Diff lock on IFS is this possable????

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 3 d4d Fortuner

Diff lock on IFS is this possable????

Post by Mr H »

Hi all
I have heard people talk about diff locks on IFS 4x4's. Has anyone got a photo of how it looks like and works? :?: If I'm correct ain't the front CV joints? :?
In the new SA 4X4 magazine they spoke about this front diff lock, is there such a thing or am I losing it? :oops:

H
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Diff lock on IFS is this possable????

Post by BenHur »

The fact that it is not not solid beam axle does not exclude it from being possible to use a difflock on. I have a difflock in my Pajero in the rear and it is also an independent axle with CV joints.

But I am not sure what options you have for buying a locker :(
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

It is not the suspension that allows a diff lock. If a vehicle is 4x4 there will be a diff in the front and should you have a diff lock option in front it will lock the diff spiral gears. It doen not matter if it is a SFA or IFS.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Ask Okkie
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=267
I am sure he will know.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mr H »

Ok

What would diff locks for CV joints go for?
H
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I think you are confused. The diff-lock is a device installed inside the pumpkin of your diff. If you look at your rear axle you will see there is that round thing with the two pipes extending to the wheels. Now inside that round thing is your diff or differential. The diff is the device that will compensate for the different speeds your wheels turn when going around a corner. If you go round a corner your inner wheel will turn slower than your outer wheel. The diff must compensate for that otherwise you will have a hard time turning.

If you crawl underneath your vehicle you will not that your front diff have the same pumpkin thing as the rear one. Weather you have an IFS or SFA hilux it does not matter, the pumpkin will still be there. The only difference is that with the SFA two solid pipes will extend from the pumpkin to your wheels. With the IFS it will only have a short piece of pipe and then the side shafts extend to the wheels. At the wheels you have a CV joint which is a constant velocity joint which enables the shaft to turn at an angle and still maintain a constant volicity.

So, the diff lock is inside the diff itself. Whether it is a IFS or not the diff lock sits inside the diff and have nothing to do with the CV joints.

The diff lock locks the diff so that the axle actually becomes a solid axle "without a diff". This will prevent one wheel from spinning while the other one stands still due to the differential action. This locks the diff so that both wheels receive the same amount of power.

The only reason why you might not get a diff lock for the IFS is because perhaps they did not manufacture one for that specific diff. But I am sure there will be one available. The story I heard is that the cheaper one is not available for the IFS Hilux but the more expensive models are available.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Okay lets try and see if we can solve this issue

Firstly As Pieter mentioned the diff lock goes inside the diff itself. Whether it is a IFS or not, the diff lock sits inside the diff and have nothing to do with the CV joints although it locks the shafts together it is done inside the diff centre or the pumpkin of the diff

The CV joints are locked to the wheel with the free wheel hub locks and runs free when not locked “That’s when you lock the wheels for driving in 4X4 The CV joints are permanently connected to the diff on the inner side and are driven trough the diff by the prop shaft when 4X4 is selected

When a diff lock is fitted to a diff , in the case of the IFS it will be a ARB the internal parts of the diff are locked inside the diff centre and the left and right hand shaft is locked to become one shaft . This is also called a selectable locker as it can be selected on the driver’s request. This locker needs air to be engaged and disengaged and a compressor is there for also installed

The cost for a ARB diff locker installed with a compressor as this is not a job for the DIY man is quite pricy at +- R13 500 at LA-Sport and sadly as Pieter also mentioned there is no les costly option for the IFS
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Here is some nice info to help you understand diffs and diff locks better

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mr H »

Hi confused :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe I asked the question wrongly. :oops:
In the new SA 4X4 Off road adventure mag, every month one reader can place there profile, vehicle specs and future modifications in the mag. This guy I'm talking about has a 4x4 '90 Isuzu 280 DT aka HULK( looks very nice by the way) but wants to put in a front diff-lock. :?
Now I have seen the 280dt's they don't have a solid diff in front, just CV's, so how can he install a front diff-lock. :? (A diff-lock locks the wheels so that they turn at the same speed am I right?) :?
Only solid-diffs can be installed with a diff-lock am I right? :? I've read that the Gelanderwagens can lock all 4 wheels so that they all rotate at the same time/speed what-ever. :D My vehicle is a Toy Hilux IFS 4x4 with a diff-lock can I install a front diff-lock? :idea:

In the NEW SOUTH AFRICA: Quote:They pull you down to there level and beat you with experience. :wink:
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Mr H

Maybe you are not reading the posts above to help with the confusion. As Piet petoors explained the front and rear diff is having that center part where the driving shaft is connected. This you will find on SFA and IFS diffs. So yes you can fit a diff lock to a IFS. Forget the fact about the CV joints it has nothing to do with the diff itself. Yes the diff locker locks the spiral gears inside the diff and both wheels will be turning the same speed and direction and yes there are some vehicles that do have front and rear diff locks as well a center transfer case lock. This will able the vehicle that the all 4 wheels turn the same speed and direction.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

ARB or Lockrites/ezy/ are available for 7.5" front IFS diffs.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

If you are still confused as to why CVs does not have anything to do with diff locks reads this article I wrote. If you then still do not understand, I give up :wink: :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=953

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mr H »

I see the light :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanx I was staring blind at the CV joint factor thinking like ass!!
To all the reply s :oops: benhur, Riceburne, Knersus, Okkie Van Wyk ,pietpetoors , thanx for baring with me. If I ever meet you guys in person I'll stick you for a "stiff dop"!!

Mr H
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

So Mr H
Now that we'r friends tel us where u are from so we can take u up on that dop ........................HEHEHAHAHA

Hope u are sorted out now and if u need to ........just ask ,if we can we will hellp
123 WEG MP
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mr H »

Thanx Okkie

PRETORIA :twisted: and it will always be Pretoria, to specific Wonderboom South.
When in P-town just say the magic word stiff-dop I'm true to my word! :wink:
By the looks/sound of it few people have diff-locks for IFS, to expensive? :cry: Well after you mentioned R13.500 I lost interest. :cry:

H :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Mr H
Ek sal veel eerder geld spandeer op n winch as die diff lock voor ,Jou bakkie het mos n diff-lock agter en die winch is goedkoper en kan vir baie dinge gebruik word. Sal net diff-lock in sit as ek nou regtig in 4X4 kompetiesies wil deelneem maar vir aledaagse gebruik is dit wat my bakkie het meer as genoeg .

Groetnis my volk
Okkie
123 WEG MP
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED

Return to “The Workshop”