Be aware when you use or work with Silicone Sealer

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Be aware when you use or work with Silicone Sealer

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Be aware Silicone sealer can cause problems if used incorrectly

Yes if you look at the photo carefully, the two lubrication holes were partly blocked off due to too excessive amount of silicone that was used when this section of the transfer case was mated together with the other section, we did not do this job, it was done by a person in JHB, thus because the silicone partly blocked off the lubrication holes, not sufficient oil was getting through to lubricate the rear main roller bearing at the rear of the transfer case, thus bearing failure accured, we had to remove the rear propshaft, rear flange of the transfer case, rear cover and then fit a new bearing.

Image :cry:

Luckily the failure did not happen while we were out 4x4ing.
Last edited by SYRON CONVERSIONS on Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Silicone

Post by Riceburner »

Should never use silicone to asemble anything
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Silcon

Post by pietpetoors »

What do you use then?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Silicone

Post by Riceburner »

Permatex and paper gaskets. Paper gaskets swell when they absorb oil.
Berty

Re: Be aware when you use or work with Silicone Sealer

Post by Berty »

for liquid gaskets use YAMABOND. Grey paste in a tube made by yamaha, get it at any yamaha dealership. Especially for this purpose. On bikes its used after you have split the motor as a gasket is too thick. Seals the gearbox, crank case etc.
Arthur Bertram
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Welcome back Berty
The guy who used to work on my bike in PTA used Genkem, that real old creamy glue also referred to as "contact glue". He only used that and a bike never leaked a drop of oil once he worked on it.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

pietpetoors wrote:Welcome back Berty
The guy who used to work on my bike in PTA used Genkem, that real old creamy glue also referred to as "contact glue". He only used that and a bike never leaked a drop of oil once he worked on it.
Mmm that sounds like the one guy on the Nissan forum who told me to use that grey roof sealant/paint stuff to my seal Lux's head gasket with. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

While we where in Nam I replaced my fuel pump.I got a gasket with the new pump,but when I removed the old pump there was about a 1,5 cm spacer inbetween.On the one side was the gasket and the other side we used Gemkem.There is no oil leaking out their.So guess Gemkem is not to bad for emergencies.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I think the main thing is to use what ever you use in moderation as far as BMW is conserned the rule is gasket secured with a very thin layer of bostik super contact to hold paper gasket in place and to use a product called dry bond at all rough joints. Which means when you have a joint at right angles to each other then a small amount of dry bond can be used to seal the joint and no more. And it is not often we get leaks when this rule is followed. And for rubber gaskets the same aplies just with no bostik.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hello Berty

That stuff from Yamaha, what size tube does it come in, and what price, I bought some grey sealant from Mercedes Benz, it is used on the bare mating surfaces of the Mitsubishi Fuso gearboxes, they sell it for +-
R350. for a small tube about 250mm long.
Do you have a part number.

Thankyou
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”