Recent trip to Nam, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi and Moz

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
rinkhals68
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 3.0 4x4. TJM Bull bar, Dual Battery system, OME, Front Runner Roofrack, rocksliders, snorkel, winch.

Recent trip to Nam, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi and Moz

Post by rinkhals68 »

Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome and also the positive comments on “ Ujaba” –the fearless one!
The people have spoken- they want a trip report- so I guess as a ”Newbie” I have to give the people what they want! (I do want to apologise upfront thought….I have never done a trip report, I’m also not a writer and I haven’t read any of the previous trip reports to see what usually gets included!)
Well, with that out of the way, let’s start. Last year December a mate of mine said that he thinks we should do an overland trip - explore Southern/ East Africa. I had no idea where he wanted to go, how long this trip will be and what the cost will be, but I was keen. (Always a good start!) We started to bring a little more thinking and planning to the idea and decided that we should definitely try to do a circular route and not waste valuable time and resource to travel the same road there and back. Next question was where we should go and what shape the trip should take….

With all the public holidays in Aril/ beginning of May and a couple of days leave in between, we management to find ourselves about 3 and half weeks to do get to wherever and back. We decided to go up the West Coast and come back along the East coast of Africa and find the optimal route to link the two.
We then broadly landed on the following:
• Cape Town- Namibia- Botswana- Zambia- Malawi- Mozambique and then back to cape town through Mpumalanga, Free state and Karoo.
• We agreed the focus should be on Zambia, Malawi (none of us have been there before) and then also Mozambique…..just to wash of the dust in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean.
The itinerary was as follow:
• Cape Town to Ai Ais. (779km)
• Ai Ais to Hardap (Mariental)- exploring Fish river Canyon. (380 Km)
• Hardap to Buitepos (Namibia/ Botswana border). (437Km)
• Buitepos to Maun (543Km)
• Maun to Savuti
• Savuti- Kasane- Livingstone
• Livingstone- Lusaka
• Lusaka- Mfuwe (Crocodile Camp)
• Mfuwe- Chipata- Mchinji Border post –Lilongwe- Lake Malawi (Palm Beach)
• Palm Beach-Zobue Border Post(Mozambique)- Tete
• Tete- Cahora Bassa
• Cahora Bassa- Chimoio- Inchope
• Inchope- Inhassoro
• Inhassoro-Inhambane
• Inhambane- Maaracuene
• Marraacuene- South Africa

Lodging:
• Ai Ais. Namibia Wildlife Resorts- Cost R125/ person (camping)
• Hardap Resort. Namibia Wildlife Resorts- Cost R100/ person (camping)
• Buitepos. East Gate Resort– Cost R55/ person (camping)
• Maun. Crocodile Camp- Cost R50/ person (camping)
• Savuti. Savuti Campsite- R440/ person (including all permits)
• Livingstone. Livingstone Safari Lodge & Camp site. Cost $6/ person (camping)
• Lusaka. Pioneer Camp. Cost $7.50/ person (camping)
• Mfuwe South Luangwa. Crocodile Camp. Cost $7.50x/ person (camping)
• Palm Beach Malawi. Cost $ 7/ person (camping)
• Cahora Bassa – Umgezi Tiger Lodge. Cost USD xx/ person (camping)
• Mozambique- Sea side camping resorts.

General:
• Roads
o All major roads are in pretty good condition, besides for the section from Zobue to Tete- Major Potholes.
o Secondary roads also not bad- besides for the section from Crocodile Camp to Chipata. Can take up to 5 hours to complete the 150km journey. (They are however busy re-building the road)
• Supplies.
o Sticking to the major roads allows for stock-up every 2/3 days. (compliments of Mr. Whitey Basson’s expansion drive into Africa.) Spar and Shoprite stores in all mayor towns.
o Meat is of good quality and in general cheaper than in SA.
o Booze however is expensive- but hey- when you thirsty a cold Mozi or Windhoek is worth every cent!
o Wood is easy to come by- but when north of Lusaka be sure to try their charcoal!
• Fuel
o Each vehicle carried 2x Jerry Cans and that plus your standard tank will see you through to your next filling station.
o It is advisable to stock-up on injector cleaner and just add a bottle (500ml) to every second tank of diesel you put in. (Not always sure about the quality of the diesel or the pump rates- especially smaller towns)
o Botswana was the cheapest, with Malawi being the most expense.

