Total votes: 16

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Winches Hydraulic or Electric 12 or 24 volt

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes mostly when we see a winch in operation it is when we are using it to recover our friends 4x4 that is stuck at a difficult angle or when their vehicles axles are completely stuck in mud.

However we have also used our 12 volt and Hydraulic winches for other applications as well, such as moving 12 and 6 meter shipping containers around in our gardens into their correct positions, however how many of you have a winch fitted to your vehicle and how often do you use it.

There are many brands available on the market, I am not going to say which ones are the best, but will say that the one that lasts the longest while winching for a long period is the best. Winches do overheat.

Mostly winches are not used, they are mounted either to the front or the rear of a vehicle for Just in case I get stuck
I am sure when a person walks into a fitment centre they are told that they need to fit a winch, but to do so a front bumper has to be fitted as well, then high lift points and then the person has to buy a igh Lift Jack etc etc.

This is why we have fitted a Hydraulic 12 000 lbs winch to our TJ Jeep Wrangler and an Electric 12 volt winch to my Hilux.

Yes 24 ot winches are also available this applicatin is used when fast winching aplications has to be used.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
patrick
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Nissan

Re: Winches Hydraulic or Electric 12 or 24 volt

Post by patrick »

This discussion always brings a fight to the table. Hydraulic or Electric? Well All I can say is that both of them have there pros and cons. The Hydraulic might not work so well in some cases and so for the electric. I prefer Hydraulic Power for many reasons but mainly because of the heating issues and damage electric can do to your battery. If US Military, British Military, Forestry Commision, Earth Movers and Enviroment Agency use them they cant be all that bad... :wink:
Certified distributors of Mile Marker products in South Africa
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

What is the price diffs between 12v and hydr?
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Ek voel 'n winch is net daar om jou pel uit die moeilikheid te help :shock: Hoe gereeld word die ding bebruik en hoe effektief is dit teenoor die geld gespandeer. As ek een het sal ek hom opsit maar weet nie wanneer ek hom sal gebruik nie. As jy so diep vassit dat jy moet winch het jy verseker 'n oordeels fout begaan om daar te beland. As jy extreme challenges doen word hy wel gebruik en sal dit verseker 'n moet wees op jou voertuig.

Sal ook graag die prysverskil wil weet tussen die lot
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Al rede hoekom ek self 'n winch sal opsit is sodat ek op my eie kan gaan speel as niemand wil saam gaan nie :)
To God be the glory
TopHilux Hilton
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: '91 Hilux DC 4x4 3.0L KZTE Eng.

Post by TopHilux Hilton »

I have a 8000lbs Warn fitted. I have used it countless times, either to recover myself or buddies, and even when hunting too. Cable over a branch, lift the animal (ma se Kudu Bull) and load onto another bakkie..
1991 Hilux D/Cab 4x4 3.0L KZTE Eng
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

And Hilton, do you sell the Kudu biltong, the season is on its way again............
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

If you have friends with isuzu's, colts, fords, land rovers, jeeps and other inferior equipment, you can earn yourself a few cases of beer with a good winch on an outing! :lol: :lol:
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “Recovery Equipment”