Diff oil change

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
daniemj
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Merc 270 ML (W163)

Diff oil change

Post by daniemj »

Hallo everyone

I am about to change my front and back diff oil (GL5). My front diff is making a noice when I go down a steep slope (engine braking), so I suppose there might be some damage, most likeley due to moisture. :think:

I want to drain both diffs and replace it with new oil. Any DIY pointers on this subject? :?: For starters, anyway of getting the oil in from that side hole out of a 5L container? Do I need to drive a bit so that the diffs are at temparature so that the oil drain out better? Do I need to buy new gaskets or seals for the diffs?
I also bought an additive to add into my front diff. The bakkie has got 267 000km on the clock. (86 SFA with import axles)

Previously when my bakkie was with the mechanic for the brake problem I asked him to lift the breather pipes, but afterwards he mentioned that the diff oils was clean and that it is not needed.

Thanks again for all the good info :mrgreen:
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 1990 SFA Hilux

Re: Diff oil change

Post by Asterix »

Hallo Danie,

I changed my gearbox and diff oil a month ago. The procedure I followed was to decant the 5L into a 500ml gear oil bottle with the long nozzle. It's a relatively small job that turned into a HUGE job with this procedure. I had to get in and out from under the Lux about 20 times to decant! A Hilux is a truck - it takes a lot of oil! :|

Last week I changed the pinion seal of my front diff - so I had to refill the diff with oil again, but this time I made a plan. :idea:
I took a piece of pipe that fits into the filling hole, route it through the engine bay to the top. Modified a 2L coke bottle's top into a funnel and fit it to the pipe with some tape.
What a pleasure to fill with this method. Just watch out that the pipe does not get out of the filling hole while filling and also not to overfill! This method can get very messy if not maneged properly :crazy:

You need to replace the washers at the filling and drain plugs. Get it at Midas - it's made out of copper, aluminium or fibre and cheap. If you don't replace them - you may risk of having an oil leak.

Hope it helps!
daniemj
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by daniemj »

Hallo Asterix

Thank you, your advise surely helps a lot. I will do proper planning and get all the sytems in place before I start.

Al die raad kom altyd handig te pas.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Hi Asterix, what you failed to mention is that it takes ages to fill the diffs this way. Maybe it's just me, but the oil is so thick it just dribbled down the tube. Took 90 minutes per diff to fill. Could be the cold weather we're having. I used a 10 mm diam tube, next time will try a slightly fatter one
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Asterix »

Hi Asterix, what you failed to mention is that it takes ages to fill the diffs this way. Maybe it's just me, but the oil is so thick it just dribbled down the tube. Took 90 minutes per diff to fill. Could be the cold weather we're having. I used a 10 mm diam tube, next time will try a slightly fatter one
Hallo Peter,
Yes, I did not mention the pipe size. The pipe I used was about the size of the thinner type hosehold hosepipes that just fit snuggly into the the filling hole of the diff. Mine took between 5 to 10 minutes to fill.

Did you check if your diff breather isn't blocked? 90 minutes to fill a diff is like watching paint dry!!!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Good point about the breather, and no, I didn't check it. I figured the tube diam was smaller than the filler hole so air could escape through this same hole. I fugure it must be the cold weather as that 85W140 had the viscosity of honey kept in fridge, it trickled in. Your method is good though, it was a lot easier than filling with 500ml bottles. Luckily I had other stuff to do while I waited. Today will change the transmission oils. Should go a lot quicker as it is a much thinner oil.
daniemj
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by daniemj »

Hi Aterix, thanks for the advise. I have changes my diff oil and your plan worked like a dream! :thumbup:
Don't know what my mechanic did the last 30000km, but the front diff oil was black and dirty. :thumbdown: Looks like only the rear diff oil was checked and replaced.

Now I am thinking of checking the transfer case oil condition and level..
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Asterix »

Mooi!

Ek is bly ek kon help, Danie :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”