Karoo Baviaans Trip

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1998 LR D1 V8i

Karoo Baviaans Trip

Post by Jurgen »

Hi All,

We had a very nice trip these holidays to the Karoo National Park. We were two SFA Hiluxes and four people. We travelled about 1200km of which at least 1000km was gravel road.

Starting of in PE we drove over Rocklands and out with the Elands river road into the Baviaans. Going there we took the top Baviaans route better known as the Groot Rivier Poort road. What lovely scenery, especially in the Poort area! The first night was spent at Dan’s Den camping site. The sometime have extreme 4x4 competitions there so the next morning we played a bit before we took the road to Finchley Farm close to Willowmore, which was also a very nice stop over. From Willowmore we went to the Karoo National Park for five nights.

The Karoo Park is a lovely place. One should go there not only for the game but more to appreciate the beautiful landscape and the vegetation – the Karoo has one of the most diverse ecosystems in the world. The campsite is very highly rated in magazines and we found it brilliant. There is a beautiful drive up Klipspringer Pass which also serves as the last stretch of the little 4x4 route in the park.

It rained the first two days so the parks board was reluctant to let me do the 4x4 trail. Eventually they gave in on the 3rd day and asked if I could let them know if their game drive vehicles would make it up the pass. They also said I could go for free. I would rate the 4x4 route a 2-3 because I only needed 4x4 up Pienaar’s pass. Scenery on the route would get an 11/10 though and it’s definitely worth a drive.

We also did the Badshoek 4x4 trail about 30km outside the park. There was one serious (I would rate at least 4) climb up a mountain where there were wires secured across the track, but other than that it was just 2WD farm road. The views were nice but the rest mediocre.

After a wonderful stay in the Karoo Park, with its beautiful swimming pool, we headed back through the Baviaans and spent our first night camping at the Makedaat Caves. Oom Boetie and his wife were very kind and they will definitely see me again. At Makedaat we did another 4x4 trail up the mountain which also has brilliant views and I would rate it 2-3 again.

On the last day of the year we decided to go do the little 3km hiking trail into the gorge at Bokloof about 22km from Makedaat towards Patensie side. The clouds were dark, but seeing the route was only 3km we decided to do it anyways. It’s a there back route and once we reached the gorge it started raining. We turned around and I took my father’s camera and ran for the Hilux to get the camera out of the rain. The river through the gorge was dry when we started and it hasn’t flown in 6 years but that day we were knee deep running in it. Long before I reached the vehicle it started hailing and thundering. I could see and hear the thunder simultaneously and it smelt like gun powder in the bush. Just before reaching the Hilux I ran into the farmer, Quintus, and his friend who came running to help us. I put the camera in the car and the car in the shed, took off my shirt – I was soaked right to my underpants – and ran back. Exiting the shed it feels like you are getting a hiding from the hail. After getting everyone to safety we waited in the shed till the storm subsided and then went into the farmhouse.

When we drove from Makedaat to Bokloof all the bridges was dry, but after the storm Quintus told us there’s no way we will get back now. We had 65mm rain in less than 30min! A guy in an X5 thought he would try drive back, but at the first crossing he sucked in some water. Quintus, also driving a Hilux, fetched him and his wife, and then went to the campsite which was situated on low ground. The road to the campsite is completely washed away and the campers are stuck in the hole! While he was busy with the campers I took the guy back to his X5 to see if there is anything we could do. But his engine is seized and being auto he was stuck in park. He asked if I could at least pull him out of the water, so I literally dragged him about 30m with his back wheels ploughing the mud. Later the evening when the rivers were past their maximum we travelled back on a very muddy wet road to Makedaat and had a nice braai. What an adventure the day was!

The next day after speaking to many people about the deepness of the water crossings, we decided to drive through the Baviaans back home. The road was washed away in many places which made for exciting driving! For those of you who have been trough the Baviaans – the part between Rooihoek and Poortjies can’t get any worse because it’s so washed away that you mostly drive on the bare rock!

Reaching home in the evening we really had a wonderful trip. I want to thank Quintus and his family at Bokloof for their hospitality. It’s nice to know that there are still people like you in this world! They will definitely see me again at Bokloof!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Jurgen
1998 LR D1 V8i
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200 DC 4x4 - sold with fond memories
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Karoo Baviaans Trip

Post by ThysdJ »

Sounds like a nice trip Jurgen. We've been thru the Baviaans twice and we enjoyed the scenery very much. Both times we went thru there was in winter and it was nice and nippy after sunset.

We've never been on the Groot Rivier Poort road though, but I can imagine it must be beautiful. Tell us more about that and can you post some pics??
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Jurgen,

Seems you had a most memorable time! Now we need pics!

Glad you enjoyed it!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Jurgen

That X5 was in our workshop :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Jurgen »

Small world! :) What was the damage like? Shame I really felt sorry for the guy!

I will post pics soon, just need to find a gap to resize them.

Cheers
Jurgen
1998 LR D1 V8i
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

The Engine is damaged sucked in to much water :( Pics would be great :!:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Jurgen »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, but here are some pics!

Cheers
Jurgen
Attachments
Coming back through Baviaanskloof
Coming back through Baviaanskloof
Badshoek 4x4 Trail
Badshoek 4x4 Trail
Karoo Campsite
Karoo Campsite
Karoo 4x4 Trail - Pienaars Pass
Karoo 4x4 Trail - Pienaars Pass
Finchley Farm Campsite
Finchley Farm Campsite
1998 LR D1 V8i
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Hey I smaak the Yellow Rocket. :twisted: :shock: 8)
It looks cool. Nice pics, I must go back there sometime.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Jurgen »

Dankie! :) Ja die Karoo sal my ook weer sien!
1998 LR D1 V8i
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Jurgen,

Lovely scenery! We need time, plenty of time, to tour this great country of ours!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Trip Reports”