Kalahari/Nam tour

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Kalahari/Nam tour

Post by george »

Here is my trip report for our Kalahari/Nam tour.
Our departure date was the 28th of May. Before I get there a bit of preparation before we could leave. Thanks again to Allan (Hoppy) that helped me a lot. The Lux was serviced and suspension was sorted. Then I had to fit the RTT to the canopy. I managed to find Easy-Awn rails at a second hand shop and with the help of Allan I made brackets and fitted it to the canopy. I was a bit concerned about the flex of the canopy with the extra weight. Again brackets were made to connect the rails to the roll bar and it worked like a charm. I had a bit of an issue with my canopy door. it jumped open when I drive on corrugated roads. Allan suggested I remove the centre handle and replaced it with two handles on the side. Worked like a charm. Even got a toy badge to put over the centre hole.
Eventually we left on the 28th late the afternoon after work. Our first stop was Clanwilliam. We stayed at a very nice B&B where we also met our travelling companions.
The next morning we got off to an early start and went on our way to Upington. We took the road via Pakhys pass towards Nieuwoudtville. We stopped at the waterfall and “Kokerboom” woud. It was really great. I never saw so much “Kokerbooms” in one area. They were also in full bloom.
1.jpg
We then headed to Loeriesfontein where we met some people that our companions knew. There was a local function and we had the nicest “Kerrie vetkoeke” I tasted in quite some time. After that we headed to Brandvlei and then to Upington. Our aim was to watch the S14 final.I was glad a was driving the 2.7 and we got there on time. Then we experience one of our only disappointments. First the Stormers lost and the second one was that I booked us in at “Die Eiland” Holiday resort. I was there a couple of years back, but now the place has started to deteriorate. I will leave it at that. But next time I will stay at another place.
The next morning we headed to Tweerivieren. A very nice ride. We booked in at Tweerivieren and got our passports sorted and then headed to Nossob rest camp for 2 nights. On our way we saw Gemsbok,Springbok,Rooi and Blou Hartebeeste and a couple of birds.We sat up camp and had our first breathtaking night under the Kalahari stars.
2.jpg
3.jpg
The next morning we left on an early morning game ride with the park game ranger that was quite insightful and we drove some roads that were closed to the public. Unfortunately we did not saw lions. The rest of the afternoon we spent in the camp and late afternoon we went for a sunset drive.
The next morning we left for Mata-Mata rest camp. We were driven a long and making jokes on the radio when we spotted a leopard next to the road. Awesome. Our companions are the photographers with decent cameras and unfortunately I do not have their photos yet.
4.jpg
We setup camp at Mata-Mata and we even had our own night watchman.
5.jpg
It was actually quite eerie braaing 2 meteres away from this fellow.
The next morning we let RSA and headed into Nam. We headed to a farm close to Helmeringhausen. This was an excellent experience. It is a private commercial farm but they have a 4x4 route and also cater for hunting parties. They have a camping spot and chalets. This is one place I will visit again. We spent 2 nights on the farm and it was great. During the day we went on a hunting trip with the farmer. He shot 3x Gemsbok and a Springbok. We drove in his LC bakkie that is about 35 years old but that thing is a tank. What I like about Timmy(the farmer) is that he have a very echo approach. He have the Annetolian Shepard dogs and uses no gin traps.
6.jpg
We left there with heavy hearts. They where amazing people and I learnt a lot from them. If anyone wants to experience the south of Nam I can really recommend them.
We then headed to Sesriem Sossusvlei. We stayed there for 2 days. This was my 3rd time visiting the place and this is still my one of my favourite places. I just cannot get enough of the sunrise over the dunes. I must say the place has changed a lot. They have really started marketing this as a tourism destination and are looking like a town these days. We also visited the canyons.
7.jpg
8.jpg
We then headed to the Fish River canyon and camped at Hobas. We had some awesome sundowners on the canyons view point.
The next day we left for Kammieskroon. We slept there and then headed towards Cape Town.
Summary.
We had an amazing trouble free trip. Met some great folks.
The VHF comms was essential.
I nice feature from my GPS 276c was it also acted as a voltmeter for the second battery.
I drove about 4000km and the Lux was performing faultlessly
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Kalahari/Nam tour

Post by Traveler »

Ek is groen van jaloesie. :mrgreen:

Know what you don't know.
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

George, I am also green with envy. Apart from a Wartie, hyena is my next favorite animal. Having him that close for a braai... man!