• Medical
o Although there are hospitals in all major towns it is best not take any chances and stock up/ prepare for any emergency. (my rule is not prepare for the worst and experience the best!)
• Border Crossings.
o In general this went well- but ensure your paper work is in order.
 Vehicle registration papers (or authorization from bank/ owner to take it out of the country)
 Upon leaving SA ask Customs for a DA65 re-import permit for your vehicle and personal possessions.
 Cross Border insurance for your vehicle
 Third Party insure for every country. (can be obtained at the border post)
 Drivers Licence. (international driving permit not necessary, but also not a bad option)
 I had police clearance done on mine. (Remember to cancel when you get back!!!)
o Pre-determine what the costs are for each entry and ensure that you have sufficient currency. (illegal traders can be a nuisance and when they realize that you don’t have local currency to pay for permits the exchange rate they offer goes south!)

Overview.
• If I had to this all over, what will I do differently…- To be honest not a lot?!
o I’ll definitely spend the bulk of my time in Zambia. The area from Lusaka north east to South Luangwa is absolute paradise and any nature lovers dream. Some time in the Kafue National Market is also recommended
o Spend more time exploring South Luangwa game reserve and surrounds.
o Leave half the clothes I took home- you don’t need more than a couple of shorts, one jean, couple of shirts and one warm jacket. (most places are prepared to do your washing at a minimal fee)
• My biggest learning on this trip…??
o Never ever plot your final destination into your gps! Build your route, add various waypoints and stick to those. Plotting your final destination might well mean that the system calculate and take you on a route less travelled – not a problem in itself, but if there is no road, no traffic in a 1000 sea miles and you do need help then you B for buggered!
o When we left Lusaka we put in Crocodile Camp and at Petauke the GPS took us of the main road and indicated a secondary road. Although I have cross referenced the GPS recommended route with the paper map and it all looked ok- it was a road from hell. (At least I can say I completed my own leg of the Camel Trophy- that what it looked and felt like).
o For the first 40/ 50 km everything was ok-ish..the road was bad, but hey it is Africa and we wanted to get off the beaten track- but we were faced with for the middle 50km wasn’t planned. The road, where there was one, was nothing but a single lane foot path, the bush was really dense and at times we had to stop and reassess where we were and where to from there. The road would literally disappear and force you to walk and try and find it again…. Doing this at night is also not everyone’s idea of fun!
o Looking back- the Petauke ordeal is actually a big part of what made our trip so special and memorable….so the jury is still out if it was a good or a bad thing!!!
o Luckily we were well prepared. Each vehicle had a full set of recovery gear and we needed all of that when the Pajero and Trailer got stuck in the Luapanda river….This recovery happened 23.30 at night…they say life is all about new experiences…!!

• Highlight of the Trip.
o Zambia and greater South Luangwa area.
o The wild life is amazing- you need to spend at least a week there and even that won’t be enough!
o At Crocodile Camp we had Hippo’s at night crazing in the camp, we had Elephants come visiting us and my personal highlight……at the entrance to the camp six lion pulled down a giraffe- a mere 300 m from where we were camping! (This must have happened around 03.00 in the morning as we were woken by the roar of satisfied and happy lions!)
• I will definitely go back there – I now know what to expect, where to spent more time and how to get even more from the trip….I’ve established some great contacts and overall I think it can only be even more awesome…..Shall we not get a couple of vehicles together and go and explore…… I know I’m in…..!!

