary and don't skimp on the power cable (battery to spots through the relay). It's a long run and you will easily get a voltage drop .... a little overkill is good, and of course connect in parallel. It may also be a good idea to bridge out all the positive connectors (also with decent cable) and tap your supply into the middle (between spots 2 and 3) to spread the supply more evenly.

Tip: your dash switch should have an LED indicator (you can get them built into the toggle itself) so that you can see if they are accidentally activated during the day. Should they be left on in error they can drain a battery very quickly and will burn the covers in no time flat if those are in place. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Post by Engel »

according to law illegal, connected, covered, not connected whatever. You might get away....some dont
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Cool or uncool as Top Ge#r would say.........

Me, it reminds me of Mickey Mouse, and the added wind resistance......

So I am in between....
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

Used to have spots on the rollbar of my Ford Corrier when I wass still doing fieldservice and sometimes I would leave from a site at 18h00 on a three hour trip back home throug rurall KZN wit lots of cattle and game on the roads, so the spots wass there for no other reason than lighting up the road and they saved me a couple of times,still there wass no reasoning with the traffic cops here. They made me take of the spots.I used to keep them covered an only removed the covers at night.
ImageImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:Cool or uncool as Top Ge#r would say.........

Me, it reminds me of Mickey Mouse, and the added wind resistance......

So I am in between....

I share your sentiments Mark :thumbup:

I've put them in the same box as Safari Snorkels; :wth:

"Awfully Pretty"........................ :think:

Pretty O.T.T. :shh: :shh:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Agreed! :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I am also not for the spotlights on the roof trick if they are just for show. All the reasons mentioned below applies, and I do not want to be on the wrong side of a Metro-cop with a chip on his shoulder and who has a point to prove. :shock: :shock:

They do, however, work great when doing night trails. If you are going to use them off road, mount them on a bracket that attaches to your roll bar/roofrack. Also do the wiring so that you have a Hella plug or Brad-Pit plug or whatever plug to supply the power. Once you reached your destination, you can attach your "light-bar" and plug it in and off you go. No mess no fuss... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Hi buds!

Thanks all, yeah it will be for show, but also for when on trips etc. I think im going to ditch this idea for now. I do know the pigz in KZN are full of shit with cars compared to any other city / are in SA. I mean they pull you over for having a bigger set of wheels on your car!

Appreciate your feedback! :D

Bruce'ster

Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Just so that we knock this on the head once and for all....This is what the law says:

National Road Traffic Act, 1996
National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles
Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles
184. Manner in which lamps to be fitted and maintained

1) The head lamps of a motor vehicle shall be fitted –

a) at a height of not less than 450 millimetres and not more than one comma four metres above ground level, measured to the centre of the lamp; and

b) not more than 500 millimetres behind the front-end of the vehicle.

2) The head lamps and fog lamps of a motor vehicle shall, unless the design of the lamps incorporates some other means of preventing a dangerous glare to oncoming traffic, not be fitted with lenses of clear glass or other like material.

I hope this helps
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Just another question I have not been able to get clarity on,

Is it law to have a separate switch for the front spots on your bumper?

Or is it ok to have them connected with your bright's?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Mark, a veteran autolek that fitted mine said that they are normally connected to the brights and that this is in compliance with regulation although there is nothing to stop you from putting them on a seperate switch. The use of brights in an urban or built up area is not permitted in any case, and failure to dip for oncoming traffic is an offense as well, so that's why there is no issue with direct to brights connection.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yip tx MD!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I've never been a spots fan, but done right, like on Manie's lux, they just look awesome!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

Hi to all,
All might be wrong .... "anything" is legal in South Africa.....the cops just want R50.00......!!!! They call it "training subs".....

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Engel wrote:according to law illegal, connected, covered, not connected whatever. You might get away....some dont
It is just because you drive a Datsun that they will stop you, it does look a bit suspect :twisted: :twisted:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Magtig! Bakkies en spotlights, hulle gaan maar net saam... Ek het nog altyd n goeie verskoning gesoek om n 4 mooi reghoekige KC's op my roofrack te sit, maar kon nog nooit n goed genoeg rede kry om dit te doen nie, want so dink ek elke keer as ek voor die versoeking staan.

#1 Die ligte gaan in die pad wees as ek my Kayaks op die dak laai.

#2 Met die klomp dwalende diere op die pad ry ek, as ek dit kan help, nie in die donkerte in ons buurlande nie. En as ek moet dan ry ek in elkgeval teen n spoed wat die standaard ligte voldoende is.

# Sou ek in n konfooi ry saam met vriende kan ek die ligte ook nie regtig gebruik sonder om hulle van agter te verblind nie berhalwe seker as ek voor ry.

