4Y electronic Dizzy Checks

Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

4Y electronic Dizzy Checks

Post by Maddoglips »

Gents/Ladies

If you have the above mentioned, PLEASE for the sake of your own pockets and pride check the following on a regular basis.

Distributor cap carbon probes. 2 OF 1 at rotor and 1 at rear above centre of coil.

This is due to mine failing, lack of maintenance/checking and costing me to replace the following:

1:Dizzy cap R250

2: Rotor +-R100

3: Coil R750

4: :shh: :silent: :thumbdown: :oops: :oops: :oops: ( Being towed by an Isuzu after getting stuck in rush hour traffic)

There is no quick fix for this next to the road if you dont have a coil in the van.

The reason for the coil going, is that due to the higher resistance at which the coil has to work at, it arks inside itself blowing it, when like mine the contact is gone the van still runs as the spark jumps the gap to the cap and allows it to run.

If checked, I would've only had to have replaced the cap before the coil burnt out and saved R850 and the embarrasment.

As a temp till I recieved my new cap, I cleaned the hole where the contact should've been and used a pen's spring with a thin piece of copper wound inside as the contact.

Since replacing the above mentioned, I must say there is a huge difference in the "power" performance of my engine. This is due to now having a stronger and more reliable spark.

This may be of no use to many, but if it prevents at least 1 other person from having to be stranded or having to throw away good money it's worth it.
:evil:
Best of luck

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: 4Y electronic Dizzy Checks

Post by Mr_B »

Thanks Zane, as part of my normal services I inspect the disi cap contacts and rotor... and use light sand paper to clean off any carbon... I helped a friend out with his lux in the week, also found that the rotor had a pretty bad burnt out pitting on it... could have cost him a penny or 2 if the coil went...

Get yourself a tin of Electo-kleen( < R50 ), good stuff for cleaning carbon deposits and grime off electrical contacts!

Prevention is always better than cure, and always less expensive!

Mr B

Return to “Useful Articles”