Photo's to follow!
Nature is Calling- Let's Go Bos!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Recent trip to Nam, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi and Moz

Post by Mud Dog »

Dries, I won't even say " for a first attempt" ..... Excellent report, finish and klaar! Well done! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ... now all you need to complete it, is the pics. :lol: (Looking forward to those even more so than before! ;-) )
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ja nee Dries.... daai is excellent even vir 'n gesoute hand. Soos Andy sê... nou vir daai fotos :twisted:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Shot, Dries!

Excellent report, well-written and most informative! :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Nice report so far Dies....sorry not nice, awsome :!:

How many km's total trip? and fuel costs if you have that especially Zambia?

Looking forward to the pics....and , please don't be shy :thumbup:
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Great report, Dries.
ImageImageImage
rinkhals68
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 3.0 4x4. TJM Bull bar, Dual Battery system, OME, Front Runner Roofrack, rocksliders, snorkel, winch.

Post by rinkhals68 »

Ons het so by die 9000km gery en my gemiddelde brandstof verbruik was 8.3km/L. (Tot en met die tyd wat ons by Nelspruit gekom het op pad terug was dit nog 8.7km/L, maar soos die huis nader gekom het het die voet al swaarder geraak!)

Ek het nou weer die somme gaan maak en het so net onder 1100L se diesel ingegooi, wat my omtrent so gemiddeld R10.50?Liter gekos het- so R11500 of dan so R1.25 /km. (Diesel het se net oor die 50% van ons koste uit gemaak)

Dit mag dalk na baie klink, maar vir die 3 weke het ek en ma weg gekom teen n koste van net onder die R500 vir die 2 van ons per dag....Dit sluit in reis(diesel), blyplek, kos en drankies..die hele werke! Ek dink regtig nie dit is baie nie, probeer oor n paasnaweek iewers hier boek en dit gan jou nie veel minder n dag kos nie....Vir my was die trip elke sent werd en ek sal dit more weer doen as ek kan!

Dries
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

:thumbup: Tx, not bad at all, one of the thing I like about being 'mobile', camping, self sufficient and so on :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dries, I am going on pension soon ...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

OOOOMS wrote:Dries, I am going on pension soon ...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:laugh2: I'd better not comment! :laugh2: :laugh2:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rinkhals68
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rinkhals68 »

OOOOMS,

I still have to work a good number of years before I can go on pension, but OOOOMS that's not gonna stop me to squeeze in a few more of these trips before then....!

Unless you want to offer me a job as your "skivvie" on all the trips you about to embark on....then I can resign tomorrow.... prepared to work for a meal and a cold one or two.... (Will bring own tent!)
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

rinkhals68 wrote:OOOOMS,

I still have to work a good number of years before I can go on pension, but OOOOMS that's not gonna stop me to squeeze in a few more of these trips before then....!

Unless you want to offer me a job as your "skivvie" on all the trips you about to embark on....then I can resign tomorrow.... prepared to work for a meal and a cold one or two.... (Will bring own tent!)
:alarmclock: :alarmclock: :alarmclock: :okay: :reading: :reading: :reading:
rob-ffrey
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 2.4 Hilux D/C

Post by rob-ffrey »

Sounds awesome, I was / am planning a similar trip that will take me to the same countries only I will go for 4 months. by the sounds of it I should get a move on and just do it.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Great trip report,allready using some of your info.Just one ? did u guys us the ferry crossing at Kasane(Kazungula ferry) into Zambia,if so have u got the costs involved?Yet again great report :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
rinkhals68
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rinkhals68 »

Hi,

Yes we did use the ferry at Kasane...cost I think was USD27.00

Curency runners there can drive you nuts, but they are a great help in showing you where to go to get all the paperwork sorted- there are 5 different "offices" you need to go to before you all clear to leave. (emission tax, TIP taxes, road levy tax, third party insurance etc)

Be sure to know you know more or less what the current exchange rate is otherwise these guys will rip you off...they charge around 100-150 000 zambian kwatcha for their "services"...., but well worth it. (if you dont know where to go / you have never been there before rather use then- it is R100/R150 well spend....will save you a lot of frustrations...)

Hope that helps...

Return to “Trip Reports”