Verder het ek n paar Hella Rally 2000 gehad op my vorige voertuig. Die een paar se lense is deur n klip in Namibia stukkend gegooi. Die tweede paar se body het gebreek net bokant die bracket wat aan die nudge bar vas kom. Die goed was seker maar net te groot....
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

African Child wrote: Sou ek in n konfooi ry saam met vriende kan ek die ligte ook nie regtig gebruik sonder om hulle van agter te verblind nie berhalwe seker as ek voor ry.
Konfooi ry is ook blykbaar onwettig, jy kan mos maar voor ry as jy die spots het :twisted: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Glo nie ons bure het daai een al agter gekom nie, hou dit maar stil anders is dit nog een wat Moz se " speedcops " kan gebruik... :shh:
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
Fabian
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 d4d Xtra cab 4x4

Post by Fabian »

Hi. I also thought of fitting 4 spots on the roll bar as it was just the way a 4x4 had to look in the 80s. I am a bit concerned about practicality and wind resistance as I was thinking of getting 4 Bosch Navigator spotlights which are quite big. The law.......mmmmmm ja.... I know its illegal but .......baaie dinge is.....
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Fabian wrote:Hi. I also thought of fitting 4 spots on the roll bar as it was just the way a 4x4 had to look in the 80s. I am a bit concerned about practicality and wind resistance as I was thinking of getting 4 Bosch Navigator spotlights which are quite big. The law.......mmmmmm ja.... I know its illegal but .......baaie dinge is.....
Beside the wind resistance, it's impractical in the bush - unless you have a protective cage, and sometimes it's a hassle to get into your garage. I wouldn't do it. ;-)

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Fabian wrote:Hi. I also thought of fitting 4 spots on the roll bar as it was just the way a 4x4 had to look in the 80s. I am a bit concerned about practicality and wind resistance as I was thinking of getting 4 Bosch Navigator spotlights which are quite big. The law.......mmmmmm ja.... I know its illegal but .......baaie dinge is.....
AFAIK it's legal as long as they are on a seperate switch and have covers on them. In other words, for bush use only
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

CasKru wrote:
AFAIK it's legal as long as they are on a seperate switch and have covers on them. In other words, for bush use only
That is how I understand it as well. ;-)

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Done the same with my previous Lux, but when renewing licence, they said I couldn't because there was an S or X mark placed on my vehicle. Had to put it through the test again for a fair amount of money.

The law clearly states the regulations, and they don't care if it is on a separate switch or covered. Mine was on a old Beetle foot switch on the floorboard. They simply mark your vehicle. Last mentioned is done by those people sitting next to the road on cheap camping chairs with their clipboards. They visually inspect vehicles driving past, and simply take down your plates to be reported.
Attachments
Hilux 1.jpg
Hilux 1.jpg (70.5 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Man maar daai bakkie in die prentjie lyk netjies
To God be the glory
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Thanks Cassie,

Net jammer die V6 conversion het my baie kopseer gegee. Dis toe hoekom ek hom laat gaan het.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Would spotlights on the roll bar burn the paint on the roof? I have 4 large Bosch navigators. My plan is to mount them on the roll bar and use them when I'm out of town.
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Baaie mooi bakkie. ...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Fabian wrote:Would spotlights on the roll bar burn the paint on the roof? I have 4 large Bosch navigators. My plan is to mount them on the roll bar and use them when I'm out of town.
No, not unless they are in very close proximity and focussed onto the paint, like if the spot were to be loose and flop forward. Even then a cold air-flow will alleviate the heat build-up.

Fabian

Post by Fabian »

I am also contemplating on how to mount them with an extra bar mounted onto the roll bar but I dont want to spoil the looks of the roll bar so I will probably drill straight into the roll bar and have somesaddle washers manufactured. I prefer the clean kook of the lights straight onto the roll bar
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You do know that it is illegal on public roads in terms of the road traffic ordinance? If they are removable and are removed on public roads then you won't have a problem. Might look cool but impractical if you negotiate wooded trails - they snag.

If you really want to do it, drilling into the roll bar weakens it and there are other ways. A simple solution would be to get two U-clamps ( like used on exhaust pipes) and a piece of angle iron of a size to fit however many spots it is that you want, drill two holes (think it'll be 8mm) to accept the bolt end of the u-clamp. fit the clamps upside down to the roll bar at the spacing needed to line up with the holes in the angle iron - the angle iron can then be bolted to the clamps with a couple of extra nuts (It's then also easy enough to remove.) Fit the spots to the angle iron. Might look better if the angle iron is fitted with the vertical face pointing down.

Return to “The Workshop”