And then you spend time at Sesriem/Sossus!!! I'm scared that by the time I get there, it'l look like Las Vegas!!!
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Daar was darm 'n draad tussen ons.
IMG_2645 (Small).jpg
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Traveler wrote:Ek is groen van jaloesie. :mrgreen:
Ek stem
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
koeka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: Toyota hilux D/C 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by koeka »

Hey George

Jy sal maak laat party van ons aan die huil gaan!! :cry: :cry: :cry: Omdat ons nie kon saamgaan nie :(
Koeka
Ek stoot eerder my Toyota!! voordat ek n Land Rover ry!!

ImageImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Spartan wrote:
Traveler wrote:Ek is groen van jaloesie. :mrgreen:
Ek stem
Ek is donker groen van jaloesie :evil: :evil:

Lyk hopeloos te lekker. Dankie vir die nice trip report en fodies
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Excellent report, George, and nicely illustrated. Many thanks for sharing!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Lekker Jorsie!! Bly om te hoor julle het dit geniet. Oor 24 slapies is dit ons beurt.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Very nice .... lovely to see so much animals :thumbup: Not to mention the beauty of Nam. eISH, I can't wait for December :silent:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Lovely trip :thumbup: Post some pics of the Fish Canyon.....pls (juat love that place!!!)
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

AWESOME !!! :clap:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Stunning George... really beautiful in Namibia... a place I'd love to visit...
george wrote:Unfortunately we did not saw lions.
:shock:

Jisee... sawing lions can be very dangerous... and I'm not sure that the lions really like it much! :shh:

:twisted:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I must admit this was one of my most trouble free trips. All my equipment worked well.(Tanks to all the inputs and ideas from this forum and members) :thumbup: The Engel was great and my second battery lasted,because we did a lot of driving. I got my Betton BX 2 from Eric and next time that will go with.
It always feels I have to much stuff when over landing. I took some time and tried to think what I can leave behind.but could not really find anything that was not necessary. The only stuff I did not use was all my recovery equipment,toolboxes,second spare and so on. Maybe a bit over the top but hey, you do not want to need it and dont have it. I also wanted to see how my fiber glass canopy operated, because I am used to an Alu cab. After this trip I decided to stick with the fibre glass.Works well for me. I was also in 2 minds about a spare wheel carrier vs a roof rack. After this I think I will opt for a roof rack.I can put the second spare on top together with some other stuff.
Here is some more pics
fish (Small).jpg
vis (Small).jpg
hel (Small).jpg
IMG_2988 (Small).jpg
aruab (Small).jpg
IMG_2362 (Small).jpg
IMG_2436 (Small).jpg
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Nog so 'n paartjies
IMG_2510 (Small).jpg
IMG_2627 (Small).jpg
IMG_2479 (Small).jpg
IMG_2485 (Small).jpg
IMG_2487 (Small).jpg
IMG_2473 (Small).jpg
IMG_2736 (Small).jpg
IMG_2715 (Small).jpg
IMG_2715 (Small).jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Nice George, ek is nou baie jaloers. Was julle by die sesriem canyon en by die vlei?

Is daai laaste 2 km tot by die viewpoint (Hobas) nog so vol los klippe?

Wat is die koste verbonde aan kampering by Sesriem?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Nice George, ek is nou baie jaloers. Was julle by die sesriem canyon en by die vlei?

Is daai laaste 2 km tot by die viewpoint (Hobas) nog so vol los klippe?

Wat is die koste verbonde aan kampering by Sesriem?
Ons was by die Sesriem Canyon
Die pad na Hobas se view point is baie goed.Hulle is besig om 'n groot storie te bou by die view point
Ek dink die koste was by die R700 'n nag vir die staanplek(maks ag persone) en dan toegansgeld van R60 per voertuig per dag en R10 pppd
IMG_2968 (Small).jpg
IMG_2968 (Small).jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx George, those canyons really bring back fond memories.

Hiked the F River twice :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Is dit moontlik om meer as groen van jaloesie te wees? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Know what you don't know.
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Traveler wrote:Is dit moontlik om meer as groen van jaloesie te wees? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jip. Dis daai kleur net voor die robot oorslaan rooi toe: Donkerste groen!
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Trip Reports”